Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Roy and Doc,
I'll get these readings this weekend when I change out the IOTA.
The only thing I am thinking is that I've been camping solid for 18 days before this started.
The PO fried the battery in the 1st year I am assuming because it was from having the TT plugged in for a long period of time with a non-smart converter.
I also had the TT plugged in at home and everything fired up for about 2 weeks before I left going through all systems.

If this was an issue of Neg/Pos terminals reversed, wouldn't it have showed itself before 18 days into my trip?

Once it started going bad, it would throw a fault on the frig 2 hours after disconnected from TV repeatedly.

I'll check it and verify.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #42

DOC not true in the house wiring world which is the colors the RV trailers go by. What you are saying is TRUE in the automotive world where BLACK was always ground. Me no EXPORT as well but have slept in many of the Holiday Inn Selects across the US in my working days running with the so-called exports haha...

This is exactly what causes the REVERSE POLARITY of cables. Us OLD guys will put a BLACK cable to ground everytime haha...

The RV Battery hookups will use these two hookup methods...

If you have a BLACK and WHITE pair of cables the BLACK will be the POSITIVE (=) and the WHITE (-) will be NEGATIVE (-). The WHITE CABLE will come from the trailer FRAME GROUND Connections very close to the Battery. This is the RV standard way of hooking up the batteries as well as everything else 12VDC in the trailer.

However since batteries are used in the automotive world alot of cables feeding the BATTERY in the RV are wired with RED and BLACK battery cables. That's the colors I used in my battery lash-up when I added more batteries. So you have to be careful here as they are mixed alot. In this case the RED goes to the POSITIVE(+) terminal and the BLACK goes to the NEGATIVE(-)...

If you ever have to replace your JENSEN AM/FM radio in your POPUP trailer the new one will come in a box with RED and BLACK wires used for hooking up to the 12VDC in the RV trailer. Here you will have to place the Jensen RED Color wire on top of the trailer BLACK color wire and the JENSEN BLACK colored wire on top of the trailer WHITE colored wire. This really makes us old guys roll over in our graves haha...

Doug has already posted photo of his IOTA showing BLACK and WHITE battery cables are being used which shows the black cable is coming from the POSITIVE(+) side of his IOTA and the WHITE is coming from his NEGATIVE(-) terminal. I was just wanting him to confirm one more time for me since I noticed he has never removed those cables at the IOTA unit when he tested things. I don't know for sure if Doug has ever grabbed the WHITE CABLE at the battery and hand traced that cable to the trailer FRAME ground or made 100% sure it connected to the NEGATIVE TERMINAL of the battery case where it should be marked on the battery case as "NEG" or the symbol "-".

http://www.jaycoowners.com/attachmen...779202&thumb=1

I then got to thinking about the IOTA which I think has a detect circuit inside that if it see's the wrong POLARITY it shuts down. Since Doug has never removed the battery cables during his test this may be the reason why the IOTA is not showing the 13.6VDC voltage at its terminals. I was wanting him to remove the battery cables from the IOTA unit and do one more test for me by plugging the IOTA unit into 120VAC and see if it puts out 13.6VDC on its terminals without the battery connected to the terminals. Just me still scratching my head why his relative new IOTA unit has failed. He sure doesn't want to plug in his new IOTA and it goes up in smoke too.... I think it needs one more test...

Just my thoughts
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

To add to the discussion on wire colors...., I up-graded to a PD 9245C Converter/Charger and installed it a couple of months ago. My original IOTA DLS Converter/Charger (mounted to the back of the IOTA ILC-3045 (Load Center) was working just fine but was only a 2-stage unit, thus I wanted the PD Charge Wizard feature (similar to the IOTA IQ4 feature) for better control of my up-graded deep cycle battery bank.

I decided to leave my IOTA DLS in place mounted on the back of the IOTA Load Center as a back-up, but disconnected it from the power circuit, and mounted the new PD 9245 near the Load Center and landed the associated cables/wires.

Anyway, I did take a couple of crude pics of my IOTA connections "prior" to installing the new PD 9245...., the pics reflect the landing location of the cables on my IOTA DLS Converter/Charger:

In my case the system was wired with "RED" landed on the positive lug and "BLACK" on the negative lug...., this was the way they did it in 2005.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #44

Rusty - Thats what I did as well with my 2008 OFF-ROAD POPUP setup... My battery cables are RED(+) and BLACK (-) but I added those....

However the 12VDC wiring that runs to all of the appliances inside the trailer use a 2-cond marine cable with Black and White wires. BLACK here is POSITIVE(+) and WHITE is NEGATIVE(-)

You can see my RED and BLACK wire colors in this drawing... You can see all the wire colors used in the WF8900 series power dist unit as well.

Alot of trailers use the BLACK and WHITE cables going all the way to the battery like DOUGs. In this case the BLACK is POSITIVE(+) and the WHITE is NEGATIVE(-)... Just the way it is....

Roy Ken

2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
Old 05-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

I replaced by 12V IOTA DSL45/IQ4 converter today.
Everything checked out ok and the old one had a fried capacitor.

To replace:
1. Turned off all electrical in TT
2. Disconnected shore power
3. Disconnected battery
4. Took out screws mounting converter
5. Disconnected white and black wires (blk to +) (wht to -)
6. Disconnected frame ground bare wire
Note: the lugs take a square driver, luckily the guy next door had one I could borrow

Before installing new converter, plugged it into 120V and measured 13.56V output

Installation was just reversed.

This unit has a smart charging module that just plugs into converter like a telephone jack and has a green light
I put a screw in this module and mounted it next to converter.

I plugged the old converter into 120V and measure 0 volts output.

I took the old converter apart and instantly seen a capacitor had blew its top :-)

Here is voltage on new converter, just plugged into 120V on bench
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02580.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	7884

Here is voltage on old converter, just plugged into 120V on bench

Name:	DSC02581.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	7885

Here is inside of old converter

Name:	DSC02582.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	7886

I also checked my ground wire from the battery.
It is white and there is a grouping of white wires screwed to frame ground.

I also checked that all 12V system worked before connecting battery. They did.

All is currently well in Santa Cruz along the shore

Name:	DSC02584.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	7887

Thanks again for all the detailed and helpful responses.

Kind regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 05-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #46

Capacitors are often the weak link....probably a 50c part!!!!! I had a hot video card in my last Dell Desktop - had to replace a particular cap about every 3 years.....grrrrrrrr

I'd repair the Iota, test it...keep for spare....
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #47

Thanks for the education Roy. Glad everything worked out well Doug. When I have any rv electronic questions I'll know where to turn. Tony
DocSpratly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
Capacitors are often the weak link....probably a 50c part!!!!! I had a hot video card in my last Dell Desktop - had to replace a particular cap about every 3 years.....grrrrrrrr

I'd repair the Iota, test it...keep for spare....
Yep, I agree Threebutchers,
I'll talk with IOTA or just take it to Radio Shack and replace that capacitor.
I thought it might be a plug in, but didn't come out easy.

A project for another day :-)

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 05-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Doug,

Project successfully completed ...., time to get back to some serious camping

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Doug,

Project successfully completed ...., time to get back to some serious camping
Thanks much Bob,

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 05-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #51

Doug - Glad all worked out ok.... Was good on my side as well scratching my head on things again.... Of course at my age I need to not scratch the head I reckon... Not much hair left up there...

Hopefully the reminding trip will go without a hitch - I doubt it however haha.... Every corner was always a new thing to deal with with us.... My RV TOOL box is getting bigger and bigger every day it seems trying to have all the PLAN B things I need to keep going...

Now that you got all you need for smart-mode charging your batteries will love you. Mine are always on charge sitting here at the house and I still check fluid levels out of habit on a regular basis. Never find them low anymore...

Happy Trails.... Wish I was on a road trip again...

Roy Ken

Old 05-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #52

DocSpratly - glad to help where I can - I'm just a old country boy here and if I get out of line just slap me silly hehe.... Seems like everyday we all learn something new with all the inner workings here... I have already been down a few of the long roads over the years... Glad to say we have made back to the house every time without too much more to deal with fixing things back up for the next trip... Best thing for me is not to be afraid to try something different if the first idea doesn't pan out....

Back in my Arizona days back in the late 60s early 70s we was all doing the JEEP TRAILS big time with all of our gear in the 5x8 off road trailers. Lots of back country tent camping... When something broke down out there in the hills you had to come up with something to get back on the main road... Someone in the crew would always have that something special thing that would work just fine...

This photo from google search really sums it up...

This trailer photo from Austraila would have me king of the hills back then... I may still modify my off-road trailer with some of these ideas... Love it... My trailer box is 12 foot and I have a 5-foot front deck on my trailer for supplies.

Roy Ken

Old 05-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #53

Re: Help 12 Volt Issue - Confused as To Cause

Congrats on a job well done Doug!!! Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Greg
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #54

Good job Doug! I agree, keep the old one and try to fix it.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys,
We all now know how to trouble shoot and replace a 12V converter :-)

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 08-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #56

Searched this sight and found this thread. I believe I have a bad converter and am going to replace it but I cant help but think, "what caused this one to go up in smoke and if I put my new one in, won't it do the same thing?" I believe my A/C has something to do with the cause of failure but don't know how to verify it.
2006 Suzuki DRZ400S
1996 Suzuki DR350SE
DRZRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #57

Here's what I did. Plugged trailer into 30amp generator socket, started turning items in the trailer on one at a time to "just see" if it affected the draw on the generator. All was good with my A/C unit just on "fan", when I went to "cool" the heavy draw was to much and over loaded my gennies. Before I left the trailer to go reset the generators, I smelled an electrical burn smell and saw smoke coming from my IOTA Load Center. After making sure all power was removed from the trailer and turning all my breakers off, I plugged into 110 power and started turning breakers back on one at a time, when I got to the convertor breaker I got a whole lot of smoke pushed out by the fan spinning up till I turned that breaker back off.
2006 Suzuki DRZ400S
1996 Suzuki DR350SE
Old 08-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #58

No breakers ever tripped on their own, no fuses have blown and I don't want to just throw a new converter in there and give it power without having known the cause of the first smoke show. Without having any blown fuses or tripped breakers, how do I troubleshoot the root cause of this?
2006 Suzuki DRZ400S
1996 Suzuki DR350SE