Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #1

Install battery disconnect

Question from an electrically handicapped guy.
I would like to know how to install a Battery Doctor #20393 disconnect switch on dual 12V batteries. It states connect lug#1 to positive Battery #1 and Lug #2 to positive Battery #2. Got that part. Then connect common terminal to "starter or solenoid." That's where I lose it.

What do I connect common terminal to exactly? Seems like it should go to inside the TT with the original wire that's connected already, but which wire?

Happy RVing,
Jeff.
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #2

That would be to the positive line to the camper itself.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #3

Is your goal to have 2 SEPERATE battery banks?
Or is it to just have an ON/OFF disconnect switch for the batteries.

Hooking it up the way you are describing, you will be able to run off one battery, or the other battery, or combine both batteries.
You will only be able to charge both the batteries together when on combined(1+2).

Otherwise, if you discharge one battery and switch to the other battery, then the dead battery will never charge until you switch to 1+2, or switch back to the dead battery.
If you switch to 1+2 to charge them again and one battery is 90% full and the other is dead then your smart charger won't charge properly because it won't read that one battery is dead.

I think you would be better off wiring your 12v batteries in parallel and using the switch as a simple disconnect.

Just my thoughts ... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Is your goal to have 2 SEPERATE battery banks?
Or is it to just have an ON/OFF disconnect switch for the batteries.

Hooking it up the way you are describing, you will be able to run off one battery, or the other battery, or combine both batteries.
You will only be able to charge both the batteries together when on combined(1+2).

Otherwise, if you discharge one battery and switch to the other battery, then the dead battery will never charge until you switch to 1+2, or switch back to the dead battery.
If you switch to 1+2 to charge them again and one battery is 90% full and the other is dead then your smart charger won't charge properly because it won't read that one battery is dead.

I think you would be better off wiring your 12v batteries in parallel and using the switch as a simple disconnect.

Just my thoughts ... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Klassic-
Yea, your are right. Hadn't thought about that but only want to disconnect both at same time. Picked this one up for $20 at a CW in Mesa,AZ so I'll see if I can trade for a single on/off disconnect at CW in Albuquerque next Tuesday.
Aren't the batteries already hooked up parallel by dealer? Guess I'll check.
Thanks much for the input.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 02-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #5

You could still use it. Unless a simple disconnect is much cheaper and worth talking it back.
Just hook up your two parallel batteries to "1" and the trailer side to the common.
You would disconnect by turning to "off". Turning to "2" just wouldn't do anything.
Hopefully you have an OEM breaker or fuse in that battery wiring somewhere.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #6

That sounds good...both on the #1. If CW won't give me an exchange deal, I'll just do as you suggested.

Now you see what I meant by "electrically handicapped." Lol

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 02-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #7

No not both on number one.
The batteries on number 1 lug and the trailer side on the bottom lug. (I don't know what they labeled it)

Unless you meant battery one and battery two on number 1. Then that's a waste of time and wire. They should already be hooked up in parallel in your battery box.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:29 PM   #8

Okay, guess I'm to dense to understand. Bear with me and let me know if I understand correctly:
If I get a simple on/off disconnect switch, I hook up only one battery positive cable to switch. I take off the trailer positive and hook to the other terminal in switch.That will break the positive current flow and stop parasitic usage? Right?

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 02-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #9

Yep.

AND if you want to just use the switch you already have then hook that one positive battery cable to the lug "1" and the trailer positive to the lug underneath at the bottom of lugs 1 and 2.

In both cases you SHOULD have a breaker or fuse between the battery and the switch. In case something grounds out the lugs on your disconnect switch, or your wire gets nicked.
I'm sure Jayco has one there somewhere, but you need to make sure it is between the batteries and the switch now.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:23 AM   #10

Klassic-
Got a single on/off disconnect at CW yesterday. This one says to hook up on the negative line. The double one said the positive line. Why the difference?

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 02-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
Klassic-
Got a single on/off disconnect at CW yesterday. This one says to hook up on the negative line. The double one said the positive line. Why the difference?

Happy RVing,
Jeff
If you ask 10 people as to which terminal the disconnect switch should be on you will probably get 60% saying the POSITIVE terminal, if you ask 10 people why, most likely most will not have a good reason. The jury is still out on this one, but there are some logical reasons as to why to disconnect the NEGATIVE. The main one is that with the NEGATIVE connection opened there is no chance that you could accidently short out something while working on your electrical projects around the batteries (with no shore power connection). There are also a some studies that show by disconnecting/connecting the NEGATIVE terminal produces less of an arc (should there be a large load on the battery at the time). Go figure… I believe NASCAR still requires that the POSITIVE side of the battery be disconnected, unless they changed that old rule.

NEGATIVE side is the one you want

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #12

Like Mustang said.

But I'm one of the other 10 people. (And so is my Northpoint designer..and my Progressive Dynamics power center designer) My disconnect is on the positive for various reasons.

It's simple to cut power at the negative. Probably the route you want to take.

If your putting the disconnect in a compartment, your ground wire probably won't be long enough to connect to the switch and still reach the frame ground point it was on. So you'll need a new longer ground wire, and another wire from the battery.
Depends how your doing it.

If you disconnect the +12v, most likely your old wire will reach and you'll need a new wire from the battery to the switch. Again, depends on how you are doing this.
But the wire before the switch is still "live". So like I said before, if you choose to disconnect with the positive, put an inline fuse or breaker around 6 inches after the battery.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #13

Klassic and Mustang65-

Guess I'll go with the negative side as suggested. Why do things have to be so complicated. I'm a finance guy and I want things black or white but I am finding a lot of grey areas in the world of RVing. That's okay I guess...it sure makes things interesting.
Thanks for your help and comments.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Old 02-17-2016, 07:23 PM   #14

Black is positive, white is negative. LOL