Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #1

DirecTV Whole Home System in 5'er

I got it hooked up today. I have been working on getting the right DVR's or receivers for months without paying DirecTV the $199.00 they want to install their Whole Home system. I finally made it.
My system starts with the DirecTV SWM LNB (single wire module). I have two DVR's, one in the living room and another in the bed room. One of the DVR's was installed today as a free upgrade from DirecTV. This new DVR is a HR24/200 model and has the DECA module built in. I did have to acquire one more DECA for my original DVR (don't ask me how I acquired it). I hooked it all up, called DirecTV and had them turn on Whole Home and it started working within about 5 minutes.
So far is it really nice.
Now I can record 4 different channels at the same time while watching two previously recorded programs. Now if I can figure out how to watch two TV's at the same time on different ends of the 5'er.........

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #2

Sorry, ya gotta remember I'm the techy challenged one in the group. Asked Don and he has no clue either. We have DirectTV with two receivers plus a spare for the tt and are way past our contract. We are considering cancelling to work out an upgrade without further $$$ etc. What the heck is "HR24/200 model and has the DECA module"? We do plan to elimate the third unit, keep the main two, and take one of the main receivers with us when we hit the road again.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:24 AM   #3

I had two receivers. Both were HD and one of them was a DVR. The HD receiver (non DVR) was old enough to qualify for a free upgrade to a DVR. It does extend your contract again, but I'm not planning on living without DirecTV anyway, so that didn't bother me.
If you have multiple receivers you can set them up so you can view programs from one on the other (whole home). DirecTV wants $199.00 to come to your home and set this up which I didn't want to pay. In order for the whole system to work you must have DirecTV's SWM (single wire module) system. This starts with a SWM LNB on your dish. Then you have a single RG6 coax goes from the dish to the input connection on the outside of your RV. Inside the RV you have to have a SWM Power Inserter, then to a SWM signal splitter. From the splitter you go to each of your receivers/DVR's.
In order for the two receivers/DVR's to talk to each other you must have a DECA module in the coax between the splitter and each receiver. The new DVR I just upgraded to has the DECA built in. My older DVR had to have an external DECA in the coax line. Then the two units can talk to each other and you an watch programs from either one on the other. You don't have to have two DVR's. Only one has to be a DVR and you could watch DVR programs on your receiver only in the other room.
I did contact Jayco to get a wiring schematic for my Designer so I would know which coax went to the bedroom so I could hook it to the SWM splitter.
Once I got all of this straight in my mind the hookup was very simple. DirecTV wants you to think it is complicated so they can justify the $199.00. You might call them and see if you can get an upgrade to a DVR for free with one of your old receivers. It never hurts to ask.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 05-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #4

Thanks for the info Ed. The one thing we missed when leaving DISH three years ago, was that ability to watch recorded shows from either of two rooms from just one receiver. It's nice that Direct has this upgrade now. We still have to call DirectTv and get updated
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #5

We have Directv Whole Home as well another nice feature that I like is when we go on trips with my parents (They have a 97 Eagle 5er) we hook up one dish and connect their HD reciever to the SWM and share my DVR
Old 05-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #6

I never thought of doing that, but interesting idea.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #7

I had the sattelite systems at one time too, our service up here is not as good as Direct Tv so I felt the monthly bill was not worth it. Buddy of mine turned me onto free digital tv, so have the remote control dish on my ladder on the back of the fiver and two controllers inside, one for the living room and one for the bedroom. Have to say after about a year and a half, for me its the way to go. Cost me about 250.00 for all the hardware, but no monthly bills.

Here at my shop I get about 20 channels, all digital. If I can't get a station, i have the wireless remote to turn the antenna inside the dish to zero in on the signal. Remember the days when your dad was yelling across the house while your turning in the old anoloque antenna's, lol yea times are changing.