Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #1

HELP with winterizing

Made out last trip of the year last weekend to East Tawas State Park on the east coast of MI. Getting ready to put the 17Z to bed for the winter. Everything is ready to go execept the RV anti-freeze. Followed my owners manual to the tee 1pen all low point and fresh tank drains, then close 2: bypass HWT, 3: Insert garden hose into jug of anti-freeze 4: connect other end to city water fill 5: turn on 12v pump 6: open hot water taps until pink stuff flows, then cold, then some down drains. Problem is nothing pumps from the jug. I can hear sucking noises inside the RV but if I stick my finger on the end of the hose I feel nothing. Am I supposed to pour the anti-freeze into the gravity fill? Is there something I'm missing? I've gone through the steps several times to no avail. I even hooked up a water hose to the city fill thinking I needed to prime the pump but that did not work either. I know with all of the wisdom in this site someone probably knows what I am doing wrong HELP!:
RedWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #2

OK. After digging further into the site here I found some clues and I think I have it figured out. THe manual says nothing about finding the pump (buried under an access panel under a dinette seat), or turning any bypass valves or using the hose attached to the pump specifically for this purpose! Hook a garden hose to the city water connection and pump away. I probably would have burned up the pump. Man that's frustrating. Then to top it off I was so happy to find what I need I failed to re-secure the low point drains and proceeded to pump a gallon of anti-freeze onto the ground. Wow, I need a beer. Thanks in advance for responses but I think I'm good now, except for my frazzled nerves.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #3

I gave a response to you on the other thread. I'm glad you found the way to do it as I was concerned with the air method. The next time it will be a lot easier.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #4

Howdy Bill,
Glad it worked out for you. I had my trail by fire as a newbee too. I learned the hard way to drain the hot water heater with a hot water sink valve open before bypassing it. When I did it wrong, even with the water heater drain valve totally open all winter, ALL the water didn't drain out. Needless to say, I had a burst water heater in the spring. I guess it was kinda like putting your finger over the top of a straw filled with liquid. The liquid remains in the straw until you remove your finger. I guarantee you your couple of gallons of RV antifreeze was a lot cheaper than repairing my water heater.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:54 AM   #5

Thanks for the help. It was frustrating but it's done now. Armed with the proper information it really is quite simple. I am concerned about the HWT. I bypassed it, pulled the drain plug and opened the pressure relief valve until water stopped flowing out. Is that sufficient? Should I blow air through the pressure releif to force more water out of the drain hole?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #6

Redwingsfan

You have done what I do for the water heater. Our winter temps usually get colder than -20F at some point. Attwood reps told us at a seminar that the little water left in the heater after draining is not a problem. The reps did recommend flushing the heater occasionally to extend its life.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #7

I just finished winterizing my new rig. From what I can tell, with Jayco trailers, the pipe valves should align with the pipes that they're attached to in order to allow fluid flow. Turning the valve in the opposite position cuts off the flow.

Does this appear to be true with your Jayco?
Ray364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #8

What I do is blow the water out of the system first then pump in the anti-freeze. Im new @ this 2011 will be my 3rd yr camping.
mlrtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #9

how does bottom drawer pull out to get under cabinet 26 bh 2013 travel trailor
bswig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswig View Post
Welcome to the forum. Try posting a new thread with your question in the travel trailer forum for greater exposure.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswig View Post
Don't want to hijack the thread, but since you asked ...

You don't need to remove the bottom drawer to reach the winterizing hose on the water pump. Just pull out the drawer and access it through the large cabinet door under the sink.

If you do want to remove the drawer, just extend it all the way and you will see a black plastic tab on each of the drawer glides. On mine the right side goes down and the left side goes up. Just depress them and the drawer should slide all the way out.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #12

Déjà view from a year ago for me. First year with a modern trailer and I followed the manual to the letter on how to put antifreeze in the system... And it doesn't work. It will not draw it up a hose from a jug. Wasted half a jug trying to pour it down the hose to prime it without luck.

Posted here to see what I was doing wrong and within an hour I was looking under the dinette bench problem solved.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:58 AM   #13

Did you pull the plug on the hot water heater and make sure it drained? I did not see that in your list...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:00 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Did you pull the plug on the hot water heater and make sure it drained? I did not see that in your list...
this thread is 4 years old.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #15

Don't forget to drain the outside shower lines!
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote