Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #1

Generator Invertor?

I am in the market for a generator and have read all of the forums but one question that doesn't seem to be answered is do I really need an inverter? Since I have a invertor in my RV, do I really need to double the cost and buy a generator with the inverter? I called my RV service manager and he said no but wanted to get all the experts opinion so I am asking you.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #2

I use an old school, loud, stinky and annoying generator from time to time only on my own land, far from neighbors, of if I need an excuse to run it at home and my camper happens to be here, I'll plug it in and run it for a bit just so my old generator doesn't feel too neglected from lack of use.

An inverter generator produces cleaner power, and they are almost always quieter. For camping use, you can get models that supply all the power you ever would need. If you needed a LOT of power from your generator, well you pretty much are stuck with the old school variety. I've seen some in the 50,000 watt range.

More info from Yamaha on the subject -
Conventional Generator vs Inverter Generator

Edit - Sorry I just threw that link out there without giving you my own personal opinion on the matter... which is. If I were to buy a new generator now... it would be an inverter generator. Typically less noise, you can plug sensitive stuff into it if you need to (sine wave is better(i.e. pure)) and I believe most, if not all of them - also provide DC power plugs in case you just want DC power directly off your generator. And just to add, that link above isn't from Yamaha afterall, I was fooled by the URL, good information there none the less.

The inverter in your camper is COMPLETELY different than the one in the generators we're talking about. It converts DC from the battery to AC in your outlets, that's all it does.

Your generator already puts out AC.. the inverter in the generator is just used to clean up the power and it actually converts AC to DC and then back to AC again. I know it gets confusing.. but 2 completely different inverter types are in play here.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #3

Besides the benefits of pure sine wave power (clean power) the inverter type are just quieter.

Assuming that you will only be using this new generator for your RV, meaning the current will hit the converter before any further distribution, I guess the real question is does your converter benefit from pure sine wave power. I can't answer that question, but I would suggest contacting the converter manufacture and get their opinion. I would assume converters are designed for shore power, which is pure sine wave, therefore I would think it would at a minimum be beneficial to the life of the converter.

The other question you need to consider is where will you use this generator. If you are going to be in any developed campground, within 100 yards or so of other campers, them I would strongly suggest an invertor for noise sake alone.

If this generator is going to pull double duty and be used in situations other than power for your RV, then I would again suggest the inverter type. This will provide you the flexibility to use it on more sensitive consumer electronics.

I have never had an RV with an onboard generator. Seems like Onan are the typical. I wonder if they are inverter type generators. That could be telling.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #4

Want to be hated by everyone around you? Get a contractor grade gen. Noisy even at 500 meters.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Want to be hated by everyone around you? Get a contractor grade gen. Noisy even at 500 meters.
That is so true! While camping last July in Utah, we had some people show up two nights before we left and fired up their construction grade generator, running it right up till the 10pm quiet time and firing it up the next morning, letting it run for hours. Thank God we were leaving on Sunday morning and didn't have to listen to it more than one day!
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #6

We are planning to use the generator at our home and possibly while traveling. We don't boondock camp and never plan to use it at a campground
Old 01-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
We are planning to use the generator at our home and possibly while traveling. We don't boondock camp and never plan to use it at a campground
In that case, I'd just get whatever meets your wattage requirements. Those sound like different requirements than what was originally posted.

The generator I have at home would meet your requirements and can be had for about 400 bucks. I use it for power outages here at home, I have an all electric house and it will run everything critical that I need. No reason to pay 1000+ dollars for one that pumps out far less power than a 400 dollar unit will. If you aren't using it for camping, your trailer isn't a factor, noise is less of one, and best bang for the buck is to just get a contractor grade variety at Cabela's, Walmart, Home Depot, or wherever...

I thought you were asking about 'camp ground' friendly units. The only concern you would have with the 'contractor' grade gen sets is the weight, and you'll have to decide if that'a a factor or not.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #8

Just don't want to hurt any electronics in the RV if we have it plugged in while traveling. Might pull in to a parking lot to eat lunch and would use it to run the microwave or something like in while were traveling.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:37 PM   #9

I recommend spending the extra cash and getting the inverter. That said, if you are not planning on running sensitive electronics straight from the generator and noise pollution is not a factor, then a conventional generator may be right for you. If you were to buy a 3000watt inverter you would be able to power an AC unit of 13 500 BTU as well as your sensitive electronics all without making the ruckus associated with conventional generators. I found this website very helpful when it came to explaining the differences between inverters and conventional generators.

Best Quiet Power Generators 2017! Review and Compare Between the Best Quiet Power Generators Available

hope this helps!
Dave
daveevans is offline   Reply With Quote