Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #1

Dometic Fridge not cooling possible 12V issue?

Hey all,

We just picked up our new Jayco 17XFD yesterday and will post pics and details in another thread.

I'm having a newb issue already and I left a voicemail at my dealer's service desk on this too.

At the dealer we did a through PDI and all systems were good to go there, including the fridge (it was cool there). Hooked the trailer up to our car and drove it for 3 hours back to our house.

The gremlins started when we parked the trailer and disconnected it from the car. The electric jack worked for a little bit and then quit. I also noticed that the sway command light stayed on for a few minutes after the trailer was disconnected. Because of a heavy thunderstorm, I ran to our 30A RV outlet we installed at the house and plugged the trailer to shore power and continued unhitching the trailer to the van, now that the power jack was back to working.

After the rain, I came inside and turned on the AC and fridge while the wife and I started decorating and filling up the trailer with our stuff. Its then I noticed that the check light was on for the fridge. The fridge was set to auto and I could hear the unit clicking a few times searching for gas, too. I had the propane shut off and wanted the unit to work off shore power. I thought the check light staying on was odd, so I reset the fridge. A few minutes later auto and check light are still on.

I called it a night, leaving the fridge on auto and plugged into shore to see if overnight it would cool down. This morning it was not cool, with both lights still on. I shutoff all the breakers, unplugged the trailer and measured my battery voltage at 12.95. Then I connected the RV outlet to my Progressive surge protector and then fired everything back up, this time with propane open. The fridge fired up the propane pilot light. Inside it was still set to auto but this time the check light was off (probably because it found propane). I gave a few minutes and it seemed to start working. I then turned off propane (leaving the fridge on auto), and a few minutes later the check light was on. A few hours later and it still doesn't cool.

I'm wondering if I have a 12V issue somewhere and the fridge isn't quite reading that I'm on shore power and trying to use gas instead. All my other electrical items work with shorepower.

Thought about looking at the fuse on the service side of the fridge (read that there is one glass one back there somewhere). Just wondering if you guys had experience and maybe its just user error?

Thanks,
Old 04-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
Site Team

I agree, you have no or low 12vdc. Don't know where to tell you to start. If you have a voltmeter start checking.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #3

Perhaps the 115VAC is missing to the fridge. Check the breakers on your converter first. You'll have to cycle the one for the fridge if it's not shown as being tripped. It could be tripped without moving the breaker handle so turn the breaker off and back on.

If that doesn't fix it, check the outlet where the fridge is plugged in. You'll have to open the lower vent outside of the trailer behind the fridge. You'll find an outlet there where the fridge is plugged in. See if it's hot.

If the outlet is hot, then you've got a possible problem with the control board. In that case it's probably time for the dealer to check it out.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestoy7 View Post
Hey all,

We just picked up our new Jayco 17XFD yesterday and will post pics and details in another thread.

I'm having a newb issue already and I left a voicemail at my dealer's service desk on this too.

At the dealer we did a through PDI and all systems were good to go there, including the fridge (it was cool there). Hooked the trailer up to our car and drove it for 3 hours back to our house.

The gremlins started when we parked the trailer and disconnected it from the car. The electric jack worked for a little bit and then quit. I also noticed that the sway command light stayed on for a few minutes after the trailer was disconnected. Because of a heavy thunderstorm, I ran to our 30A RV outlet we installed at the house and plugged the trailer to shore power and continued unhitching the trailer to the van, now that the power jack was back to working.

After the rain, I came inside and turned on the AC and fridge while the wife and I started decorating and filling up the trailer with our stuff. Its then I noticed that the check light was on for the fridge. The fridge was set to auto and I could hear the unit clicking a few times searching for gas, too. I had the propane shut off and wanted the unit to work off shore power. I thought the check light staying on was odd, so I reset the fridge. A few minutes later auto and check light are still on.

I called it a night, leaving the fridge on auto and plugged into shore to see if overnight it would cool down. This morning it was not cool, with both lights still on. I shutoff all the breakers, unplugged the trailer and measured my battery voltage at 12.95. Then I connected the RV outlet to my Progressive surge protector and then fired everything back up, this time with propane open. The fridge fired up the propane pilot light. Inside it was still set to auto but this time the check light was off (probably because it found propane). I gave a few minutes and it seemed to start working. I then turned off propane (leaving the fridge on auto), and a few minutes later the check light was on. A few hours later and it still doesn't cool.

I'm wondering if I have a 12V issue somewhere and the fridge isn't quite reading that I'm on shore power and trying to use gas instead. All my other electrical items work with shorepower.

Thought about looking at the fuse on the service side of the fridge (read that there is one glass one back there somewhere). Just wondering if you guys had experience and maybe its just user error?

Thanks,
So, based on what you are saying. You have 12V when plugged in and your batteries seem to be charged. The refridge is getting 12V otherwise it would not start, even on propane. I would suspect it is not getting 120VAC someplace, that is why it switches to propane when in auto mode.
Check breakers and measure 120V at the breaker output. The refridge may actually have an outlet mounted behind the outside cover where it plugs, check that as well.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #5

Class Action lawsuit filed this week against Dometic.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Perhaps the 115VAC is missing to the fridge. Check the breakers on your converter first. You'll have to cycle the one for the fridge if it's not shown as being tripped. It could be tripped without moving the breaker handle so turn the breaker off and back on.

If that doesn't fix it, check the outlet where the fridge is plugged in. You'll have to open the lower vent outside of the trailer behind the fridge. You'll find an outlet there where the fridge is plugged in. See if it's hot.

If the outlet is hot, then you've got a possible problem with the control board. In that case it's probably time for the dealer to check it out.
Ha! It was the outlet for the fridge! You guys are awesome. The plug wasn't fully in. One of the wires was blocking the plug from being fully in.

A few hours after plugging it in properly and it's starting to cool.

Thank you and Dan so much!
Old 04-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #7

Nothing beats success! Glad you found the problem.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestoy7 View Post
Ha! It was the outlet for the fridge! You guys are awesome. The plug wasn't fully in. One of the wires was blocking the plug from being fully in.

A few hours after plugging it in properly and it's starting to cool.

Thank you and Dan so much!
Glad to hear you figured the fridge issue out!

This forum has some great people on it...

Have you tried to run the Jack again with the camper unplugged from 110v?
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:53 PM   #9
Site Team

Great!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post
Glad to hear you figured the fridge issue out!

This forum has some great people on it...

Have you tried to run the Jack again with the camper unplugged from 110v?
It sure does, you included!

I'm going to bring the trailer back into my yard within the next few days and I'll try the jack then.