Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #1

Is this normal operation for a water heater?

On our 25RKS when I switch on the gas water heater it will fire and run for a few seconds and then stop. A few seconds later it will re-fire. This repeats several times before it stays on. Is that normal? We've only used the trailer 4 times and one morning we had no hot water but the heater came on after I switched it off and on. Is there anything I need to check? The heat chamber and exhaust look clean.

Thanks,
Dennis
wayfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #2

Based on my experience the answer is yes.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #3

wayfun, here's what I think may be happening. Water heaters that do not have a pilot light are lit by a small electric spark. When you push the switch on, the propane comes on, the spark occurs, and then the heater flame happens. If for some reason the flame sensor does not detect the flame, the propane turns off for safety reasons. This cycle will occur several times if there is not successful lighting, and then cease until the switch is cycled. This problem can be caused by a defect, or by the propane lines not being full of propane - which is hopefully what is happening to your heater. If that is the cause of your issue, the cure is simple. When you get your trailer ready for use, turn on your propane and then go to your range top and light the burners and let them run for a few seconds until the flame is steady. This will fill your lines with propane. Then light your water heater - being sure it is full of water - and let it run until the flame is steady, cycling the switch if necessary. After that your water heater should operate normally. You may want to do this same procedure with your refrigerator and heater..
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #4

I second this advice ^. My fridge was having troubles lighting, and it was because of air in the propane lines. Running the burner on the stove for half a minute solved the issue every time.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #5

the electronic ignition will cycle until it gets a steady stream of propane. Usually takes a few times to lite, especially if no used for some time.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. We're using the trailer this weekend and it seems to take at least two attempts at ignition before it stays on. But it's working. Now it appears that the electric portion of the water heater isn't working at all. How do I check that?

Dennis
wayfun is offline   Reply With Quote