Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #1

G-N bonding plug?

My hardwire progressive industry's ems throws a e2 error code(open ground) when I hook it to my Honda eu2000i's.I contacted progressive industry's about it they said I need to make a G-N bonding plug and plug it into one of the unused plugs on the gens.

I did alittle research and it apears the the Hondas and most inverter style gens use a floating ground and this is why this needs done.

Anyone else have to do this?Is it safe(don't wanna die)?Is it safe for my gens(don't want them to die)?
WrenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:23 AM   #2

I cannot give you a definitive answer.

Proper grounding and bonding in electrical distribution systems can be a complex subject. Neutral to ground bonding is most often only allowed at the main distribution panel using very specific methods. The neutral is not bonded to ground in sub feed panels.

Your Progressive Industries EMS does have some good monitoring features. Using the G-N bonding plug as suggested doesn't really address the no ground condition as much as it satisfies or tricks the Progressive Industries testing design. I can say that bonding the neutral to ground without a proper ground conduction method (water pipe, driven ground rod, grounding mat, etc.) can be dangerous of itself. Bonding to a marginal ground grid can cause some more problems than it addresses. One issue is that bonding the neutral as you describe can set you up for a "Hot Skin" condition.

I would hesitate to give advice as to what is necessary for proper grounding and bonding for a small stand alone generator unit. Connecting a GFI unit at the output can increase the safety of using a portable generator. GFI protection doesn't depend upon ground bonding for the safety it provides so that is what I would rely upon.

Mike Sokol has some good general information here:

No Shock Zone
No Shock Zone | RV Travel

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenZ71 View Post
My hardwire progressive industry's ems throws a e2 error code(open ground) when I hook it to my Honda eu2000i's.I contacted progressive industry's about it they said I need to make a G-N bonding plug and plug it into one of the unused plugs on the gens.

I did alittle research and it apears the the Hondas and most inverter style gens use a floating ground and this is why this needs done.

Anyone else have to do this?Is it safe(don't wanna die)?Is it safe for my gens(don't want them to die)?
I just turn it off as I am not going to "fool" it. Yes that leaves me unprotected, but I am not using the genny all that often and usually I only have my converter on to charge the batteries. All other breakers are off.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:23 AM   #4

The real solution is to pound in a grounding rod to create a genuine ground.

Ooops. Need 2: One for the genny and 1 for the RV.

Nope. That won't do either. Neutral is still floating.... You'll have to bind them INSIDE the genset.

Check the Honda manual for that.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:58 AM   #5

When using a generator it is perfectly acceptable to tie the neutral to the ground at the generator. The separate ground is necessary when connected to shore power where you have a chance of multiple return path for a distant source. Power lines, transformers, and commercial distribution systems. With the generator you don't have the same issues.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #6

I had to build up a bonding plug to use with my INVERTER.

It is also useful plugging into a my 2KW Generator as well...

Here is reading material about bonding generators which was on here a few years back... Might be some useful info here for you to consider.

Bonding Generators
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Bonding a generator

Supporting photos

sample photos from google images

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #7

Thanks for the replys everyone.I ended up making one up the next day after alittle more Internet research. Plugged it in and everything works great.

The only other question I have is should I have 2 of these(gens hooked in parallel)?One in each Honda eu2000?Also with 1 of these does it mater which of the gens it's plugged into?I hooked it up to the companion model which my trailer is plugged into.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:36 AM   #8

Put the bonding plug on the same generator you are connecting to the RV. Connect the ground wire between the generators on the provided ground screw terminals. You do not need a bonding plug on both generators.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #9

I just can't resist...

If this Neutral - Ground cheater plug is such a safe and great solution, and it is approved by all jurisdictions, why isn't every RV that "needs" one supplied with it from the factory? It just seems odd to me given the money people are shelling out for a new RV that such a simple inexpensive solution wouldn't be standard equipment. Are these cheater plugs commercially available?

vic
Old 06-16-2015, 09:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
I just can't resist...

If this Neutral - Ground cheater plug is such a safe and great solution, and it is approved by all jurisdictions, why isn't every RV that "needs" one supplied with it from the factory? It just seems odd to me given the money people are shelling out for a new RV that such a simple inexpensive solution wouldn't be standard equipment. Are these cheater plugs commercially available?

vic

Better yet, if it's such a safe solution, why don't all generators have ground and neutral bonded together as the default configuration? What are the potential downsides of G-N bonding of a generator?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:32 AM   #11

It's just the configuration the manufacture of the generator decides to use.He is a list,it's for compatibility with a transfer,but still a useful list.

www.generlink.com/CompatibleGenerator.pdf
Old 06-17-2015, 03:36 AM   #12

Quote:
I just can't resist...

vic
Neither my generator or trailer need the plug,It's the progressive industry's hard wired surge protector that needs it.Progressive industry's recommended the plug.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:44 AM   #13
Site Team

For one, it is not universally needed. Most people who rv, do not even carry or need a generator.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:14 AM   #14

Quote:
I just can't resist...

vic
It is not one of the safest things one can do.

However, in your MAIN residential panel, ground and neutral are bonded together. Only where power enters the house since the utility company only supplies 120--0--120 power.

Your main breaker panel is locally grounded. It then divvies things up to provide 120V, 240V and neutral (normal return path) and ground (abnormal return path).

Since a generator is an independent power supply, many of the rules of residential power become irrelevant. Although, not providing a safe path to ground should be avoided, if possible.

And proud of it!
Old 06-17-2015, 07:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Neither my generator or trailer need the plug,It's the progressive industry's hard wired surge protector that needs it.Progressive industry's recommended the plug.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
It is not one of the safest things one can do.

However, in your MAIN residential panel, ground and neutral are bonded together. Only where power enters the house since the utility company only supplies 120--0--120 power.

Your main breaker panel is locally grounded. It then divvies things up to provide 120V, 240V and neutral (normal return path) and ground (abnormal return path).

Not quite. It has nothing to do with 120 - 0 - 120 power. The neutral is bonded in the main distribution panel to establish a 0 volts reference to ground for safety.

The neutral is similarly bonded in 208/120 and 480/277 3 phase systems and even 4160/2300 distribution.

I see no real advantage to bonding at the generator. Unless there is a proper grounding method my preference with a stand alone 120 volt generator is to keep the ground and neutral separate with a GFI device used very close to the source (generator receptacle). I realize that some units come with a neutral bonded to the frame.

FWIW. vic
Old 06-17-2015, 07:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Not quite. It has nothing to do with 120 - 0 - 120 power. The neutral is bonded in the main distribution panel to establish a 0 volts reference to ground for safety.

I'd rephrase that as "The neutral is bonded in the main distribution panel to establish a 0 volts reference and establish a separate ground for safety"

The neutral is similarly bonded in 208/120 and 480/277 3 phase systems and even 4160/2300 distribution.
No disagreement. I just didn't want to confuse things with commercial power systems.

And proud of it!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Question.

Did they comment whether the surge protector was still effective when using the cheater plug? Some surge protection designs use the ground as part of the spike suppression.

The cheater may not be really doing anything for you other than satisfying/fooling the power ground monitor feature.

vic
Old 06-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Question.

Did they comment whether the surge protector was still effective when using the cheater plug? Some surge protection designs use the ground as part of the spike suppression.

The cheater may not be really doing anything for you other than satisfying/fooling the power ground monitor feature.

vic
Honestly I didn't ask,I know the surge feature still works.If my gens are in Eco and I fire up the colman Mach 15 a/c it will cut power.If the other features work with the plug doesn't matter,my only other option is to not run the plug and flip the switch on the ems to off which makes it only a surge protector anyway.

I don't see how this can be any safer or Un safer then running a non inverter style gen.Most have the neutral bound to ground internally anyway.

Also another thing I read is most transfer switches bond neutral to ground on the generator side.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #19

Also read though this

https://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_Hur..._generator.pdf
Old 06-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks for the reference.

Safe Work Practices

• Never attach a portable generator directly
to the electrical system of a structure
(home, office or trailer) unless the generator
has a properly installed open-transition
transfer switch

(Just not plugging your RV into the pedestal works too, but remember to do that.)

Grounding Requirements for Portable
and Vehicle-mounted Generators

Under the following conditions, OSHA
directs (29 CFR 1926.404(f)(3)(i)) that the
frame of a portable generator need not be
grounded (connected to earth) and that the
frame may serve as the ground (in place of
the earth):

• The generator supplies only equipment
mounted on the generator and/or cord and
plug-connected equipment
through
receptacles mounted on the generator,
§ 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(A), and

• The noncurrent-carrying metal parts of
equipment (such as the fuel tank, the internal
combustion engine, and the generator’s
housing) are bonded to the generator
frame, and the equipment grounding conductor
terminals (of the power receptacles
that are a part of [mounted on] the generator)
are bonded to the generator frame,
§ 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(B).

Thus, rather than connect to a grounding
electrode system, such as a driven ground
rod, the generator’s frame replaces the
grounding electrode.

If these conditions do not exist, then a
grounding electrode, such as a ground rod,
is required.

If the portable generator is providing electric
power to a structure by connection via a
transfer switch to a structure (home, office,
shop, trailer, or similar) it must be connected
to a grounding electrode system, such as a
driven ground rod. The transfer switch must
be approved for the use and installed in
accordance with the manufacturer’s installation
instructions by a qualified electrician.

It reads to me that the first quoted section knocks RV's out for using a cheater plug, not to mention some of the further grounding requirements.

They do mention to use GFI's in the document too.

Be careful with portable generators. The electricity they supply can kill people just as dead as the voltage from a power grid.

vic