Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #1

Garmin - RV 770 LMT-S GPS

The new garmin is about to be released. I wondering if anyone has the 660 and is using the back up camera on a 2017 or the 2018 models that are shipping in june that is pre wired from jayco for backup camera.

I like the idea of all in one unit that can do GPS, campground info, Gas station info, food, and backup camera.

I just hope it's a good unit.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 AM   #2

Info on the 770 from Garmin

Garmin is happy to announce the latest expansion to its RV-dedicated navigator series with the introduction of the new RV 770 LMT-S model. Built specifically for camping enthusiasts, the RV 770 LMT-S offers advanced RV-specific navigation solutions, including free live services*with real-time traffic updates, basic weather information and more. The new navigator offers a bright edge-to-edge 6.95-inch display that is effortless to view any time of day. Additionally, this versatile RV navigator is preloaded with TripAdvisor*data so drivers can see ratings for popular travel points of interest, such as hotels, restaurants and attractions.

Connectivity plays an essential role in the refined feature set of the RV 770 LMT-S with the useful LiveTrack*functionality, a feature that allows drivers to share their locations with friends or loved ones to track their spot along a journey. Thanks to its built-in Wi-Fi, drivers can download map and software updates*with the RV 770 LMT-S to ensure they have the most up-to-date information, even while traveling away from home. This RV-specific navigator also aims to keep drivers informed with trip planner settings that can suggest attractions along a route to add entertainment value during a road trip.

Recreational vehicle drivers require a dedicated RV navigator with purpose-built features to simplify their travels. With the RV 770 LMT-S, drivers can benefit from essential customized routing*based on the size and weight of the RV or towable trailer. The new RV 770 LMT-S boasts a comprehensive directory of RV parks and services that allow RVers to easily find campgrounds and service locations, which can be filtered based on preferred amenities like onsite water, internet access and electric hookups. Campers will also be guided with helpful RV-specific driver alerts for upcoming steep grades, bridge heights, weight limits and more. Users will receive alerts for sharp curves along a route, as well as fatigue warnings that activate after longer periods of consecutive driving without any long stops along the route. The fatigue prompt asks drivers if they are in need of a break and suggests places nearby, such as restaurants and rest areas. RV users can even alter their routes to include preferred roads or cities by touching the screen with the Easy Route Shaping option.

The RV 770 LMT-S is compatible with the Garmin BC*30 Wireless Backup Camera (sold separately) that lets drivers easily view the area directly behind the RV or trailer while in reverse. Additionally, the navigator works with any Connect IQ compatible Garmin smartwatch, such as the new fēnix5 (sold separately), providing driver alerts directly to the watch as well as compass guidance from a parked RV to a destination, and back to the RV again.
2015 Silverado 2500
Old 03-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #3

Garmin - RV 770 LMT-S GPS

So are you going to get one? The Jayco prewiring for a backup camera amounts to an extra wire for power that is tapped of the marker lights. If you look at the garmin bc30 camera, I'm not sure how you'd mount it up on the camper near the marker lights.... I briefly looked at it when I bought my 660.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:38 AM   #4

That's why I'm asking if anyone is using it. I would like to get it but only if I can use the backup camera on my 2018 that is on order.
2015 Silverado 2500
Old 03-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #5

I had the older Garmin Dezl RV 770 (?) with the same size screen and loved it, and after it was stolen got the 660, and like it just as well But, I don't very often use it's recommendations for places to stop, things to see - unless I am worrying about where the next gas station may be.

I have not used the camera option on either, but have been searching all the usual suspect forums for backup camera information. Use the term "BC-30" or it's older version, the "BC-20" when searching.
In sum, most people like them. But, they do get commented on as being a "backup camera" and not an "observation camera". Meaning, the field of view is pretty wide and kind of "fisheyed" - hence you have to be close to something to see it. So you can't see someone coming up behind you on the highway until they get pretty near to your rear bumper. Most posters seem to prefer mounting it down low near the bumper for that reason and use it as a pure backup only camera.
Some report dropout issues with the video, but that completely depends on the distance in your setup, as well as amount of materials the signal has to go through. Those with that issue will run a wire from the camera to the front of the trailer/fifth and mount the sending part in the nose of the trailer, to keep air distance as short as possible.
Most report the video quality is acceptable, but not "HiDef" quality.

To date I haven't been able to find any reference as to whether a third party camera can be substituted so as to make it better for mounting up high.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #6

I have the 660. The 760 was just too large for my dash.. The thing I don't like so far is the way they changed where the different poi is accessed.. took me a while to get used to it.. That said I am now enjoying most of it and love the voice command.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:18 AM   #7

I have the 760LMT and am using the BC20 camera with it.

I wired my transmitter into the running light circuit from within the front pass thru of our 330RSTS TT to get it as close to the truck as possible to maintain a strong signal. I then ran the camera wire into the front closet.

As for the camera, I didn't mount my camera where most do but rather simply fashioned a cardboard box to serve as a mount for the camera and place it on the back of the sofa. I then just connect the two using the 50' extension inside the trailer.

When we setup for the night or longer, I simply unplug the cable and wind it up and reconnect the next morning.

No permanent mount, camera is protected from the weather, no new holes in the back of the trailer, and I can still control power to the camera with the running light switch in the truck.

I am also looking at the 770 and will probably wait to read some reviews and see feedback before I consider upgrading.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:41 AM   #8

The last time I checked it didn't reroute you for propane. No idea why so i went with the trucker model.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
The last time I checked it didn't reroute you for propane. No idea why so i went with the trucker model.
Do you like the trucker model? What do you like about it? I always look for gas stations that have the pumps setup where you can drive Truck and TT not aimed at the station but so you can drive in straight and pull out straight without backing up. Is that an option in the model?
2015 Silverado 2500
Old 03-24-2017, 05:54 AM   #10

Just did a side-by-side comparison on the Garmin site between the 660 and 770. Definitely don't see enough meaningful change to justify the increased cost. I was very close to buying the 660. The good news is the 660 price is dropping...The GPS Store is offering it for $249.95 (new, not refurbished) with free shipping and no tax.
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote