Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #1

LED replacement lighting - a success story

All of the lighting (internal and external) in my 2011 23FB G2 is made by Command Electronics. Just remove a lens to find out.

That company also makes LED replacement upgrade kits for virtually all of the lighting for the trailer. The exceptions are the LED replacement bulbs for the decorative light over the dining table and the hood fan light.

I have so far replaced the tail lights, all running lights, and the interior lighting with great results. When we replaced the tail lights (a very easy task with their upgrade kit), we tested after the first one was replaced. The back of the trailer was in direct sunlight and we could hardly see the incandescent tail light but the replacement LED elicited an "OMG" from my wife as it was clearly visible and the brake and turn signals were even more dramatic.

The clearance lights are not quite so dramatic but then the electrical usage is significantly less the the incandescent ones.

On the inside, the LED replacement for the overhead lighting provides an nice bright warm white. Those replacement come with a new lens that diffuses the light much better the the OEM lens.

The conversion is not cheap. For the whole trailer it was over $300 which, of course, could be done in pieces with the tail lights and running lights being the ones I would opt for first.

The LED replacement bulbs not available from Command Electronics, I got from SuperBrightLEDs.com

Regards,
Jim
obrienj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #2

I've been looking into this lately and would like to at least do the tail lights. Which replacement bulbs did you use? I'm looking at the website now, but don't see what I'm looking for.....
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #3

In my case I did the following:

First I removed the lens on one of the tail lights and looked for the manufacturer "Command Electronics"

Then I checked for the unit number is 003-81xxx where "xxx" may be some set of letters and numbers.

If all this is true, you want to get the K-0026 Upgrade kit which includes the upgrade for both tail lights. Note that one has in incandescent bulb for the license plate. There are new lenses in the kit. They also include connectors.

It is a well planned and executed kit.

Regards,
Jim
Old 04-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #4

I found the K-0026 on the Command Electronics website, but not the superbrightLED site. I'm almost positive that I have these same lights, but I need to run out to the storage and check before I order.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #5

Because we camp in areas without electrical hookups I converted almost all the interior lighting to LEDs. I also installed two large storage batteries. I have been very pleased with the results. I see no value in installing LEDs in the running/signal/brake lights.
Gbeck37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbeck37 View Post
I see no value in installing LEDs in the running/signal/brake lights.
See original post where it says that they are drastically brighter and more recognizable than the standard incandescent. It's amazing how many people out on the road don't see a 35' trailer. I want to make sure that my brake lights are as bright as possible so that they catch everyone's attention.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
I found the K-0026 on the Command Electronics website, but not the superbrightLED site. I'm almost positive that I have these same lights, but I need to run out to the storage and check before I order.
The only lights I got at SuperBrightLEDS were the the ones for the decorative light over the dining table and the one in the hood fan.

Regards,
Jim
Old 08-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #8

obrienj,

What set did you use to replace your running lights?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #9

KodiakCamper,

I did the same thing that I did with the taillights and interior lights, I popped off a lens and looked for the manufacturer (Command Electronics) and copied down the part number.

I went to the Command Electronics web site and looked for the LED replacement UNIT not bulb (the site has an LED replacements section). I called their sales number and verified what I was ordering and placed the order with them.

Be aware, that they sell replacements that are red and yellow so be sure to have the number of red units you need as well as the number of yellow ones. They are NOT interchangeable by law. Red must be in certain locations and yellow in others.

These folks go so far as to color code the hookup wires to reflect the color of the LEDs ( which look cream colored) and the lens. LED color and the lens color must be matched or you don't get the light output you expect. In some cases, if they are not matched, you get no output.

Also order their adhesive backed gaskets and if the units don't come with the "push-in connectors", order enough to do all the lights (2 per). The connectors make the job much easier.

As to the effectiveness of the LED running/stop/tail lights, I had a trucker come up to me at a Flying J and complement me on the fact that he could see the lights on my trailer long before he actually saw the trailer at night.

That makes me feel a bit more comfortable.

BTW, my luck with SuperBright LEDs has been less that satisafactory.

Regards,
Jim