Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #1

How to summerize plumbing

Okay, so I am a new 2015 27' Jay Flight owner and the trailer is winterized. I went thru the walkthrough with the dealer and now I have it home and it's time to get the plumbing from winter to summer. I can't remember all the details they told me at the dealership, like turn these 3 knobs in reverse of what they are now etc. I looked in the manual and it's not much help, is there step by step instructions somewhere for my TT. I don't want to do this wrong and screw up the water heater and other items. Help please.........
UpNorthMGOBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #2

See if this helps...

Basically, you want to enable the flow through the water heater and block the bypass of the water heater. So the knobs should be in line with the flow... blocking is perpendicular to the flow.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:17 PM   #3

This is a closeup of how the water looks when NOT bypassed and in normal use. When you winterize, you do the opposite on each knob.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #4

Open the water heater door outside and check to be sure the drain plug is in and snug. Some use Teflon tape on them, some do not. Also make sure all the "Low point drains" are closed. Sometimes those valves are located inside the unit, sometimes outside beneath the unit. If you miss closing one, you'll know because you'll have water running out one of them. It varies as to how many low point drains there are due to design considerations.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #5

And also, DO NOT turn on the water heater until you are absolutely certain that it is full of water.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #6

Thanks all, the diagram helps, I will write this all down step by step, cause that's what this old brain needs. I wish dealers would provide it, but they can't think of everything for every model.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #7

Best thing to do is start by studying that plumbing system diagram and get an understanding of how everything ties together. Once you can see where water comes in, and how it moves through the system and out to the tanks, you'll become more comfortable. You should also understand that if you're connected to city water, you don't need nor use the 12V water pump. That only comes into play when you're using fresh water from your holding tank.

And to echo and emphasize what rryman said about the water heater. Set the knobs to the normal position using the second diagram above. Make sure the plug is in the tank, the low points drains are closed and there's water in the heater BEFORE you turn the water heater on. You can do this by opening a hot water tap at the sink and waiting for water to flow while the system is filling. Once you have a good flow coming, THEN you can turn on the water heater.

If you want to test from your fresh water holding tank vs. the city water connection, make sure your water pump is set to on so that the plumbing system pressurizes. This is not required if you instead are using the city water connection.

Hopefully I haven't further confused you... and please feel free to ask questions. That's why we're all here.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:31 AM   #8

Thanks to all who posted, I was able to figure this all out. One of the low point drains was kind of hidden under bathroom sink and as soon as I found that and closed the rest of pretty easy. I step closer to getting this camping season rolling. First stop this year will be Hartwick Pines in Grayling MI for Memorial Day weekend. Happy Camping
Old 05-21-2015, 06:45 PM   #9

thanks to this thread i was able to figure out the summerizing process. One thing that I am not sure about is how i am certain that there is water in the water heater. i am sure i am missing something simple but if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

taking our TT out for the maiden voyage this weekend and the whole process is making me a little nervous ;-)

thanks in advance.
wise612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise612 View Post
thanks to this thread i was able to figure out the summerizing process. One thing that I am not sure about is how i am certain that there is water in the water heater. snip...
Once the valves are in the right position (not water heater by-pass position), run water through a HOT side faucet with water heater OFF. When you get a solid stream (without air) the water heater is full.

If you want to be sure beyond that, with all pressure OFF (no city water pressure and your TT pump OFF), pull the water heater drain plug. If water runs out, you've proven that water was in it. Replace the plug and run hot water with the water heater off until all the air is out (again).
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #11

thanks for the help and the quick reply. that seems like something i can manage ��
wise612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:37 PM   #12

Just did mine today. Lots of good advice here. I have also found YouTube to be a great resource. Plenty of how-to videos to help you through.