Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #1

Fuse question and weird happenings

Hello everyone. I purchased a new 2014 Melbourne 26A in early July of this year at a dealer about 100 miles away. Closer dealer did not have this model in stock and indicated they would not be carrying this model in the future or I would have done the deal with nearby dealer. Soon after purchase, I went to local dealer wanting to replace my single 12 volt battery for a pair of Trojan 6volt units, but they would not fit without modification, so I settled on two new group 27 12 volt batteries instead.About a week later, I returned to the local dealer and had my keyless entry repaired (bad connection) and in dash radio/dvd/nav/camera/ ect repaired. The dash unit had gone dark and I had no luck with several Ford chassis fuses, house radio fuse, or reset button on the face of the unit. This was also quickly fixed and close dealer indicated that a 5amp fuse behind the battery tray was the culprit. Went home happy and fixed until out camping this last week and ran into a weird situation while attempting to retract the leveling jacks. The jack extension was normal, but retraction was not possible due to the same radio 5amp fuse blowing when I selected "retract" on the Bigfoot control panel. I just happened to notice that the radio unit went dark at the same time as the jack retraction was attempted or I might question this odd connection myself. After blowing a few more 5amp fuses with the same result, I inserted a 15amp fuse and finally got the jacks to come up.I have since decided to make the 100 mile trip to selling dealer that I have more faith in with hopes of getting everything working properly. My phone call to local dealer was somewhat unpleasant as the service advisor that I had dealt with,and liked, had left the company and the new guy seemed to question my info and explanation. Everything that I saw at dealer of purchase indicated that they might have a better handle on experience and professionalism and will likely get me fixed on one visit. The big problem is the first available appointment is Sept 17, so with all this time to wait I thought I might tell this crazy story and one of you out there might be able to share any info about this event and strange set up of 5amp fuses (there are two behind the battery tray) among all those thick battery cables and other wires.

If anyone out there wishes to offer any input, I would appreciate it very much. So sorry for the long winded post, but I couldn't figure out how to explain this situation in a shorter version. I plan to try Bigfoot tech support tomorrow during normal business hours and see what they might say. Their 24/7 support is for emergencies, so I didn't want to bug them over the weekend. Tech support from Clarion for the in dash unit does not exist as far as I can tell. Whenever I get this figured out, I will share if others are interested. Thanks everybody and happy camping.
brushbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #2

I was hoping that someone could shed some light on this, but perhaps not. I would be happy just finding out the amperage of the fuses on the back wall of the battery tray compartment if any of you happen to be looking around in that area. I don't know if it is unique to the Melbourne or if Greyhawks and Redhawks are set up the same, but think they might be.

Bigfoot did not know why their system would have anything to do with a 5amp fuse. Jayco has sent my inquiry to the engineers, but I have not received a response from them. If I am lucky, the prior rv tech inserted a 5amp fuse where a 15amp fuse should be.

If anyone has any info abouit their fuse set up in their battery tray, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks and happy camping.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:54 PM   #3

I just read your question and had similar issues. I have a Jayco 31FS and on Feb 1st my radio was dark, the bigfoot jacks would not power on nor the keyless entry work. I had the keyless entry fixed a few weeks before by the dealer. I brought it in and they said they "changed" a fuse, but no other details. I will look behind the tray you mentioned. Did you ever find out exactly what happened in your case?
wmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:22 PM   #4

It turned out that the fuse that controls the radio and the down function of the jacks was blown and, when first repaired, a 5 amp fuse was installed by the local Jayco authorized dealer. The fuse is supposed to be a 10 amp fuse. I figured this out with the help of the tech folks at Jayco. The correct amp fuse solved the problem. There are two fuses back behind the battery tray on my Melbourne 26A. Out of curiosity, I asked what the other fuse was for, but never received a reply, but am now happy that everything is working.

I no longer use the "local" Jayco dealer and drive about 210 miles round trip to the dealer that sold me this unit. They are super, so it will be worth the extra miles to have a trustworthy and knowledgable place for repair.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #5

Sorry - a quick correction. The part of the fuse in question was for extending the jacks, not retraction.I should proof read before hitting the sent button!! Have happy and safe travels.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #6

Just a guess here. But I am thinking the fuses behind the house battery control things that do not disconnect with the battery disconnect relay. ie. The audio/navi, entry door lock if the 12v variety, maybe the Bigfoot jacks, not sure what else.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote