Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #1

Internet Service for RVs

We are purchasing a 2015 Jayco Seneca TS and would like to travel quite a bit. I work from home and would need a good internet connection (not broadband but about DSL quality) is there a good solution for this through DISH or another satellite provider?
meyerjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:25 AM   #2

I just finished a 4 month stretch as a host at a state park. No WiFi is available, so I just use my smartphone as an hotspot. It works great and I just increase my data plan when needed. One other thing I do is I have a Router w/ WiFi as WAN. The router picks up the WiFi from my smartphone and broadcasts another hotspot. The reason I do this is so I can hook my wireless printer up to the second hotspot and can print or scan just like at home. Works great.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
Site Team

Do you only leave it on when in use? We do the same thing when we can't get wifi but the phone can't be used as a phone when used as a hotspot.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #4

I use PdaNet. You have to tether your smartphone to your laptop, but does not use any of your data plan.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #5

We use a VERIZON MIFI HOTSPOT Plan. This creates a Secured WIFI HOTSPOT for up to five WIFI ENABLED connections and works anywhere you pick up a VERIZON CELL PHONE signal.

Works out great for us for minimal use of the internet to check emails, keep in touch with the kids, pay a few bills and some surfing the Internet. This does not support ANY down streaming of TV or MOVIES. One movie will eat up our datatplan in a heart beat...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

I have a laptop that I tether to my At&t phone with PdaNet. It DOES use your data plan data. My wife uses her Sprint phone to connect the same way with PdaNet. It also uses her data on her data plan but she has unlimited. I travel all the time and the At&t has a much better data connection most of the time vs. Sprint. If you have a 4g or 4glte connection, which I have most of the time with At&t, you can usually use the phone at the same time as a data connection but not with a 3g or less data connection.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #7

I stand corrected. I used to have unlimited and was thinking it did not use data plan.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Yea Ken I use to have unlimited with Sprint, but switched to At&t because of the way better 4g/4glte connections. I have to scan my paperwork in which I do through my laptop where ever I am. I use about 10g/month. I went over again this month but At&t automatically "gives" you another 1 gig for $15. On Android phones you can go to <settings> <connections> <data usage> and it will tell you how much data you have used. It even breaks out PdaNet (FoxFi).
Old 09-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

P.S. I also go to Canada quite a bit. I turn off my data on the phone because the international data is way too expensive. Oh At&t is more than glad to provide it, but I would be broke by the time I got back to the U.S.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
We use a VERIZON MIFI HOTSPOT Plan. This creates a Secured WIFI HOTSPOT for up to five WIFI ENABLED connections and works anywhere you pick up a VERIZON CELL PHONE signal.

Works out great for us for minimal use of the internet to check emails, keep in touch with the kids, pay a few bills and some surfing the Internet. This does not support ANY down streaming of TV or MOVIES. One movie will eat up our datatplan in a heart beat...
I use the same thing when camping. I check it out from IT. I can also make my S3 a hotspot but this works much better.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #11

Ummh...I work in IT. May have to see if any of those are laying around ;-)
Old 09-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Isn't the Mifi hotspot like a separate phone line? My Samsung Mega supports up to eight devices without the added expense of a different line/device. I tether it using a USB cable to my laptop (hardwired) as it seems to be more reliable. FoxFi (PdaNet) is free. I haven't tried the Mifi so it may be better but I'm not sure why it would be. I thought it was good for those whose phone doesn't support a hotspot.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
Isn't the Mifi hotspot like a separate phone line? My Samsung Mega supports up to eight devices without the added expense of a different line/device. I tether it using a USB cable to my laptop (hardwired) as it seems to be more reliable. FoxFi (PdaNet) is free. I haven't tried the Mifi so it may be better but I'm not sure why it would be. I thought it was good for those whose phone doesn't support a hotspot.
My S3 will only tether for 30 minutes (or something like that) and then disconnects and asks me to buy the full version. I can just reconnect and continue doing this but it's a hassle. Otherwise you're correct they are essentially the same.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

I paid for the full version of PdaNet as I use it on the road all the time and it was cheap. One can also transfer it to other phones. All it is is a license key. Save the email they send you with the key as you will need it every time you upgrade your phone or want to install it on another phone. I put it on the wife's phone as well. She loves it as she travels some to.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
P.S. I also go to Canada quite a bit. I turn off my data on the phone because the international data is way too expensive. Oh At&t is more than glad to provide it, but I would be broke by the time I got back to the U.S.
I found this out this past Summer. HUGE bill!
Part of the problem was that I cancelled the international data plan upon re-entering the US but we camped at Thousand Islands State Park in New York which is only about 100 yards from the Canadian border. So, we picked up service from the Canadian side and they nicked me pretty good.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote