Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2015, 05:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
Mike, hopefully you meant you swapped out just the outlet and not the circuit breaker. If you swapped out the 20A breaker with a 30A breaker you run the risk of overheating the 12 gauge wires which is a fire hazard. 30A circuits must be wired with 10 gauge wire minimum.

Ken
Have to agree. 30 amp has more to do with wiring than the type or shape of the outlet. My shop has two 30 amp circuits in it with necessary breakers and correct sized wire. What I did was wire into standard household outlets. I did this to allow mainly for an air compressor to operate while using power tools and such. I also plug my TT into the nearest outlet inside the door but the wiring can handle it. 30a is not determined by type or shape of plug. The size of the wire determines what amperage can be handled. Higher the amps as well as length of run bigger size wire. (10gauge for 30 amp over 25 foot run) Any 120v outlet can be put on the end.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:15 PM   #22

Does any one know the maximum distance you can run the 10 guage underground wire.
Diesel Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #23

Here's a recent thread highlighting why an owner might want to include a GFI for a home 30 amp RV recepatacle.

"The comments and replies here about trailer shocks and system problems are exactly why I recommend using GFI protection if anyone installs a home 30 amp trailer receptacle. Just because the majority of campgrounds don't install them ($$) and the NEC National Electrical Code doesn't mandate them doesn't mean that they aren't a good safety device for RV's."

Trailer frame electrified?
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ied-27317.html

Often it is the family pet that is killed because their feet are directly on the ground with no insulating footwear.

vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
As has been posted here already, any tingling or shocks at all are dangerous and potentially lethal.

Mike Sokol has done some great research and provided good reference as to understanding your system. He highlights some of the dangers involved with RV power systems.

Every RV owner should review his site.

The Shocking Truth About RVs | No~Shock~Zone

The comments and replies here about trailer shocks and system problems are exactly why I recommend using GFI protection if anyone installs a home 30 amp trailer receptacle. Just because the majority of campgrounds don't install them ($$) and the NEC National Electrical Code doesn't mandate them doesn't mean that they aren't a good safety device for RV's.

vlc
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Mike1 View Post
Does any one know the maximum distance you can run the 10 guage underground wire.
A lot of variables in this. First you have to determine you load. In this case 30 amps. I do know that 10 gauge will deliver 30 amps for a run of 200 feet. I can't cite charts on here, I just know this from practical application. (My pool pump was installed with these specs) Now 50 amps at 200 feet would require bigger wire. Also 30 amps at 500 feet would likely require bigger wire. Its all in how much voltage loss occurs in the wire. This loss is also determined in type of wire, copper, aluminum, gold, etc. As well as the ambient temperature of the area. I hot factory would require shorter runs when compared to wire underground. I only have a phone app now but you can Google amp capacity charts and you should find a chart with your application. Being residential use the following in your search as it's the most common stuff used. copper wire , 10gauge, 30 amp load should give a max length.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:34 PM   #25

www.nooutage.com has a good voltage drop calculator. It also explains how to take this drop in to account for size and length of wire. A little bit of drop is ok but not much. Punch in your specs and see what the drop is. If it's too high for the run either use bigger wire or shorten the run. Remember our 30 amp trailers rarely use a full 30 at any given time. Usually it would require all lights the microwave and the A.c. starting up at the same time. A running A.c. is only 14-16 amps. It will be higher when starting. Other words you might not need the full 30 depending on your setup. Its all in the total load at any given time. Unless you are running it 1/2 a mile down the road, 10 gauge should be ok for 99% of residential applications. I'm not an electrician but I am a USCG Licensed Chief Engineer. I know enough to work with it but I am not an expert in electricity. I install it but I don't design it. Your house, so double check everything.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #26

Thanks Tugboat, I was looking at putting a pedestal which is about a 600ft run from the source. I will take a look at that link and get it figured out. Im guessing with a run that far I will most likely have to go with 8ga.
Diesel Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Thanks Tugboat, I was looking at putting a pedestal which is about a 600ft run from the source. I will take a look at that link and get it figured out. Im guessing with a run that far I will most likely have to go with 8ga.
Most likely higher than 8ga, could be 4ga depending on conditions. Don't want a voltage drop more than 10% max.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:38 PM   #28

Quote:
600 ft is pretty significant. Gonna have a lot of voltage drop. 8gauge probably won't do it either. You're looking at a significant investment. 8 yrs ago 10-3 underground wire cost me a dollar a foot. 200bucks just for wire. I'd call in a licensed guy and make sure the numbers work. You can always dig the trench and lay the wire he tells you to. Then call him in to do the actual hookup. You'll be surprised at just how easy it is once you figure out the correct numbers. Easy money for him and piece of mind for you.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
Mike, hopefully you meant you swapped out just the outlet and not the circuit breaker. If you swapped out the 20A breaker with a 30A breaker you run the risk of overheating the 12 gauge wires which is a fire hazard. 30A circuits must be wired with 10 gauge wire minimum.
Ken
Yes, only the outlet. I know I'd have to upgrade the wire to safely install a 30A breaker. I just have to keep the load under 20A. Not hard with the old 18' TT. My new 23' may give me some grief.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote