Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2015, 09:00 PM   #21

SKF and Timken may supply the bearings for the EZ lube system but they just components of it. Shouldn't you follow Dexter advice on how it is supposed to be lubed on not the bearing manufacturers advice?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:45 PM   #22

Not a fan of ez lube axle. Bought my 06 27bh 4yrs ago. Seller said he just gives it a few shots of grease every year. So I figured it's time to inspect just to see condition of brakes and bearings. I ended up replacing all the brakes and 2 sets of bearings. Brakes totally contaminated by grease. This spring I thought I would check my brakes. All still good, repacked all bearings as I had it apart anyway and ended up replacing one bearing set. There is no replacement for a proper visual inspection. In would rather replace a bearing in my drive way than in the middle of nowhere on the side of the road some where. If you need to replace brgs or brakes go to a local spring shop - parts are WAYYYY cheaper than an RV store or jobber parts store.
PhyerPhyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:05 AM   #23

How are you lifting the trailer to spin wheels? are you lifting both tires on one side at the same time or a drive up jack system similar to the Anderson Jack for those that are familiar.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoboosteagle View Post
How are you lifting the trailer to spin wheels? are you lifting both tires on one side at the same time or a drive up jack system similar to the Anderson Jack for those that are familiar.
You can lift one side of the trailer with a bottle jack against the frame between the wheels, OR lift one tire at a time with a bottle jack against the axle at the spring perch.

I purchased a 4 ton bottle jack that stays in the trailer.

Tim
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Here is the list of approved grease types from the Dexter website.

Don
Oh great...I used Lucas red on mine and it is not on Dexter's approved list. Is there an issue there or am I okay with Lucas grease? Whaddyaathink?

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Jeff you're OK, Dexter doesn't have them all on the list.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:06 AM   #27

I put about 20 pumps of grease in the hub before I realized I was supposed to rotate the wheel. I can't see how rotating or not the seal would blow. Anyway, after I started spinning the wheel, I put about another 20 shots in and nothing came out so I just gave up. On the other side, I spun the wheel the whole time. I got to 37 pumps before I ran out of grease.

How much grease is actually required?
Do I have to take the wheel and brake drum off to see if the seal is blown?
Grey Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #28

Grey Jay- If this is your first time greasing, it may take a more than half the tube to fill up the EZ Lube system. Each axle on mine took about a tube. I guess the manufacturer greases the bearings but does not fill the EZ Lube system with grease also...IMHO. Keep slowly pumping until you see the grease coming out around the fitting. I use Lucas Red cause it's real easy to see the new grease coming out. Then check it every year or two, or less than 10,000 miles.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:09 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Jay View Post
I put about 20 pumps of grease in the hub before I realized I was supposed to rotate the wheel. I can't see how rotating or not the seal would blow.
...snip
Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
snip...
Keep slowly pumping AND TURNING THE WHEEL until you see the grease coming out around the fitting. ...snip
Grey Jay, A diagram shows the grease going through zerk, to the rear of the hub, through both bearings, and out the front. When the wheel is rotated, it doesn't take much pressure for the grease to travel thorough the bearings. A stationary wheel (and bearing) requires more pressure and can damage the seal at the rear of the hub.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #30
Site Team

If you have your bearings packed by a mechanic/service center, ask them if they use the pneumatic grease gun. If they do, pray that they do not have the pressure to the gun on high, there is a good chance that it could blow the seal(s). A good practice may be to get under the TT and take pictures of the back side of the brake drum assembly (should show no signs of any grease leaking), before you take it in for service. Then if the mechanic does his thing and you have a leak, you can always show them the pictures and ask when he will have it repaired. For FREE of course. I know a couple of people that had this issue, but no pictures.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #31

So...the grease would leak out the back of the drum? I wouldn't have to dismantle everything to look in the brakes?

I just bought some new grease tubes. I'll try putting one in. If it takes the whole thing than maybe i have a problem!

Thanks everyone
Grey Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:42 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Jay View Post
I just bought some new grease tubes. I'll try putting one in. If it takes the whole thing than maybe i have a problem!
If this is the first time that you are greasing the bearings, then you can expect to use 2 long tubes or 4 short tubes of grease for 4 axles, as Dexter does not fill them up all the way.

If you use the hand operated grease gun and don't get carried away at seeing how fast you can get finished, you should have no problems. Just keep spinning your wheel as you are pumping the grease in.

Click on the link in an earlier post and watch the video (by Dexter) on how to do it.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
If this is the first time that you are greasing the bearings, then you can expect to use 2 long tubes or 4 short tubes of grease for 4 axles, as Dexter does not fill them up all the way.

If you use the hand operated grease gun and don't get carried away at seeing how fast you can get finished, you should have no problems. Just keep spinning your wheel as you are pumping the grease in.

Click on the link in an earlier post and watch the video (by Dexter) on how to do it.

Don
What he said.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 09-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #34

What a waste of grease for an half a..s job. More grease is not better, check your hub temperature before using the ezlub and check after....you will understand from that moment that using ez lub is not the way to go

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
What a waste of grease for an half a..s job. More grease is not better, check your hub temperature before using the ezlub and check after....you will understand from that moment that using ez lub is not the way to go
I just (May '15) went from total rebuild axles to EZ-Lube.

I'll take the easy, half-A***d job over not doing it because it's too messy/hard/annoying any day.

Yes, the EZ-Lube system is less effective and uses more grease. But at least it gets done more than once every 3 years.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #36

You have a point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I just (May '15) went from total rebuild axles to EZ-Lube.

I'll take the easy, half-A***d job over not doing it because it's too messy/hard/annoying any day.

Yes, the EZ-Lube system is less effective and uses more grease. But at least it gets done more than once every 3 years.

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
You have a point
Of course I have a point! And an opinion or 3.

Think I'd waste valuable company time just blabbing away?

It's almost 4:30. Gotta punch out now...

And proud of it!
Old 09-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #38

The only reason to pump the EZ Lube hubs full of grease is if you're using your trailer as a boat and submerging the hubs in the lake. It actually takes very little grease to properly lube hub bearings that are never submerged in water.

Quote from the Dexter FAQ page:
http://www.dexteraxle.com/faq_s

Quote:
E-Z LUBE - What is the E-Z Lube option?
The E-Z Lube option was designed specifically for the marine application where the axles are constantly being immersed in water. This feature provides a convenient method for purging the water from the hub cavity without having to pull the hub every time. The hubs should be removed every 12 months or 12,000 miles to inspect the bearings and it is imperative to replace the seal at this time to assure that the grease does not leak out the back onto the brake linings rendering the brakes non-functional.
Also from the Dexter website. This explains how to grease standard bearings, and this is how I will grease my new hub assemblies. I bought one tube of Mobil 1 Synthetic grease, which will be plenty for all four hubs.
http://l.b5z.net/i/u/6149609/f/Instr...59-831-00A.pdf

Quote:
Bearing Lubrication - Grease
Along with bearing adjustment, proper lubrication is essential to the proper function and reliability of your trailer axle. Bea
rings should be lubricated
every 12 months or 12,000 miles. The method to repack bearing cones is as follows:
1. Place a quantity of grease into the palm of your hand.
2. Press a section of the widest end of the bearing into the outer edge of the grease pile closest to the thumb forcing
grease into the interior of the bearing.
3. Repeat this while rotating the bearing from roller to roller.
4. Continue this process until you have the entire bearing completely filled with grease.
5. Before reinstalling, apply a light coat of grease on the bearing cup.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #39

Rookie move?

So I decided to service the EZ lube axles of my pop-up as part of my winterizing this year. It's a 2015 that we have had for 2 full seasons now and probably has 1500 miles on it. This was the first time I did them.

I watched a bunch of You Tube videos and figured out this wasn't all that hard. I jacked it up and rotated the wheels as you should but was first surprised how much grease it took and then that no old grease pushed out at all. I put in nearly 1/2 a tube per axle and when the grease began to come out, it was clearly the new stuff.

I panicked for a minute thinking there had never been any from the factory but this forum suggests that use of very little grease from the factory isn't unusual. I guess I'm good there?

The other thing that this forum taught me that Dexter's video didn't was that apparently there are approved greases - and I don't think i used one. I used Royal Purple 01312 which isn't on the list.

Experts: should I be concerned? Should I re-do the grease with a recommended type? Not sure how important this is.

Thanks!
targa todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:04 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by targa todd View Post
So I decided to service the EZ lube axles of my pop-up as part of my winterizing this year. ...snip...
Any quality grease will be good.

The important thing is to keep the bearings lubricated.

Yes, it seems like "there was no grease in there." When you dismantle an axle, clear and repack the bearings, then reassemble you will have used several tablespoons of grease and a rear seal.

When you use the EZ-Lube, you are filling the entire space with fresh grease, displacing the old stuff (and when new, the air between the spindle and the drum).

While the wheel was off the ground, did you wiggle it to make sure the spindle nut was tightened properly?

At some point in the life of the trailer, you will have to do a proper wheel bearing service. In the meantime, keep on carefully pumping fresh grease through the bearings and making sure all is OK.

And proud of it!