Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #61

I'm gonna be attempting this install on my new 26bh with aluminum siding that is pre-wired. Any tips from anyone that has installed one on the aluminum jay flights?
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #62

Just installed my Furrion camera on our 29BHDS everything went great but does anyone know if there is a switch for the power wire or does it just stay on all the time?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
brain_shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #63

Stays on all the time when your battery is connected

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #64

I installed mine yesterday and everything went great until I turned the monitor on and it was doa. Amazon shipping me a new unit tomorrow so just need to swap out the LCD hopefully that fixes the issue. White screen with lines but showing full signal.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
I installed mine yesterday and everything went great until I turned the monitor on and it was doa. Amazon shipping me a new unit tomorrow so just need to swap out the LCD hopefully that fixes the issue. White screen with lines but showing full signal.

Would you be able to post pictures and share any wisdom from your experience installing it on the 26bh with aluminum siding. I want to do the same project in a couple weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
quantum743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #66

Quote:
Stays on all the time when your battery is connected

Mine has a switch in the battery compartment. On the forward bulkhead. Looks like a light switch.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Mine has a switch in the battery compartment. On the forward bulkhead. Looks like a light switch.
I do recall seeing that also but our 26bh models don't have a battery compartment or a switch From what I've seen or heard from others.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum743 View Post
Would you be able to post pictures and share any wisdom from your experience installing it on the 26bh with aluminum siding. I want to do the same project in a couple weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It was extremely straight forward. I do recommend getting an electrical hook tool or maybe a metal hanger will do just fine. You need that to pull all the wires out of the hole behind the taillight in order to connect to the camera. There's an extra black wire in there. That's what you're looking for. You will also need to splice into the white wire. Make sure you drill a hole at least 2 inches below as per the Furions manuals instructions. I believe that's for better reception and also for better night vision. I bought automotive grade silicone from Walmart. Small tube was $4 you need it for the holes you drill and for putting back the tailight. I was going to hardwire the 12v for the LCD into my Durango but it was a bit complex so I jus went into dash and tucked all wires away for a neat finished look. I will need to purchase a 2nd 12v adapter for the trailer but I can't see myself using it to look out back when we are inside.
Any other questions feel free to ask when you are installing.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #69

Quote:
I do recall seeing that also but our 26bh models don't have a battery compartment or a switch From what I've seen or heard from others.
I can't find a switch in my 26BH either. Anyone have any luck finding a wire to splice in a power switch?

The camera I bought is rated at 300mA, so it would drain my batteries in about 2 weeks of being on 24x7 without shore power. It will probably be ok, but would prefer being able to cut the power when not in use.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:25 PM   #70

Disconnect your battery to be safe until you figure out switch ideas.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #71

Pre-wired wire: is it always "hot"?

I have the aluminum skin on my 2016 26 BH so I'm going to have my own set of mounting issues. My main question is about the actual pre-wired wire. Is it a 12 volt power feed or a video feed to the front of the trailer?

If it is a 12 volt feed and is "hot" all the time wouldn't that mean the camera is on all the time (and draining my battery)?

If it is a video feed to the front, where do I find the other end?

My other option is to tie my wife to the bumper so she can inform me of what's behind me...
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:22 PM   #72

Furrion Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System - 26BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
I have the aluminum skin on my 2016 26 BH so I'm going to have my own set of mounting issues. My main question is about the actual pre-wired wire. Is it a 12 volt power feed or a video feed to the front of the trailer?

If it is a 12 volt feed and is "hot" all the time wouldn't that mean the camera is on all the time (and draining my battery)?

If it is a video feed to the front, where do I find the other end?

My other option is to tie my wife to the bumper so she can inform me of what's behind me...

If you go back to thread #57 & #58 you'll find a link and pictures of the Furrion High Speed Wireless Observation System mounted to Aluminum sided travel trailer.

If you use the 12V feed that is in the wall, the camera will be on 24-7. Some people tie into the center marker light and turn on the parking lights to activate camera.

There is only power going to the back of the camper. No video feed. The Furrion camera is wireless, no direct connection between camera and monitor. The monitor just plugs into the dash 12v power outlet in your tow vehicle. See thread #50 for monitor locations.

Hope this helps!

Duke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #73

Not enough power from center light to power Furrion Camera?

Hi,

Am reviving this old thread with the hopes that one of you who have successfully installed the Furrion backup camera may have experienced something similar and can help me out. I have the Furrion Observation Camera (FOS48TAPK-BL) which was working fine on my 20176 Jay Flight 174BH (tapped into centre marker light). I upgraded to a used 2016 Jay Flight 23 MB and moved the camera over and tapped into the center marker light again.

On the 23MB, I am experiencing an intermittent signal (even though the blue light is powered the whole time). The video will show, and then will cycle to no-signal for about 3 seconds, and then show the video will appear again. This happens whether the signal has 1 bar, or when it has 3-4 bars (I've tried different antenna extensions and even with the antenna very close, the same issue with intermittent video occurs). I purchased the new Furrion vision S system with the hopes that it would have a stronger signal, but it's the same issue so i think it is a power issue.

My trailer has the sticker that indicates it is pre-wired for backup/security camera, but like others on this thread, when I went to fish for the wire behind the center light, the only wires i have are those attached to the center light. There are no other wires (so it seem sit is not pre-wired).

I suspect the center light is on the same circuit with a number of other lights so due to voltage drop may not be strong enough to power my furrion camera.

I did a test and wired the camera direct to the battery, placed the camera in the same spot by the rear center light and the camera and monitor worked fine. Even though it was only 1-2 bars of signal, the picture came through super clear, and does not cut out.

If anyone has the pre-wired option, were you able to locate the wire anywhere else (other than behind the center marker?).

Or has anyone tapped into another source for their 12v connection that is on it's own circuit, or on a circuit that is less loaded? I already drilled the hole to place the camera below the center marker, so would like to keep my camera there.

Anyone experienced this problem with the Furrion and went with a different camera that perhaps would require less power?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
JayFlightLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:02 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post

Some people actually replace the center marker light with the camera which will probably be a little easier since the wires are right there and you do not have to drill an extra hole for the wires.

Note that the three lights in the centre of the trailer rear are not "marker lights", they are "ID lights". They tell the people behind you that your trailer is a "wide vehicle" (> 80 inches?)

As such, they're legally required, and you could have problems if you took one off.(Best case, a zealous trooper might ticket you for it, or you could find that you've failed a state inspection. Worst case, if there was an accident, your insurance company might be able to argue that you had made illegal modifications to safety equipment, and refuse to pay out)

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26bh, camera, furrion, observation, rear