Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2016, 07:42 PM   #1

Electrical help for 2016 161 octane

Hey guys, I was going to be going on my second trip tomorrow but it's not looking so good. Thanks in advance for all help. After my first outing everything went perfect, but once I got home and plugged into the house I noticed I only had power to the convection oven and fridge. Finally found a 30amp fuse blow by the battery so I replaced it and everything seemed good. I went to get everything ready today and same thing, only power to convection oven and fridge but the fuse was not blown. The fridge was not nearly as cold as it was when camping. If I tried turning on any light or anything the fridge would shut off. I dissconnected the battery and it was completly dead. So now with no battery connected the fridge will not run plugged into the house or on propane plugged into the house. But it will run on propane plugged into the truck. Just being plugged into the house with no battery I only get power to the convection over nothing else. When plugged into the truck with no battery everything except the convection over works (even fridge on propane) being plugged into my 3000 Honda genie does the same as being plugged into the house. Checked all the fuses and breakers under the fridge and are all good. Please help me I need to get camping!
Bertaboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #2

Electrical help for 2016 161 octane

Did you check the battery fuse? This is located out near the battery. Follow the positive cable as it leaves you battery and you should find it.

Regarding the other standard 110 outlets not working when plugged into shore power, check to see if any of the GFCI's tripped.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #3

The battery fuse was blown but I replaced it and has not blown again and nothing was tripped. I'm stumped
Old 08-03-2016, 08:06 PM   #4

If your battery is dead and the converter isn't supplying a charge, nothing will work. Your RV needs 12VDC to run practically everything including the fridge, AC, furnace, and lights. You found out the microwave doesn't require 12VDC. If you plug your truck in and everything works, that, to me, points the finger at the converter. Your battery isn't getting charged. You could put at external charger on your battery to see if everything works and if it'll take a charge.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #5

That's kind of what I'm thinking, is their a reset on the inverter or do you know where it is? Thank you so much for the quick reply by the way!!
Old 08-03-2016, 08:41 PM   #6

I checked both reverse polarity fuses and they were not blown. Going to put a charged battery back in and see what happens
Old 08-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #7

Ok I got a charged battery on and as soon as it connects it blows the fuse? Any input?
Old 08-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #8

It's going to be your converter that's giving you a headache, not your inverter. There should be 115VAC breaker that feeds your converter. Your converter is the device with the 12VDC fuses and 115VAC breakers. There will be a breaker feeding your converter/battery charger that should be right on the converter itself. The output of the converter charges the battery and runs everything 12VDC. There also has to be some kind of fuse on the output of the converter (12VDC) that feeds the battery. Sooo, if the output of the converter is good, there has to be an open between the battery and the converter in the form of a fuse or open wire. OR perhaps the battery is bad. Try putting an external charger on the battery and see what gives.

Also, since your microwave works, 115VAC power has to be getting to the converter as it has to go through it to get to the micro.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #9

I checked both reverse polarity fuses and they were not blown. Going to put a charged battery back in and see what happens
Old 08-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
As Hoppers4 said;[If your battery is dead and the converter isn't supplying a charge, nothing will work. Your RV needs 12VDC to run practically everything including the fridge, AC, furnace, and lights.]

What make power converter do you have? WOF has the fuses on the panel and Progressive has them on the converter it self.

When plugged into shore power home or away the converter charges the battery unless fuses are blown or the converter is defect. When you have all the lights on you should hear the converter fan. Most of those converters are placed in dead air space and can burn out special on a very hot day and under heavy load.
You also can check if you have 110 v going to your power converter.
Good luck and let us know of your progress.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #11

I take it the fuse you're referring to that blows is the big one on the output of the battery. In that case there just about has to be a problem somewhere between the battery and the converter. OR, if you have levelers, you could have a problem in that area as the levelers are fed on a different line. Your slides will also be on a separate line from your converter and levelers.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:18 PM   #12

Thanks guys, I'm done messing with it as I'm new to camping and the trailers brand new so into the dealership she goes.....hopefully soon. Will post results when I get them
Old 08-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #13

Yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to chase it down. This electrical stuff can be difficult and intimidating even if you're comfortable working with it. Just sucks to see you have to cancel the plans. Please let us know when you get to the bottom of it!
Old 08-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #14

Hey guys, just got word back from the dealer. It was the converter that was fried. Thanks for all your help!
Old 08-12-2016, 11:00 PM   #15

Since you all were so helpfull I have another question for you. I got the trailer back with a new converter, no explanation as to why it was fried. Got it home and plugged into shore power. I only have the fridge on and the converter fan is running for hours on end multiple times a day, seems like any time I walk by its running. I'm just wondering if this is normal and it's just the converter charging the battery or if the converter is going to be ****ed again. The fan never runs constantly for more then a few hours so it's probably normal and I'm just worrying myself over nothing. From what I've read it's either good or the battery is ****ed....you think they would have checked that at the dealer but who knows. In the morning I am going to disconnect the battery and put a load tester on it and see if it's good. I can only post a picture of the old converter they took out for reference in the morning if that helps. Thanks guys
Old 08-13-2016, 02:43 AM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Seems like there is a problem which fried your first converter. If there is a reasonable load on the converter the fan will run. But if it is only the Refrigerator 12 volt circuit or charging the battery it shouldn't. Lots of times converters get installed in dead air space what is not a good thing. I definitely would check the battery condition.
What is the make and amp size of the converter?
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:05 AM   #17

I will post the converter specs as soon as I get home, as for testing the battery I just disconnect and put a load reader on it? Do I have to wait any amount of time after disconnecting to do this?
Old 08-13-2016, 05:37 AM   #18

Based on your description of the fan running so much I would suspect you may have a bad battery. The converter is working VERY hard to charge it. That could very well be what toasted the first converter.

As far as dealer looking for a cause of the first failed converter it is not likely they will go any further than fixing the obvious problem. Get it out the door and move on to the next job. Most RV dealer are not well versed in electrical issues.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:28 AM   #19

Okay so I tested the battery and it's perfect, held just under 12v on a load. The only info I can find on the converter is that it is a 45 amp -PD4045K. I really don't know what to do now....
Old 08-13-2016, 07:19 PM   #20

Okay I feel like a dummy now, after checking the battery I shut the converter breaker off to see if the battery was draining anywhere. The battery did not drain and I heard the "converter" fan running witch told me it's not the converter fan. I looked in the top fridge compartment on the outside of the trailer and figured out it was a little fan blowing up on the coil? For the fridge. This leads to a new question.....why is this running for hours on end when I never open the fridge doors? And as far as the converter I guess it was just faulty from the factory? There was one wire on the thermostat? Attached to the coil? Fin that was not pushed on all the way witch might have been sending a inaccurate temp. Reading?

Tags
a.c, battery, d.c, electrical, power