Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #1

Do check your generator output....

We have a 7500W "lug about" generator that we connect to our country stick house. Approx 4 times a year (for the last 3 years), we simply connect its output and use it. For the last few times, I've noticed our generator was louder then usual. But, didn't think nothing of it. Last night (while using the generator during a 3 hour black out), our home's dimmer light switch was "all the way down" and the light was still on. WOW. Much brighter then I remember - when using regional grid power.

Today, I took my low cost hand held Volt Meter and tested my home's kitchen outlet. Display solid at 119 Volts. Between 110 - 120 is perfect. I started my generator and tested its outlet and to my surprise, 146 Volts. WOW - way too much volts. I took a little screw driver and turned down its gas engine RPM. Simple 1/4 turn on its idle screw. Now, output of the same generator outlet is between 116 - 122 Volts (since engine RPM isn't 100% constant). And, its gas engine is now much quieter as well.

If you have a generator for your stick home or RV, do test its output AC range as well. Simple low cost volt meter (re: http://www.northerntool.com/images/p.../163100_lg.jpg ) works great.

Hope this helps others...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #2

Odd that it would do that on its own...made you wonder if something else is wrong. I had something similar happen and it ended up being a gummed up Governor.

I would also check the frequency output and make sure you are still on the money. Changing the RPM can sometimes impact that as well...

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote