Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2016, 10:49 PM   #1

Electric Tongue Jack fuse question

Hey everyone! This is my first post, what a great forum for us Jayco owners!

So I wanted to get some opinions about my electric tongue jack setup. Currently my jack is wired through the main 30 amp fuse located at the battery, which sounds fairly common looking through the other threads.
Well, like others, I blew that fuse running the jack to its limit (new to having an electric jack). While troubleshooting I discovered an auto-resetting breaker inside the jack itself.

Ok, what I want to do is hard-wire my jack directly to the battery, instead of through the 30 amp fuse. I see no reason the built-in breaker can't handle the job alone.

What do you think, and if you disagree what's your reasoning?

Thanks!
airwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:05 AM   #2

I would add a 30 or 40 amp inline fuse connected between the battery and the jack. I would not connect the jack to the 30 amp fuse that goes to the converter. I would not rely on the internal circuit breaker.

The typical setup is 3 connections to the positive battery terminal.
1. 30 amp inline fuse going to the converter.
2. 30 amp inline fuse going to the tongue jack.
3. Wire without a fuse going to the break-away switch for the brakes.

I read that many people blow the fuse if they let the jack hit end-of-travel. I have a Husky jack and it has limit switches in it that kill the power when the jack reaches it end-of-travel. I have never blown a fuse. I do find it strange that other manufacturers are so cheap the do not include these limit switches.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:38 AM   #3

The resettable circuit breaker located on you jack itself will protect the jack but not the wire from the battery to the jack in the event of an overload or short.

You should have a fuse within 6 inches of wire length, or closer, from the battery post for any and every wire than is attached directly to the battery. This is for electrical safety reasons and should NEVER be overlooked, bypassed or eliminated.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #4

I am having the same problem with our new 2016 JayFeather. The 30A fuse blows when we engage the power tongue jack. I wonder if a ground off of the neg. on the battery to the frame would help. Or should I put in a 40A?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice, Macrosill, you have a very good point. On this same note, would you recommend a fuse for the break-away switch as well?

I need to research what size of fuse is recommended by this particular jack, but I think I'll wire it separately to the battery with it's own fuse so as to not worry about losing battery power to my entire TT if this happens again!

FeatherFam, it sounds like you have a problem with your jack and should get it looked at. Mine only blew the fuse when I raised it too high and maxed out the motor (no limit switches), it works just fine throughout the range otherwise.
airwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:04 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
As mentioned; The internal breaker is to protect the motor and close to the battery it should have it's own fuse of 30 amp.
Be sure to cover the Power Tongue Jack as they are not weather proof.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwalk View Post
Thanks for the advice, Macrosill, you have a very good point. On this same note, would you recommend a fuse for the break-away switch as well?

I need to research what size of fuse is recommended by this particular jack, but I think I'll wire it separately to the battery with it's own fuse so as to not worry about losing battery power to my entire TT if this happens again!

FeatherFam, it sounds like you have a problem with your jack and should get it looked at. Mine only blew the fuse when I raised it too high and maxed out the motor (no limit switches), it works just fine throughout the range otherwise.
The break-away switch for the brakes?

Any wire should be properly protected from overcurrent. Just for the purists since I used the word Any in the previous sentence, there are very few circumstances where overcurrent protection is not required but they are specifically outlined and none are on an RV.

My brake break-away is fed from the metal junction box mounted to the front of the trailer body. That junction box is fed by a single wire from the battery. This wire is fused at the battery.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
As mentioned; The internal breaker is to protect the motor and close to the battery it should have it's own fuse of 30 amp.
Be sure to cover the Power Tongue Jack as they are not weather proof.
Yup. I just had to change the non working up/down switch on mine due to corrosion from water infiltration.