Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #1

Electric Awning LED lights to bright

I know there have been a couple of comments made about how bright the LED lights are that come on the newer trailers. I have not seen any confirmed solutions to dimming the lights and or disconnecting them. I really like them but they are way way way to bright. If anyone can recommend a dimmer I would appreciate it. Thanks
Portabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #2

our 2013 did not come with the LED awning lights and I am glad about this. I bought a color strip from Amazon and went the entire length of the trailer. They change colors and are dim-able. Maybe Jayco will add this feature in the future. It is a great feature to have them dimmed while sitting around the fire.
Attached Thumbnails
Blue lights at night.jpg  

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #3

Portabull, I second the dimmer, What I've done is to rotate the awning so it's shinning toward your camper not in your face
Old 03-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #4

I think this dimmer from SuperBright is what I would use. The price is right ($14.95) and I bet you could mount near your switch.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I think this dimmer from SuperBright is what I would use. The price is right ($14.95) and I bet you could mount near your switch.

I use that exact same dimmer, works great.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:47 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the right unit. It puts out the pulse needed for Led to operate. The only other question would be how will it effect the standard step light that is tied into the same power switch as the LED strip? Worst case scenario I see is to take the bulb out of the step light or replace it with a small LED?
Thanks again love this site. Tired of the snow in the northeast here. Got spring fever!
Old 03-10-2014, 01:39 AM   #7

Quote:

+1 on these dimmers. I have two of them working inside the trailer.
They are available on ebay for ~$3.50 w/free shipping.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #8

For those who have the dimmer mentioned above, do you have the factory LED in your trailer? If so, how did you go about wiring this dimmer? Would you just replace the factory switch? Replacing the incandescent stair light with LED would be really easy for me because I have a couple extra bulbs hanging around...

I'm going to be getting into my control center to mount a small courtesy light anyway, so it would be pretty cool to install a dimmer at the same time if I could.

There was another post last year about the dimming the factory LED strip, but I think it just kind of fizzled out...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:55 AM   #9

Yes a wiring help would be great!
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #10

On my unit, if I was going to wire it in, I have lots of room behind my control panel where my switches are located. So that is where I would install it.

So I would leave the rocker switch (master shutoff). To mount the unit I would drill a small hole through the wall to fit the shaft of the knob. Then cut some scrap wood to fit between the paneling and the base plate where the mounting screws are located. Glue the two boards in place. Drill and screw the dimmer in place. Then to wire it up, I would disconnect the output wire from the rocker switch (use a meter to determine the power feed). I would take that wire and connect it to the dimmer. You might need to look at the wiring diagram for the dimmer to see if there is a particular terminal that is needed to be used. Then I would add a jumper wire between the rocker switch, where the wire was removed from to the dimmer. Presto you have it installed. Here is a super simplified picture of the wiring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dimmer Switch.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	11813

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #11

Quote:
On my unit, if I was going to wire it in, I have lots of room behind my control panel where my switches are located. So that is where I would install it.

So I would leave the rocker switch (master shutoff). To mount the unit I would drill a small hole through the wall to fit the shaft of the knob. Then cut some scrap wood to fit between the paneling and the base plate where the mounting screws are located. Glue the two boards in place. Drill and screw the dimmer in place. Then to wire it up, I would disconnect the output wire from the rocker switch (use a meter to determine the power feed). I would take that wire and connect it to the dimmer. You might need to look at the wiring diagram for the dimmer to see if there is a particular terminal that is needed to be used. Then I would add a jumper wire between the rocker switch, where the wire was removed from to the dimmer. Presto you have it installed. Here is a super simplified picture of the wiring.

Attachment 11813
I have pretty much done exactly what Jagiven has suggested.

Replaced all the 921 bulbs with these type eBay LED's

Simply take the controller out of it's plastic box and secure using the pot stem housing/nut.

On the switch that controls the 3 main overheads, I kept the original rocker and drilled a hole in the wall plate to feed the LED Controller's pot. Wire in series on the hot side, maintain polarity on the controller and done.
Just flip the rocker and twirl the pot.

Also put one on the dining table overhead fixture, Just drilled a hole near the on/off button and mounted the control board inside the fixture. Fixture is metal so I provided some extra insulation (duct tape) to avoid static arcs/shorts.

Very easy installs and works wonderfully.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #12

Here is the issue I found now. The ROCKER switch is a momentary switch. Push on and it springs back. Push off and it springs back. In this case it must activate a relay somewhere to turn it on and off. The rocker switch has three wires. 1 ground 1 hot out and a constant hot running through it and to other switches in the panel. I have the exact dimmer that others have specified and can't figure it out. My electrician who does a lot of LED thinks it's activating a relay which totally makes sense to me. I'm good w DC not AC. any ideas re welcome. Thanks guys/gals
Old 03-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #13

Interesting! Mine is definitely a standard rocker, not sure how its wired though...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote