Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
FYI my 165bh has a loaded weight of 3050#. The tongue weight is 410#. I tow it with a V6 Escape. Your F150 will have absolutely no problem towing it. I do use a WDH with stabilizer bar. I do have hard limits for TV cargo weights but the F 150 has a much higher limit. With 2 full grown people and about 200# of scuba gear I am about 200# over weight.

tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
tugboat, thanks for the info. we are looking forward to getting on the road and want to be safe. Sounds as though the 150 will let us pull without much effort, and we will get a WDH with stabilizer. Appreciate the reply.

Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:29 AM   #13
I use the stabilizer mainly because of the short wheel base and lite weight of the escape. When I pulled it home from the dealer I used my dad's dodge 3500 and didn't need any of it. You might not need the bar with a full size truck but they are cheap and not a bad idea. But I do recommend a good WDH. 410# is a lot of tongue weight for a trailer that size.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
I think a sway control would be fine. Or a light wdh with sway control. I tow a 184bh with a jeep liberty,I def had to get a wdh but sway should be enough
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #15
I too had many questions on all the different abbreviations that pertain to towing, hauling, tongue weight, etc. As a member (moderator) of an F150 site and Mustang site (hi Janet!), I decided to search this all out. I currently own a Ford Ranger 4x4 as my TV. I found by using good old Google, a Ford site that had documents for my year Ranger, and even included a work sheet to subtract options from the total weight the truck could pull; things like wheel packages, side steps, trucks total dry weight, etc, were provided in this work sheet in the form of their weight, and you added all this up, subtracted it from the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating). That left you with what your truck could pull, based on it's frame, cab, and engine.
I was a bit shocked to find that my 2000 Ranger 4x4 was rated at 7000 pounds GVWR! Once I subtracted the trucks weight (mine is the extended cab), I was at the 3900 pound weight left for towing. After subtracting passenger weight, and any camping supplies, I figured in at 3400, enough to pull my Jayco hybrid.
This work sheet also provide the tongue weight with a proper 2 inch hitch.

If you search google on "2010 Ford XLT Towing capacity", you will come to a link (eventually) that will have these PDF documents put out by Ford. Here's a start for your truck:

Asking your dealer may be of some help, but if they are like my local ones, they basically just stare at you like deers looking into headlights.

2015 Jayco Jay Featherlight SLX16XRB (TT)
2007 Ford F150 Tow Vehicle (TV)
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote