Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #1

Kitchen Sink P-Trap (another thing to check)

This past weekend while dry camping (thankfully had electric) I was sitting outside under the awning when I hear a drip. Looking back I see water dripping from the side of the trailer wall, but the inside. I was fearful that the A/C was leaking through the roof, through the inner wall some how. So I started to investigate.

The leak was right in the kitchen area, so I started under the sink. Low and behold, the P-Trap had disconnected from the sink. Easy fix, but it bubbled the shelf a little bit. I have tightened the connections, and placed a plastic bowl under the trap in the event it happens again.

So just another thing to check when arriving at the CG.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about your mishap, but glad there wasn't any major damage. Bumping down the road at XX mph can shake a lot of things loose - including the kitchen sink! In my first TT, the factory installer had cut the drop tube out of the sink so short that it didn't take much to shake it loose. I'd do the dishes at night (before going to bed), and in the morning there would be water on the floor. Took me three or four outings to figure out that's where it was coming from. Fortunately, the CG was close to a Home Depot, and I was able to pick up a longer drop tube and get it installed. Also fortunate, I took along my little tool kit.

Your advise to check your S-trap connection each time you pull into the campground is very sound. Thanks for reminding us! And always carry a few tools: including a hammer, some screw drivers, pliers, a couple of wrenches and/or channel locks, a small hack saw, a utility knife, and (of coarse) the handyman's helper - duct tape.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #3

This happened to us when we had our 22FB. It was the only thing that ever went wrong in that trailer. Once I reconnected and tightened up the fitting, I used some Gorilla tape to reinforce it. Never had another problem with it.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:56 PM   #4

Nylyon we also keep a large pan under our sink. Every once in a while we have a mystery leak and the pan catches it. We have not been able to locate ours and neither have three different dealers so once a week we check the pan. As you said, just something else to do.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Nylyon we also keep a large pan under our sink. Every once in a while we have a mystery leak and the pan catches it. We have not been able to locate ours and neither have three different dealers so once a week we check the pan. As you said, just something else to do.
We had a similar problem and after checking everything I removed the faucet and found the gasket wasn't installed properly and doesn't really fit all that well. Some silicone sealnat cured that leak area, but we also found that water dripped on the hinge area for the glass sink cover would also leak down into the cabinet. They don't fit tight around the hinges and water slopped while washing dishes or hands will go down through the rubber grommet onto the shelf below.