Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #1

Electric fans for speeding up fridge cool down?

Has anyone tried using small computer/amp cooling fans to help speed up the cool down of an RV fridge? I am finishing up installing 4 fans; 1 inside the fridge and 3 external fans to hopefully speed up heat transfer and cool down...wondered if others have tried it.
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #2

I have a two fan configuration inside the fridge and it is a huge help! It was a fan deal I purchased on ebay....I had limited success with the fan outside the fridge.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:44 AM   #3

Same as Terry. The two fan config inside has worked great for me here in the south TX heat
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #4

Thanks...good to know. What type of fans are you guys running?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #5

bbrown, the link below is the type I use which I got off ebay. You run the hot wire down the drain tube to tie into the power wire of the fridge, the circuit is complete and will run when you clip the fan onto the fins in the fridge (ground)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Refrigera...t_10178wt_1136
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
Old 06-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #6

Interesting idea. If it is blowing when the door is open it'll probably kick more cold air out of the unit than would just roll out without the fan. It would also increase battery current drain fairly significantly when off grid. The power difference would be insignificant when plugged in.

Has anyone noticed whether it changes the relative temperatures (delta) of the freezer compartment and the refrigerated section? I'm not saying that would be a real problem or bad thing. I'm just curious as to whether it affects the overall operation. vic
Old 06-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #7

VicS1950,
The fan I installed blows air toward/onto the fins not out the door. The fan draws only 0.12 amps/1.44 watts. You can do a search within this forum, there are many threads regarding the topic and how well they have worked.
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
Interesting idea. If it is blowing when the door is open it'll probably kick more cold air out of the unit than would just roll out without the fan. It would also increase battery current drain fairly significantly when off grid. The power difference would be insignificant when plugged in.

Has anyone noticed whether it changes the relative temperatures (delta) of the freezer compartment and the refrigerated section? I'm not saying that would be a real problem or bad thing. I'm just curious as to whether it affects the overall operation. vic

The most noticeable benefit of the fridge fan seems to be the reduction/elimination of frost and/or ice buildup on the fins. I wouldn't hazard a guess on how much air movement around the fridge section takes place since the fans are very small, or whether it contributes to faster cool down of the fridge and freezer section. Think a fan at the top of the fridge vent would help with cooling speed. If you have ever traveled with your fridge on, you have probably noticed that from a "dead" start (warm fridge), after an hour or so travel, the freezer is usually below 32 degrees and the fridge section has cooled to below 40 degrees. The more heat absorbed by the refrigerant and carried away by airflow over the RV roof, the faster the fridge seems to cool down.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #9

Nice fan rig! I had no idea ebay or any retailer offered a specific RV fridge fan set. I'm using adapted standard 3.5" PC cooling fans and some of the more exotic horizontal 8" amp cooling fans...these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/21647872?w...l5=pla&veh=sem
I've got one inside the fridge blowing up through the fins and one more of the 8 inch long fans externally mounted that blows up through the heat excanger piping outside. The previous owner installed 2 of the standard 3.5" PC fans at the top of the vent stack to draw the hot air up and out. Also, the fans are controlled manually by a switch on the outside...I only run them when starting up the fridge and without the fans it would normally take 8-10 hours when it's 80+ degrees outside, before the fridge is at or below 40. The freezer section gets frozen a lot faster on it's own so I wanted to speed up the fridge. On the night before we get hooked up to go camping...I'll go start up the fridge and by the next day or overnight, we can put our food and stuff in for travel. Most times its barely gotten cold enough on its own so the fans should solve that.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmnile View Post
The most noticeable benefit of the fridge fan seems to be the reduction/elimination of frost and/or ice buildup on the fins. ...
Thanks. That sounds like a nice benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer03 View Post
VicS1950,
The fan I installed blows air toward/onto the fins not out the door. The fan draws only 0.12 amps/1.44 watts. ...
I did mention that it wouldn't matter when plugged in.

If you accept that the typical propane RV refrigerator draws about 0.5 amp operating current, even though 0.12 amps sounds minimal, it is a 20% increase in consumption. I know many people who would love to avoid a 20% increase in appliance 12 volt consumption when off-grid.

Some of the RV refrigerator units also have a 12 volt heater on the door seal. I know that power consumption isn't a priority with most TT campers. It can't hurt to increase awareness for those who may spend an occasional night without pedestal/shore power. vic
Old 06-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #11

This was actually one of the first mods I did to my TT. It has made a difference, especially on warm humid days.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #12

I have the fan unit shown in the ebay listing above. We have only used it twice this year (cold wet spring). It does a good job keeping the ice off the fins. We actually turned down the frig one setting, otherwise the frig thermostat says the interior temp of the frig is ~31 degrees. We also have not noticed any issues with the freezer temperatures.

We turn the frig on the day before we go grocery shopping. This last trip we had a big rain storm that morning and somehow the GFI (on the house) tripped. I noticed it when I got home from work, and I would guess the frig was off most of the day, and unfortunately I did not have the propane on. The frig temp was 60 degrees, I reset the GFI. After dinner we went shopping and by the time we got home the frig temps were right in the safe zone. I would guess it was it was 2-3 hours later. Before the fan I would guess it would have been sometime in the morning before the frig temps were safe.

What I am looking forward to is on bigger trips when the frig is packed. Last year on those trips we actually had some fruit and veggies on the bottom of the frig freeze. I fully expect with the air movement we will eliminate this issue.

As for opening the door and blowing out all the cold air. That is not an issue, unless you really like to window shop. The air has no thermal mass to speak of, in comparison to the solids in the frig. The frig will recover quite quickly.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
As for opening the door and blowing out all the cold air. That is not an issue, unless you really like to window shop. The air has no thermal mass to speak of, in comparison to the solids in the frig. The frig will recover quite quickly.
A very good point.

But...

Clearly you haven't lived with my refrigerator perusing children, and more recently the grandkids they have spawned. vic
Old 06-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #14

I too purchased one from Ebay. It was one of the first mods I did. I only camp at Myrtle Beach and in the summer it is hot and humid. I am pleased with the results from the fan. I actually lowered the setting by 1. I don't think it actually makes it cool any faster, but I think it makes it more efficent. just my 2 cents.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #15

Just ordered (jun 4)/received (jun 8) and installed (jun 9) the Ebay twin fan unit in our Norcold. 5 minute install and works great! Thanks to this thread!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #16

So whats best (as far as position) to mount blowing onto the cooling fins or just to circulate the air inside the fridge?
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #17

If you get the twin fan setup from ebay, the clip that attaches the fan to the fins (and provides the ground) pretty much sets the location vertically, circulating air onto the fins. Laterally you can move it right or left or center.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #18

Recently returned from an extended trailer-trip to Idaho (two weeks) and my little dual-fan in the fridge worked flawlessly for the entire trip (cycling from electric/shore power to gas various times at various sites).
Old 07-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #19

Yup, we've got one of the ebay fans too. Moving some air across the fins helps to distribute the cooler air more evenly. I also believe it cools the little fridge down a little quicker too. We're not boondockers (yet) so the power usage isn't a factor for us. We are planning a TT upgrade next year and the new one will for sure have one of these little fans.
ExJay - I think blowing on the fins, cuts down on the frost and will distributes the air better. Plus it's designed to clip to the fan to complete the electric circuit (that's it's ground). I thought about something a little more hi-tech with a switch but talked myself out of it (with the help of an adult beverage) and am glad I did. Works just fine as it is.
Also thought about making one myself but whoever makes these only charges $13 or so and it's clever enough I'm happy to have sent him my $$.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #20

W just got back from a 19 day trip out west. The fan was on the whole trip. In the past if the frig was FULL. We would have issues with the food on the bottom (aka fruits and veggies) freezing. On this trip there was absolutely no signs of frost on any of the food.

Side note, for those who boondock; I used the clamp on amp meter on the power cable and noticed it pulls 0.15 amps. So in one day it uses 3.6 amps of power reserve.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote