Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2016, 06:25 AM   #1

Fresh water level - crazy idea

I had a (probably) crazy idea while driving into work this morning.

We are getting ready for the first trip in our new 5er. Tanks are a bit smaller than our old rig. Tank sensors in the old rig were inaccurate at best (and I understand why) which got us to the point of having a pretty good idea by usage where we stood on fresh water and gray tank levels.

Faced with the prospect of "learning" a new rig, I had an idea pop into my head:

What if a count up timer was installed that counted the time that the water pump runs and use that as a gauge of water level in the fresh tank? While it may not be perfect, I have to believe that it would be more accurate than the current style of sensors after you learn how much pump run time equates to a full tank. Being re-setable would make it easy.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this and also be interested if anyone knows what I would google to look to purchase. I tried googling timers and count up timers, but didn't find anything outside of small engine tachometers that only go to the 1/10th hour. Essentially, looking for a digital hour meter (that would count to 2 decimals to get reasonable precision) that I could hook to the water pump.

If I can find something reasonable ($20 to $30), and get some ideas for how to install it from those here that are much smarter than I am, I'll give it a try and report back.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:50 AM   #2

Better yet why not install a flow meter that measures gals of flow Then you would know for sure how much you used. But the cost of a flow meter may be more than you want to spend.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:04 AM   #3

Not much help with how to install, but the price is right: P3 P0550 Water Meter ~$13.00 @ Amazon.

Another possibility using a counter would be to install an accumulator tank. Then each cycle of the pump would equate to a known amount of water.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Not much help with how to install, but the price is right: P3 P0550 Water Meter ~$13.00 @ Amazon.

Another possibility using a counter would be to install an accumulator tank. Then each cycle of the pump would equate to a known amount of water.
I think the flow meter is a better tool. I have a 2 gallon accumulator in my rig and the pump can run constantly or not depending on the faucet flow. Showers keep it going pretty good as the tank is emptying at the same time it's trying to fill. Sometimes it catches up, sometimes not.

Usually I just wait for the shower or sink drains to start to burp then I know.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #5

Not a crazy idea at all.
It is clear that what the industry has used in the past has been less than stellar.
So new ideas are always a good idea.
With modern technology, it sure seems like they should be able to come up with something better than what we've had.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I have something similar that I use to fill the tank since I only want 10 or 12 gal when traveling, just enough to flush the potty.