Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2015, 09:50 PM   #1

Question Jayco 28BHS on a seasonal non-electric site

We have the most beautiful site in a wooded campground. It has (or had) electric but unfortunately it was never hooked up properly - a former seasonal site holder paid to have it hooked up as that's how it works in this campground, if you have a non-electric site and want it hooked up, you have to pay a licenced electrical contractor to hook it up for you. Because it was never hooked up properly, it's causing issues for everyone else up the line, so they are disconnecting our electrical service.

I believe we were given the site last season because my husband is a licenced electrical contractor, and they knew the electrical at the site was wonky. He is full time military but this is his (legal) side job, just for kicks, he actually loses money at it. The only reason I point that out is because we can't afford to put out $$ for parts (over $700 in parts alone, possibly a lot more if the wire has to be run back to the main panel...) on the chance we could be posted away any time.

So we are debating on just renting the site as non-serviced. It's about 1/3 less per year, which would help offset some of the costs of extra propane etc.

The only concern I have is keeping the trailer cool when it's really hot outside. We have two young children so I would like to keep them reasonably comfortable at night so they can sleep (and it would be nice for the adults too!). Is there any reasonable way to run the A/C without 110V power running to the unit? We are considering a decent solar powered system, only because (unlike paying for parts to upgrade the site) we can take it with us when we get posted out.

Other than finding a way to run the A/C, are there any good ways to keep cool without 110V hookup? I find the fans just don't cut it.
CanadianW's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:17 PM   #2

I don't see how you will be able to keep cool without shore power. Curious to see if more seasoned campers have ideas....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Site Team

No real way to run AC without the shore power short of an expensive generator, and that`s likely really not an option or possibly not even allowed on a seasonal site. You could install a high volume fan in the bathroom vent to help move some air, and install another vent in the bedroom ceiling with another fan. Is the site in Canada and how often do you have serious hot weather?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #4

You cannot run the A/C but here is what I do on those hot days.. all the roof vents are now Fantastic fans and as soon as it starts heating up out there I turn them on and then open the windows only on the shaded side of the RV. IF your awning is also on the shaded side BONUS.. keep it out.. my screen room attached to the awning is always 10-15 degrees cooler than inside the RV. This year I also bought a silver tarp and put that on the sun side of the RV.. HUGE difference in temps.. just make sure it does not interfere with the fridge water heater and furnace vents.. (you could probably go with a camo colored tarp with similar results.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote