Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #1

Installing 600W Inverter in X23B

I have completed the interior work on installing a 600W inverter in my X23B. I chose the Samlex PST-600-12 because of its low idle power draw and needing pure sine wave to power sensitive electronics. I only want to provide AC power for a satellite receiver, PS3, Blu-ray player and laptop charger.

I found a great spot for it. I was concerned about losing front storage space. However, once I removed the screws fastening the plywood making up the center bench for the dinette, I switched from planning to installing.

And no space is lost.

I bought the Samlex 1000W installation kit. It ordinarily comes with two ten foot lengths of 4 AWG cable, a 100 amp MRBF fuse and fuse block, pin connectors and other supplies. I used a YQK-70 hydraulic crimper for the custom install of the pin connector. I cut an equal amount of cable from both the positive and black cables. YMMV, I cut off about 18 inches. As an aside, my kit came with 2 AWG Royal Excelene brand cables.

In the picture below, the positive, negative and ground cables are routed through the hole in the left corner of the partition. I purchased separately the 8 AWG insulated, stranded ground wire. At this time, I chose to save some money by delaying the purchase of a transfer switch. So, I also routed a 15 amp rated replacement cord with only a male plug through the hole to make an extension cord. This cord connects the inverter to the shore power cord to energize only the breaker for the outlets.

By sheer luck, the inverter slots in between the wall and the vertical wood support as if by factory design.

Part two will show the exterior work. (in a couple of days)
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #2

And Part Two...

These pictures are designed to give fellow X23B owners a sense of what is involved to install an inverter in an X23B. A good transition from the interior pictures to the exterior ones is to mention the tip to use silicone spray to help persuade the wires and cables through the hole in the floor.

Below, I connected the green ground wire to the frame

I really like the MRBF fuse and fuse block supplied by the kit.

The picture below shows the custom made extension cord connected to the shore power cord to energize only the breaker for the AC outlets.

Here, the charger for the cordless drill is getting its power from the inverter via the 110 AC outlets. Woot!

2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote