Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #1

LED Ceiling Lights in Greyhawk

We have noticed that some of the ceiling lights in our 2015 are starting to dim. The hardwired lights are made from an array of 15 individual diodes (9 on the smaller over table/sofa lights). We are seeing some of these diodes dying and wondered if anyone else is having this issue. The dealer already replaced one bulb assembly under warranty since it was completely dead, but what about the others that are dying a slow death? Where to find replacement bulb arrays?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1157.JPG   IMG_1156.JPG  
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #2

Our 5th is a '13 and came with all incandescent bulbs that I replaced with LED's. I'm not an expert by any means but I would think you could get an aftermarket plug-in style and clip the plug and solder in place of your dead LED unit. If you can remove the fixture and make sure there's no electronics in the fixture and not on the square card that'd be good to do before diving in but I'd bet it's all on the card. I bought all of mine from a supplier in China and got extras. I've had a couple of failures so the spares come in handy.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:13 PM   #3

I would just replace the dead diode with a socket. Then you can have whatever LED you want, and if it ever fails, you just pop a new one in, just like if a standard bulb blew.

I don't get why manufacturers are hard wiring all these panels? Why not use the same old fixtures we've always had, but replace the elements with an appropriately socketed LED panel? They're SUPER easy to find in a variety of shades and brightness levels...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I would just replace the dead diode with a socket. Then you can have whatever LED you want, and if it ever fails, you just pop a new one in, just like if a standard bulb blew.

I don't get why manufacturers are hard wiring all these panels? Why not use the same old fixtures we've always had, but replace the elements with an appropriately socketed LED panel? They're SUPER easy to find in a variety of shades and brightness levels...
You make a good point about the fixtures. Might be worth looking for older versions and "downgrade" the fixture.
A thought about my LED failures. They've all been the same kind, replacements for the "small" halogen bulbs. I think it's a bad batch. None of the other types have given me issues in 2 years.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Agree with you completely here. I really don't understand why these LEDs are installed like they're permanent. They're subject to failure just like any other electronic device. The LEDs may last a long time but never as long as claimed. Just installed some can lights in my house using standard fixtures and screwing LEDs into them just like any other bulb. Sure is nice to be able to select my color and brightness and then be able to replace easily if they fail.

Sure hope the LEDs in my MH last longer than a couple of years but, like somebody else mentioned, I'll be replacing with socketed fixtures if they do fail.

Just for grins, went to Ebay to see what they have now for RV lighting and they have a ton of it. If you don't feel like getting this repaired under warranty, then there's a nice assortment of 12VDC LED lights and fixtures available. If you're not comfortable with Ebay, I'm sure there's lots of other places with the same stuff.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #6

Why do they do it the way they do? When no other reason comes to mind, its because its cheaper.

Duh, right?
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger
apr1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr1967 View Post
Why do they do it the way they do? When no other reason comes to mind, its because its cheaper.

Duh, right?
It can't be that much cheaper. I get cheaper, especially when you're talking about the quantity of lights Jayco probably installs. But at the same time, how many are they replacing under warranty? Of course, there are a TON of things that would fit in that category though...

LEDs are quite failure prone, especially the cheap ones. Why not make the elements replaceable and save in the long run?

Still, if it were me, I wouldn't have them replaced under warranty, I would replace it with a better part my self.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Still, if it were me, I wouldn't have them replaced under warranty, I would replace it with a better part my self.
X2
Old 04-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #9

I haven't seen any go out on our 2016 yet but now I'll pay attention!

Replacements here:

https://recreationpro.com/collection...nterior-lights
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
It can't be that much cheaper. I get cheaper, especially when you're talking about the quantity of lights Jayco probably installs. But at the same time, how many are they replacing under warranty?
The Chinese company they get them from probably credits them.
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger
apr1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #11

This company:

Command Electronics

Makes many of the RV industries lights. They are making the round LED lights that are in the 2016 Jayco models. They are injection molding the plastic parts themselves, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are buying the LED modules from overseas. I'm sure the RV industry is like any other, the lowest bidder will win the business, so adding a connector that is a few cents can make a difference when you are quoting thousands of lights.
jkorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #12

Quick follow-up on this post. Just emailed Jayco directly regarding this problem since nearly 1/3 are now slowly dying. They said that they did receive a bad batch of these flush mounted LEDs from their supplier around the time my Greyhawk was built (March 2015). Waiting to hear if they will swap-out all current LEDs in MH with current supply so to fix the ongoing problem.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #13

Yep - will replace all. Got an email back from Jayco service and will replace all (even if not dead yet) under warranty. Hopefully Jayco has cycled or disposed of bad batch and my dealer gets good ones when I take it in for servicing the end of this camping season.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #14

I have a 2017 JayFeather 23 bought in October and already 3 have failed in different ways: button switch sticks so can't turn on resulted in one being stuck in the on position and burning out (literally darkening the plastic fixture with heat). I'm on the road moving weekly so difficult to get in for service. tried 4 weeks ago after first two failures at Little Rock Camping World and they didnt even get it called-in to Jayco and in any event said they would have to get approval which can take "days". I'm now scheduled next week in Oakwood GA Camping World where I can leave it for a week. I'm also betting these cheap fixtures are failing all over and Jayco should just grant a blanket warranty approval to replace with proven quality. Anyone else?
H4HNomad is offline   Reply With Quote