Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
Helix cooling system...not very cool

My husband and I are new owners of a 2016 north point 377rlbh. We are currently in Texas and the average temp here is usually in the low to mid 90s. Our fifth wheel has two a/c units and comes with the helix cooling system. Our bedroom a/c unit works very well but the other a/c unit and the helix system throughout the rest of the camper does not. While it is extremely quiet, as advertised, I don't feel like it cools as it should. On our hotter days when the temp outside is in the mid 90's, the temperature in our fifth wheel reaches up to 85 (we have the thermostat set on 68-70) and the temp usually won't come down until the sun starts to set. We keep our filters clean and put our awnings out when we can (it's usually too windy here to do so and even when we do it doesn't help much). Has anyone else had similar problems with this system? Is it just at its' capacity for cooling in this type of heat? Has anyone had any luck getting theirs to cool properly? I thought I would post here in hopes there might be a simple solution we can take care of ourselves before we pay to have someone look at it. Thanks for reading and for any help!

Truemarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
Are you running both units together? Close a couple of the vents in the bedroom to help push air into the rest of the FW.

PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #3
This was the first thing we tried. It didn't make a very big difference. We have also tried placing a fan in our bedroom pointed down the hall to blow cool air from the bedroom to the rest of the camper. Not much luck with that either.
Truemarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
I've got no ideas other than what you tried. I'm just hoping that this isn't what is to come when we head to Santa Rosa Beach, FL at the end of the month. Luckily, our spot is heavily wooded with a tree canopy. That should hopefully help a lot.

As a side note, we just got back from San Antonio and stayed at a hotel downtown. There is noway I'd want a wide open spot down there with the RV. It was hotter than Haddies down there!! I don't know how Camper Bob and several others even tolerate it??
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377BHRL (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:39 PM   #5
Well, as Philip Henry Sheridan said: "If I owned Hell and Texas I would rent out Texas and live in Hell."

And it's not even really hot here yet.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
Our last time out was a couple weeks ago. Ours seemed to cool a little better than yours. Here's what I did to help. First, I replaced the ceiling fan. That made a big difference. Second, we keep all the blinds down. Third, I run the fantastic fan. Lastly, I close all the vents in the bedroom during the day and open them in the evening. We we able to keep the coach around 79 with outside being 95 plus. (No shade either). Lastly I had to sound like my dad yelling "CLOSE THE DOOR!" to my kids anytime they went in or out. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 North Point 377 RLBH
2006 Ford F350 Lariat, CC, 6.0PSD, DRW, SCT tuner, air bags, bullet proofed
Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:16 PM   #7
Red face

We are in the same boat so to speak. We just went from a 2013 Keystone Premier 31BHPR with 15k ducted a/c to a 2016 Jayco 29.5 FBDS with 15k "whisper quiet" a/c. Our old trailer had no problems cooling things down and keeping it cool inside even in 107 degree weather. Our new Jayco can't make things even comfortable after several hours in 80 degree weather. The air coming out of the "whisper quiet" system is not very much compared to our other trailer. The "whisper quiet" system has very little difference in air output from the "high" fan setting and the "low" fan setting. I hope this is fixable and not how the system actually works.

Jamsom is offline   Reply With Quote

a/c, fifth wheel, helix, north point, thermostat