Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #1

DirecTV HD

I am ready to hook up camper to a satellite dish. I am going to switch my service at home from cable to either Dish Network or DirecTV, and get service for the camper at the same time.

My question is about HD service for DirecTV. The Tailgater is a really nice portable, automatic dish for Dish Network in HD. I can't find any kind of a similar product for DirecTV. Does anybody know if such a product exists?
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:02 PM   #2

No. The only Direct TV dish for HD is the Winegard Traveler which is a roof mounted auto unit that looks like a residential dish.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
No. The only Direct TV dish for HD is the Winegard Traveler which is a roof mounted auto unit that looks like a residential dish.

Thanks. That's what I've been finding. The only HD options for DirecTV are very expensive roof mounts or a tripod dish with very limited receiver options.

It's really a shame. DirecTV has programming packages that better meet my needs than Dish Network, but the lack of HD is a deal breaker.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post

It's really a shame. DirecTV has programming packages that better meet my needs than Dish Network, but the lack of HD is a deal breaker.
Unfortunately they shot themselves in the foot with all the programming and options. They don't have enought transponders on the right satellites for the small portable units to work.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #5

We switched to dish. I found a tailgater and 211 receiver on Craigslist for $300.
I called the 211 in and added it for $7 month extra. I now take the tailgator to hunting camp...fishing camp...wherever, and of course in the RV. Love it.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #6

We have HD DirecTV with the Travler' Dish from Winegard. It's awesome. Get to the site, set up the TT nice and level, push the button, WHAM! DirecTV! Works great!

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #7

We have DirecTV at both our winter and summer homes, and carry the Genie receiver and remotes back and forth. For the MH we bought a Slimline dish and tripod from TV4RV.com and set that up at the CG, again carrying the receiver etc. That way you don't have to pay DirectTV any extra fees.
Since we almost always stay in State Park CGs, which tend to have a lot of trees, a roof mounted unit did not seem feasible. It takes about 30 min to set up the dish and system, assuming the CG has a clear line of sight to the satellites. Voila, HD TV!

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #8

There are several of us on here who use direct TV exclusively. I am a football nut and have to have the NFL package which is only available on direct TV. I bought a heavy duty tripod especially for direct TVs hd dish for around $100 from tv4rv online. Shipped it to me within a week. You can find HD dish's all over the place that have been abandoned or just find a local direct TV installer and he will probably set you up with one. We just carry one of our three receivers from home with us and we are all set. I don't think I have been to any place that I have not been able to set up my receiver. I do carry 100 feet of coax so I can move the dish around to a good spot. All in how much trouble you want to go to or how much money you want to spend. Roof top units were no good in shady locations and also too much money for my blood.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote