Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #1

Installing from two to one battery

Need to know how to go from two 12 volt deep cycle batteries in my Jayco Fifth Wheel to just one. When I took out the old batteries the white cable (neg I believe) was connected from the left side of the compartment to the top battery and then another white cable from the top battery to the bottom one. The black cables were not connected to anything????
justincoccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #2

So only one cable was connected to the battery from the 5th wheel? Did you have two 12v batteries in parallel or two 6v batteries in series?

If the black cables were not connected to anything I am assuming the batteries were not hooked up and working right? No power to the trailer?

Any chance you can upload a picture for us?

There should be a white cable and a black cable to connect a battery to your 5th wheel. The colors are not always consistent but one should attach to the frame nearby. That will be your ground and the other cable will attach to a breaker or fuse. That should be the positive connection. Any cables originally attaching one battery to the other battery won't be needed when installing a single battery.

Hope that all makes sense.
Cheers
Old 03-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #3

thanks so much for responding. we had two 12v batteries - both are dead. want to replace with just one 12v since we don't do a lot of dry camping. here's what we have in the compartment - the battery you see is the one we want to install.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #4

not sure if you received the picture...new to forum and can't seem to figure out how to send a picture. also, I have others if you need to see them. would be happy to send via e-mail if you prefer (I do know how to do that!)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #5

No pictures showing up. To upload a picture click on the "Go Advanced" reply button and then click on the little paper clip icon. Then browse on your computer for the picture to upload.

Cheers