Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Dimming LED lights

Took delivery on the new camper today. We're not used to the bright white LED lighting. We're more interested in subtle ambiant lighting at night. Looking to keep the romance going if you know what I mean. Right now I feel like I'm at a used car lot at night. Nothing romantic about that. I thought I saw a few threads on dimming the LED lights. Please help
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #2

Congrats on the new Jayco! You are right, there have been many threads about this subject. I tried to search for "led" and nothing came up. So I quickly scanned the Mods threads and found one right away. Here is the link.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...hts-27807.html

I hope to do the very same mod myself. It's on my to do list. That light strip is far too bright without a dimmer on it.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Yes that's the thread I saw before thanks. I need to do something like that to the interior lights. Gotta keep the mood going. I'm going to order that controller with the wireless remote from Amazon.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #4

I put one of the inexpensive dimmers on the awning strip and it worked fine until the dealer "fixed" my awning lights as they did not turn on when he tried the switch. He cut my Dimmer out right at the little unit so I can't put it back in. (They will pay for a new one tho.). I also put a second identical Dimmer on the dinette lights but it caused the fixtures to hum. (Very annoying). I removed that Dimmer and am leaving the interior lights alone. (We usually have a single votive candle on the dinette table. It is sufficient light for most purposes).
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #5

Sounds like you don't like the color or harshness of the lights. Pull one of your bulbs out and see what style plug it has and search ebay for replacement bulbs. Don't buy anything unless it tells you what KV (kelvin) the bulbs put out. Around 2700k is comparable to an incandescent bulb. If you can find a lower k bulb it will be more romantic for you.

Usually the corn cob style bulbs are dimmer than the panel ones.

Cheers
Old 10-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #6

When we need light to cook or whatever, we turn on the main switch and all the overhead lights are on. When we want more "moody" we only turn on the one over the couch and over the sink. So you might want to experiment a bit. Not sure what type of fixtures your trailer has but I can turn off individual fixtures if I don't want them on.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

For the time being we've been using the wall sconce and overhead table light. Those give off a nicer soft light due to the shades. We also turn on the under counter lights and stove light. It seems to be working for now