Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #61

A newbie here so I'm trying to figure this all out. Newbie as in I don't have a clue, thus why I'm here. So I've read all 6 pages. I'm full-timer moving every 3-4 months.
In summation:
~ At the full hookups, I leave the grey open all the time.
~ The black tank, however, I should be closing until 3/4 full, then dumping. Then I fill up with some water to have some in the blank tank before allowing it to be loaded up to 3/4 full again. (I have been leaving it open all the time and haven't added any get-rid-of-smell stuff. So far no problem. But if it's sitting, I probably need to make this change?)
~ When I get ready to move to my next destination, I fill the pot with 5 gallons of ice chunks to "clean" the tank better.

Do I have that correct? Anything I'm missing? And thank you so very much for all this info!
Banglee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #62

I always leave both valves closed. When I am camping with sewer hook ups I dump the black at 1/2 or 2/3 rds then flush the hose out with the grey. The reason you do not want to leave the black open all the time is the liquid will all run out and leave the solids in place.....
Two 24" 1080p led tv's
Prodigy p3 brake controller
Equalizer WDH
2 eu2000i Honda's ( one companion )
All lights converted to LEDs
oaeyeo121003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaeyeo121003 View Post
I always leave both valves closed. When I am camping with sewer hook ups I dump the black at 1/2 or 2/3 rds then flush the hose out with the grey. The reason you do not want to leave the black open all the time is the liquid will all run out and leave the solids in place.....

Ewww! Going to go close it now. Really, really Ewww!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #64

Best video tutorial I can find is from RV Geeks on youtube. Actually really informative. Here's the YouTube link.

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglee9 View Post
A newbie here so I'm trying to figure this all out. Newbie as in I don't have a clue, thus why I'm here. So I've read all 6 pages. I'm full-timer moving every 3-4 months.
In summation:
~ At the full hookups, I leave the grey open all the time.
~ The black tank, however, I should be closing until 3/4 full, then dumping. Then I fill up with some water to have some in the blank tank before allowing it to be loaded up to 3/4 full again. (I have been leaving it open all the time and haven't added any get-rid-of-smell stuff. So far no problem. But if it's sitting, I probably need to make this change?)
~ When I get ready to move to my next destination, I fill the pot with 5 gallons of ice chunks to "clean" the tank better.

Do I have that correct? Anything I'm missing? And thank you so very much for all this info!

I think you are doing well with your method. As suggested it could be beneficial to let the grey tank fill up somewhat also before dumping.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
This cannot be said enough.....
NEVER EVER LEAVE YOUR BLACK TANK VALVE OPEN...
Only dump when the tank is full.. even if you have to fill it with fresh water first..
Thanks to this thread and my search for it, I got a wand last night and used it today. My black tank went from being almost full after emptying to completely empty and I can see the bottom of the clean tank. I'd rather avoid a repeat of this fun so please, and if you want to miss out as well then take Seanns45's advise above.

Learned somethig new!