Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #1

Has anyone replaced their analog TV with a flatscreen?

I am wanting to replace my TV with a flatscreen but I am wondering what others have done to clean up the hole that is left due to the different size betwen the old analog and the flatscreen. I also hear that I might have to put some sort of an adapter on my antenna so that I can receive a signal. Is this correct and would this be a easy mod? Any info is appreciated.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguy View Post
I also hear that I might have to put some sort of an adapter on my antenna so that I can receive a signal.
An antenna is an antenna, whatever you have will work. It doesn't care that the signal is digital vs analog. It just picks up the signal.

There's no such thing as a "special" DTV antenna. It's all marketing.

DTV signals are generally lower power, so a higher gain (larger) antenna might be useful. But the same antenna would have done better analog also.

Assuming you've been using your TV for the last few years, you must have had a digital TV already or a digital/analog converter box; as DTV has been the standard since 2009. Unless you were only watching low-powered stations.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
An antenna is an antenna, whatever you have will work. It doesn't care that the signal is digital vs analog. It just picks up the signal.

There's no such thing as a "special" DTV antenna. It's all marketing.

DTV signals are generally lower power, so a higher gain (larger) antenna might be useful. But the same antenna would have done better analog also.

Assuming you've been using your TV for the last few years, you must have had a digital TV already or a digital/analog converter box; as DTV has been the standard since 2009. Unless you were only watching low-powered stations.
No I had a digital box but it was a cheap model that worked half the time. My main reason is to change my TV because of the weight, but I was told by two different companies that I needed some sort of an adapter for my signal. I guess there is a consumer sucker born every day and I must be one.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

Well assuming you got the channels you were interested in when the converter box was working, you can keep using your stock antenna with the new TV.

If you generally camp at a few locations, you might look at the TV Fool report for those locations to see how far away and in what directions the transmitters are. https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29.

You might need/want a high gain directional antenna. Having one on a RV is at least easier than a house since you've already got the rotating mount.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #5

You could mount an articulating TV wall mount positioned so that the new TV is placed in front of the old TV location. Then add a shelf or 2 in the old TV opening and you have additional storage. Amazon is a good place to look.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for your responses. It gives me something to ponder.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #7

I got rid of all my old analog TV back in 2009 when the changeover occurred...

They went straight to the King George dump here haha...

Went to WALMART and got a couple of there VIZIO flatscreens... Never got to use my free digital conversion box....

I have found the same old crank up BATWING antenna that has the dipoles are about as good as they get for picking up OTA local town HDTV signals...

The Antenna has the dipoles like you see in this photo. The earlier BATWING antennas didn't have the dipoles...

Since we camp mostly OFF-ROAD we use our BATWING alot on the camping trips... Does a great job... This antenna shown is pointing to the transmitter site to the right

LOWES had everything we needed to fill in our large hole...

If you are going to use one of those swing out adapters be sure you have a good back board. Using small screws on the thin RV walls will pull out out on your rather easy...

You may have to put a 3/4-inch back board to spread out the weight something like this google image to be safe...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

Good post Roy, thank you. It gives me something to look at. I also bought a 29 inch Vizio when I was in Yuma about 3 years ago and this is what I plan on using.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguy View Post
Good post Roy, thank you. It gives me something to look at. I also bought a 29 inch Vizio when I was in Yuma about 3 years ago and this is what I plan on using.
Don't take the old one to the dump, send it to the Smithsonian. You may have the last working analog TV left on the planet. Flat screen HD tvs have been all they sell now for several years. They are probably half the price of what you paid 3 years ago and you'll get a better TV.

These things are plug and play. Other than adding a mount if it will go on the wall or staying with a size that will fit in a cubby hole where the old one sits, just plug it in and follow the set up instructions to add OTA channels or hook up to cable or Sat.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote