Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #1

EZ Lube Fail

I have never used the EZ Lube zerk on my axle, read to many cautions from more experienced members than myself.

We purchased our '12 29QBH private party in Feb 2014. It is in great shape, you could tell the previous owner really cared for it and was very sad he was losing it do to a divorce.

Since owning we have used it twice, both short trips on realtively flat routes. Both times I felt as though I wasn't getting the breaking that I expected. At first I thought it was just pulling a much heavier trailer, then I thought maybe my P2 needed to be readjusted. But since the trips were short and flat I didn't think much about it.

This weekend we are heading up high in Sierra Neveda Mts, which at one point there is 11 mile 9% grade. I wanted to make sure the breaks and controller were A-OK. After messing with the controller I couldn't get it where I liked it. Since I was out of time I took it to a friends tire shop asked him to repack the bearings and adjust the breaks.

10 min later I got the picture below texted to me , clearly the previous owner did use the EZ lub zerk, blew out the seals on each wheel and the brake assmeblies were full of greese.

On a positive note, my 2012 JayFlight 29QBH does have self adjusting breaks. My 2012 JayFlight 26BH didn't.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7533.jpg  
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #2

Wow, that's ugly! Glad you found out this way rather than the "bad" way.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #3

That's what mine looked like, I hand pack'em now AND take out all the extra grease that is floating around in there. That bit me too, Brakes get hot grease gets loose.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #4

Man, that's a real ugly mess. Glad you're getting the problem fixed.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #5

Exact same thing happened to me. I replaced them.
Webeskiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:28 AM   #6
Site Team

Mine came from Jayco full of grease. You will sure like having brakes.
I will never use those Zerks. Have them packed manually every other year.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #7

I am one that likes this option. But you need to understand that if grease is not coming out the front then its going out the back. There is no front seal on this system so there is no reason that pressure is pushing on your rear seal. The excess comes out the front side. I think that what actually causes this issue is old hard grease in the front bearing blocks the grease from coming out the front and people blow out the rear seal before they blow out the old hard grease. The proper procedure is to jack up the wheel, add a pump of grease and rotate the wheel. If you don't see old grease coming out the front side then it's going out the back, that's when you should stop and pull the hub. If it comes out the front it will not build up pressure on the seal, it can't do that.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #8

I never touched mine and after about a year I noticed my brakes weren't working, took them apart and they were all packed with grease. I would never use the ez lube zerk.
All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
I am one that likes this option. But you need to understand that if grease is not coming out the front then its going out the back. There is no front seal on this system so there is no reason that pressure is pushing on your rear seal. The excess comes out the front side. I think that what actually causes this issue is old hard grease in the front bearing blocks the grease from coming out the front and people blow out the rear seal before they blow out the old hard grease. The proper procedure is to jack up the wheel, add a pump of grease and rotate the wheel. If you don't see old grease coming out the front side then it's going out the back, that's when you should stop and pull the hub. If it comes out the front it will not build up pressure on the seal, it can't do that.
This is what was explained to me and shown to me the first time I had to do this by myself. Works correctly every time and I do it approx. every 4,000 miles. The problem is buying used and that person never maintaining the TT resulting in old hard grease.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #10

When I took delivery my technician told me never to use it. He said Jayco recommends repacking bearings once a year or 12000 miles. He said if you follow this recommendation there is no need to add grease.

Makes me wonder why they have EZ lube axles on their trailers if they're just going to tell you not to use them?
Old 07-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #11

Glad to have joined this site. Good advise. I was just considering greasing my 2014 Eagle HT that has 7000 miles after a trip to Glacier.
amares9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #12

Jayco includes the axle manufacturers details and procedures with the trailer, it's part of the paperwork package provided with the camper.

I agree there is no need to add grease but there is a need for a procedure to repack the grease. This is the purpose of this design, to make that easy to do (thus the name EZlube). It's not for adding.

But the procedure to do this is not understood.

Reasons not to use EZlube is: 1) You will not read the instructions. 2) You read instructions but do not follow them. 3) Someone told you they had a problem after they did not read or follow the instructions.

I have an 8 year old enclosed trailer with EZlube axles. It's been lubed by me every year for 8 years. There is no grease in the brakes, I know this is true because I checked the brakes this year. I can do both axles on that trailer in 20 minutes.

Jack up the wheel - add one shot of grease - spin the wheel- look to see that grease is coming out the front - proceed to change the grease with additional shots.

or:

Don't jack it up - pump like crazy - Where is it going? - put the plug back in and then head off down the road and discover that grease on your brakes is a real problem.

With all that said.......There is nothing wrong with the old tried and true hand repack and adjust method. You don't need all the extra grease that comes along with the EZ lube method in the first place.

But, they do work.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #13

It would be nice if the people at the factory read those instructions.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #14

EZ Lube works fine when done properly and only when the bearings need it. Some folks think they should pump them full of grease once a year, hence brake issues.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselX View Post
It would be nice if the people at the factory read those instructions.
Agree

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 07-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #16

Mine came with grease in the brakes and I never added grease, I bought mine new and 3 out of 4 had grease in them. The guy at the dealership said he's seen lots come back like that.

Daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote