Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #1

Jensen JRV215 GPS map updates

How can I get updates for this GPS? This is the GPS/DVD Player/Radio that Jayco installed in my 2015 Greyhawk. Naviextras.com listed in its menus does not list this device on their web site as being updatable.
hoppers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:47 PM   #2

I'm not certain, but I just placed a query with the Naviextras.com site to see why the model is not listed. Have you installed their update software on a PC yet to see if it connects to the unit successfully? I'd do it right now, but my Greyhawk is in storage right now and it'd have to wait until this weekend for me.
mcsenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #3

mcsenerd, I haven't taken any action except to go to their web site and look for an update. It'll be interesting to see if they get back to you and if they do what they have to say. I could install the SW on my laptop and take it out there just for grins but I think I'll wait for their response to you.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:28 AM   #4

I found the gps on this head unit to be almost unusable. I ended up buying a garmin dezl. Life is better now.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #5

I agree that the unit is not very usable. Operational I found it to be just OK, but the location doesn't lend itself to driving and using. I also have a Garmin that works just fine but it would have been nice to have this unit to use in a pinch or as a backup device.

I sent a query to Naviextras.com and was told this unit is not currently updatable. That makes the Nav portion of this unit useless.

Update: Heard back from Jensen (ASA Electronics) and they claim that the unit is updatable and that Naviextras.com made a mistake in their listing. Naviextras.com has the unit listed as jrv213avn. I'll update this thread as the saga continues.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #6

Usable or not it would still bug me if I couldn't get updates since that's what I paid for. Finally got an answer from Naviextras.com that was correct. This unit has a micro SD card right above the USB/headphone plug. I never notice it before. You have to install Naviextra's tool box on your computer and then access this card. I don't have any dongles, printers, or computers that will accept a micro SD card so ordered an adapter. It'll be interesting to see if I have to pay for updates.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:42 PM   #7

Well. I pulled the micro SD out of the unit today to see if their software would work with this unit. I got it to my computer and gave it a go but it told me that I hadn't "shut down" the navigation software right. So....back to the RV. I replaced the micro SD in the unit and started the navigation again and this time made certain to exit the navigation program instead of just returning to the home screen. Back to the computer... I proceeded to insert the micro SD into a card reader and then into my PC, and started their software. The software recognized the device from the Micro SD right away (incorrectly labeled, but recognized) and it stated that there were three updates available. I installed them without a hitch. Don't remember exactly what they were but I think they were 3D images and updated POI information. Still not the best NAV experience but I think it looks like it's certainly updatable after jumping through a few hoops.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #8

mscenerd, thanks for the heads up! I should have the adapter in the next day or two so I can try it. I was hoping that the first updates would come with the unit and not get charged for them.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:26 PM   #9

No problem. The next thing I'm going to try is upgrading to a larger capacity Micro SD and see if I can get some movies stuck on there that will actually play with the unit. I've been looking for any potential replacement units out there that might be better, but this unit is pretty feature rich. I think it'll be tough to find another unit with 3 camera triggered inputs, SAME Weather radio functionality, DVD, Nav and more. I know it's not the cat's meow when it comes to navigation, but for what you're getting in a single package...it's pretty tough to beat.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #10

I'm a bit slow on the uptake but I've figured out why you're interested in this thread. The mcse gives it away. The ever curious techno weenie that always wants to take on new, different, and interesting challenges just cuz you can. Takes one to know one. I'm not an engineer but I've got years of electronics and IT experience including hardware, Excel, and Access.
Like you said, may not be the greatest unit out there but it does do a lot. That being said, using it this last week I was headed home so I punched up home (saved as a favorite) and half hour later the unit was still displaying the rotary because it didn't know what to do. Had a good satellite lock. Did a restart a couple of times but the only way I got it to work was to enter in my address manually. I'm still going to keep the Garmin with me especially since I have lifetime map updates.
Weather channel did come in handy for me last week.
I'll be curious to see if the SD can be used for anything but the GPS.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #11

Got the MicrosSD adapter today and updated the GPS data. Looking at the existing data on the unit, maps of states are from 2012 and were not part of the free updates. Only some 3D data and POIs were updated. Also some of the other parts of the unit firmware were updated. Map updates are $90 for a years worth of updates and $70 for a one time update. I'll be using my Garmin for some time to come since it comes with lifetime map updates. Matter of fact I just updated the Garmin maps yesterday. Such a deal.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #12

Well, just updated my crappy Jensen Radio/GPS with no problemo's. Just pulled out the micro San Disk out of the radio faceplate and put in adapter sleeve for computer and it brings up the webpage for updates. BTW, it is listed under Jensen JRV213AVN my updates were free !

Takes about 45 minutes for updates (3) on mine.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, jrv215n, nav, update