Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #1

Jayco water pump issues

Went on our first trip,everything worked well with the exception of the water pump. We had to run off the tank as we were in a SP. Water pump functioned fine until later in the evening I was my hands in the kitchen sink. Shut off water went back outside and I heard the pump kick on for a second. Thinking the water wasn't shut off I went back in and made sure the kitchen valves were closed. They were but a couple of minutes later the pump did its quick cycle, we just turned it off and I figured I would look at it in the morning. Next day I checked all the valves including the drains under the bathroom sink and found no leaks. I left pump off and let it sit for an hour and turned the faucet on with out the pump and got a little water out before the system lost pressure. Now it seemed to me if it was a pressure loss nothing would come out. The connections at the pump seemed tight and I checked the tank vent. Could the pressure switch be going bad ?
Old 08-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #2

Could be a little dirt in the check valve.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:23 PM   #3

Could also be a small leak in one of the low point drains, especially being an older trailer. They are just little "O" rings and they do wear out. I just replaced the 2 on one of my low point drains. Find where it is under your trailer and see if it's dripping when the pressure is full on. BTW, if it is the "O" rings, watch the size of them. Each LPD on mine has 2 different size rings. You can get them at any hardware store.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:04 AM   #4

Back your pressure setting off a very small amount. The hot water in the lines contracts as is cools, which may create enough pressure drop for the switch to activate the pump.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #5

Mine sometimes does not seat well. Other times it works fine. IMHO there is some stuff in the lines from production (little bits of plastic from drilling) that gets in the bypass valves. It could also just be grit in your water that is getting sucked into the pump.

I would check the water in the tank (run some water from the drain line). If it is clear then there may be something in the pump or a bad seal.

You could disassemble the pump and clean it. See if anything looks bad and try again.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay67 View Post
Went on our first trip,everything worked well with the exception of the water pump. We had to run off the tank as we were in a SP. Water pump functioned fine until later in the evening I was my hands in the kitchen sink. Shut off water went back outside and I heard the pump kick on for a second. Thinking the water wasn't shut off I went back in and made sure the kitchen valves were closed. They were but a couple of minutes later the pump did its quick cycle, we just turned it off and I figured I would look at it in the morning. Next day I checked all the valves including the drains under the bathroom sink and found no leaks. I left pump off and let it sit for an hour and turned the faucet on with out the pump and got a little water out before the system lost pressure. Now it seemed to me if it was a pressure loss nothing would come out. The connections at the pump seemed tight and I checked the tank vent. Could the pressure switch be going bad ?
Have a good look outside. My 25rks was doing something similar. I found that the check valve in the city water connection was leaking causing the pump to cycle. There are you tube videos on how to take apart and get o ring in the correct location. Mine was not pouring out but was just slightly leaking. Took valve apart put O ring in correct location and problem was solved
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #7

Thank you for all the replies. I will check all of it out. I did notice sandy grit in the bottom of the fresh water tank drain plug