Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #1

Installing rear view camera

I have a 2012 Jayco Jay Flight Swift 145RB and a rear view camera that weights 1 pound. I'm wanting to install it about midway on the rear of the camper, high enough to see above the tire, but I'm concerned about drilling holes because of wires or vents. I'm inclined to drill through and put an aluminum plate on the inside, rather than try to just attach it to the skin. Any suggestions? Since it'll be constant on while driving, I'm going to attach it directly to the battery. That way I don't have to have any running lights on. Thanks for any information.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #2

You do not give any details on what camera. You have. I installed a Voyager wireless phone on the rear wall of my pinnacle where the center red marker light is. The light has a center hole for the wires and you power the camera from the lights. When I sell the unit I can remove the camera and reinstall the light.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #3

I'll have to think about that. I didn't want to have to keep my running lights on all the time, but that's a possibility. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #4

Bill why not keep your running lights on all the time? It adds another margin of safety to your trip. I mounted mine near the top of the trailer close to the center.. Pics etc in the mod's section.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #5

Thanks to both. The idea is really growing on me. That gives me control when I want the camera on, and will keep me from draining the battery if I forget. I'm less likely to leave the running lights on when I'm parked. I also noted that I have a solid surface to attach the camera. The system I purchased is a "Wireless Quad camera System" from Rear View Safety, and seems to be reasonable compared to some prices I've seen, and the items appear solid. I don't have them connected or working, yet, so can't speak to their effectiveness, but they're warranted to be good for 70', much more than I need with my Swift. Again, thanks.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:44 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBn65pU9 View Post
Thanks to both. The idea is really growing on me. That gives me control when I want the camera on, and will keep me from draining the battery if I forget. I'm less likely to leave the running lights on when I'm parked. I also noted that I have a solid surface to attach the camera. The system I purchased is a "Wireless Quad camera System" from Rear View Safety, and seems to be reasonable compared to some prices I've seen, and the items appear solid. I don't have them connected or working, yet, so can't speak to their effectiveness, but they're warranted to be good for 70', much more than I need with my Swift. Again, thanks.
Just a followup, I wonder if you ever got this installed and how is it working out? I am looking for a rear view wireless for my wife's car to give a rear view while driving.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Just a followup, I wonder if you ever got this installed and how is it working out? I am looking for a rear view wireless for my wife's car to give a rear view while driving.
I installed the necessary wiring to be able to quickly hook up the camera to the camper when the weather breaks, but haven't had a chance to try it, yet. I'm really looking forward to this, for safety on the road. I adopted someone else's suggestion, and installed the camera by replacing the middle upper running light on the back of the camper. I actually installed a weatherproof box on the camper, and installed the camera to the cover, so all I have to do is plug in the device and attach the four corner screws. I have a second cover on there at the moment to keep out the weather, although the camper is covered for the winter.

As a part of the package that I got, I got a second camera that I had installed on my van (that pulls the camper), and I've been using it for about a month. It is a bit of a help; it is also a distraction. Instead of having to focus on three mirrors and my windows when I'm backing out of a parking space, I'm also having to glance at my monitor. It does give me a better handle on how close I'm coming to cars behind me, and it would be lifesaving if there were a small child behind me, but there is the added distraction. I've only been out at night a few times with the van, but I did notice once that it really lit up the area behind me, and I could see things very clearly. I'm having to wipe the lens occasionally in this type of weather to continue to see clearly.

I think my cameras have a 90 degree field of vision; I've seen some that have a larger field of vision. They might be better for seeing further to the sides when I'm backing out. I've had the system in use to below 0 degrees; it's supposed to be safe to about 30 below. I decided not to leave it on the camper overwinter, though. I am looking forward to being able to back the van to the camper to hitch up. That should help a lot, and backing the camper into it's parking space at home is tricky, and the camera should help, greatly.

To be on the safe side with the website, I won't post the name of the company where I bought the system, but if you search for quad back-up camera, you'll probably find it. To me, the convincing claim was that it would be active at 70'. It was more expensive than other systems, but seems to be quite sturdy.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #8

I should be able to figure this out, but someone here probably has the answer. The camper wiring for the middle rear running light is white and black. The wiring for the camera is red and black. The red wire goes to the light's positive, and the black to the chassis ground. I've always thought of black as positive and white as negative (ground), but both campers I've had have a white wire going to the positive side of the battery. Maybe my confusion is that I've done 120 v wiring, but not much 12 v. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #9

the black should be 12v hot and the white is neg.
3500 Ram Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #10

Do the running light covers simply pop off, or is there some other method for replacing the bulb or attaching camera power wiring?
Deacon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #11

Back up camera

It's been quite a few months since I installed the camera, and I'm still working out bugs, but essentially I popped off the cover, removed the bulb, and took out the screws holding the light fixture. I had to cut the wires, and strip them. I may have been able to connect the wires and affix the camera to the back of the camper, but I took it a step further, and attached a white waterproof electrical box to the camper, so that the wires came through the back. I made sure that it was sealed well with caulk. I also took care to mark the wires white/black. I think that the two wires that protruded were both white, but I could see into the hole and tell which was black and which was white - I used some white paint to denote the white wire. I had already attached the camera to the plate cover of the waterproof box, with the wires through the cover, so it was a simple matter of attaching male/female ends to all the wires. I put another cover on the waterproof box until Spring, and then plugged the wires into their respective outlets and attached the cover with the camera. Unfortunately, my wire connections were not solid enough, and I've had to replace them, but haven't had it on the road since to make sure it works.
It worked sporadically, and was a great help when in traffic, and also in backing up. I also have a back-up camera - same system - on my van that I use to pull the camper, and when I'm ready to hitch up, I focus it down to the ball and I can generally back right into position and drop the camper onto the ball.
Another project this summer - we've noticed in the past that the inside lights generate a tremendous amount of heat, which is a problem in summer. I switched them with LED for about $35 (no heat). I think that the ones I got on Amazon (others have commented) are not as bright as the original ones, but we haven't tried them under camping conditions, yet. I saved the old bulbs, was careful not to touch them, and I can put some back if we need to. I should also be able to buy a couple brighter LED's for where we need them, if these are a problem.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #12

I gave you a long, involved discussion about the installation, not remembering that I'd already described a lot of it, before. I labeled it "Back up camera" instead of rear view camera. For some reason, responding to your post got complicated, with my having to re-sign in, so I'm not sure you would get my reply. Simply said, the cover pops off, the bulb can be removed by pulling it, but I'd remove the whole fixture to install the camera.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #13

Thanks very much for your comprehensive answer! I sincerely appreciate it.
Deacon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #14

I am both new to this forum and the RV world, although I am technically proficient. You guys area wealth of information and I am stuck regarding the wireless Camera install. I really hope someone can help.

I took apart the top middle marker light, expecting a black and red wire combo, or some other color combo. but instead have 2 black wires going into the bulb. So which one is the ground and which is hot?

It's a 2016 25BH..... Trying to get it set up so we can take our kids on the first "tour".
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Derek
qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #15

Congratulations on your new Jayco and welcome to the JOF.

I don't know about the wiring question. With two wires of the same color, I guess the quickest way to find out would be to find a known good ground (such as the frame) and run your test light or voltmeter between that and one of the wires; with the trailer lights ON, of course.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:15 PM   #16

Thx "OldmanAZ",

I did a lil more research and found that most trailers have brown/white wires going to the Marker/side lights. I guess I need to dig a little further to find these wires.

Thanks for the info though.
qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:59 AM   #17

Since there is more than one marker light up there, could the lights be wired in serial where all three (or more) lights are wired in one circuit? That might explain the two black wires.

Just a thought.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #18

Email Jayco and ask for a wiring diagram.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote