Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2016, 09:07 PM   #1

Help, brakes not working, new 19xud owner in Alaska

My wife and I recently purchased a Jay feather 19xud. From the first time I have been getting a fault message telling me that the trailer brakes are not grounded from my brake controller. I had it back to the dealership to get a couple small things worked on but after I picked it up I'm still getting the same fault codes. The trailer brakes have never worked. Is there anything simple that I can check myself to try and fix this, or do I need to haul it down to the dealership again. Also, on a different note, I found what looks like a single black metal jack foot under my sink. What is this , and what is its purpose. I don't see it in the manual at all.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Alaskachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #2

The metal component, looks like a wall mount for a tv.

Brakes, could be much harder to determine. If round have a multimeter, check the continuity, between the TV and tt. Check the ground wire nut between the 7 pin wire harness and the tt wiring.

You could also connect the TV to the TT, pull the ebrake cable and engage the tt brakes, then try to pull forwards. If the brakes are working, the wheels will not turn, if you five the tt a yank. This can tell you if it is on the tt side or the TV side, unless it is that ground nut.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskachef View Post
Also, on a different note, I found what looks like a single black metal jack foot under my sink. What is this , and what is its purpose. I don't see it in the manual at all.
That is a spare TV mounting bracket; not familiar with the details of your exact model, but look for a black rectangular block on the outside of your TT. That's the KeBloc mounting system. Details here:

https://www.lw-eng.com/categories/1/KeBloc-Products

It's pretty cool, actually, but the manufacturer does not publicize their product very well.

Just a suggestion on the brakes: Double check to make sure you have a good ground connection to the TT steel chassis. If it's loose, that could cause the brake issue you're seeing.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #4

Thank you, for your reply. One question, I will check the ground to the tt first, but if I engage the emergency brake how do I reset it, I have never done that
Old 06-29-2016, 11:08 PM   #5

Depends on which system you have, but they are all about same. Some pull a conacts key, other flip a switch. Before pulling look to see what the cable is connected to. To reset it manual put the switch back they way you found it. It might mean putting a plastic key like device back into a slot.

You will not damage it by engaging the switch.

It's good practice so if it trips you know what to do to reset it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:16 PM   #6

Thanks
Old 07-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #7

I have the pigtail adapter that is specific to my tv. All the lights and signals work on the trailer just the brake controller is telling me that there is a ground problem. I've inspected all the brake wires that I can see, and the ground on the tongue of the trailer looks fine. It's a drawtite activator 4 controller. I really don't know what to do.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #8

There is also a ground wire on the controller, check it.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #9

Still suggest trying it with a neighbors trailer just to isolate TT or TV. Read another post here this weekend where the manufacturer did not install the fuse for the brake circuit in the TV's factory wiring harness (see the "bonehead" thread). Don't think your controller would see this as an open ground, but who knows? Are all required fuses in the TV harness installed and closed?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:38 PM   #10

I've checked the brake controller fuse in the fuse box under my hood and its there and closed. I'm beginning to think that I've got a fault on the tv side somewhere . I'll include pics of the controller plug and the adapter plug. They appear to all have tight wires that match up. I don't know how to check anything else on the tv side. As soon as I complete the circuit by plugging in the tt to the tv I get a flashing 09 code on the controller. How would I check the ground on the controller.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-04-2016, 11:39 PM   #11

Here's the pic from the controller side
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Tags
brakes, not grounded