Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #1

LED Television not running on Inverter

I have researched many threads where RV'ers wire their TVs to an inverter; however, we just took delivery of a Jayco Envoy 100 that has an inverter (pure sine wave) but the tv will not power up while inverter is on. The generator muse be running or plugged into shore power.

Is there a way (easy-ish way) to make it so the TV will operate on inverter?
khdlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #2

Do you have a 12V (cig lighter) socket near your TV?

If so something like this will work. An LED TV doesn't pull a lot of power. Depending on size about 50-60w or so.

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Power-.../dp/B003Q54V88
Old 03-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #3

Was just about to start a thread about the same thing.. Having the same issue with my 2008 Greyhawk. I can't believe you can't run the flat screen LED off the coach batteries with the inverter on. Are we both missing some trick and doing something wrong or is this just how it is?? No tv for quiet hour boondocking.
steelcityk9cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:07 AM   #4

Not missing anything. They just are not wired that way.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #5

It won't if the ignition is on. You have to over ride the safety.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...-on-11021.html
Old 03-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #6

Ignition is off so it's not the disconnect. The inverter remote switch is on, the power light is on, yet every outlet in the coach is dead. Hit the genny and everything comes back to life.

Tomorrow i will check the fuse layout to see if there is one and if its blown. The inverter and the converter are both listed however on a 30amp breaker. Perhaps the inverter itself tripped??
steelcityk9cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #7

Most have a reset or breaker on them.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #8

I have found that in my new Envoy, only certain outlets are powered by the inverter. The outlet up front for the tv is not one of them. It does power the outlet opposite the tv. Guessing they don't want you to run the tv while driving.
gabe7924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:02 PM   #9

Probably the easiest thing to do is find the receptacle that is working off the inverter in your setup and run an extension cord to where your TV set is located...

Otherwise you will have to break into the 120VAC Power Distribution Center and break out the wires that run you TV receptacle and get it to switch to that leg when the Inverter is on...

Another solution is to purchase a low wattage PSW Inverter like a 300WATT PSW type (AMAZON) and connect that to your battery setup and run an extension cord to where your TV set is located. I do that with my setup and this inverter is always on running all of the so called items we need to have on whether we are on city power or running off the batteries... I ran two extension cords from this Inverter with one going to the Home Entertainment area and the other one going to a table next to the bed we sleep in.

Of course when running off the Inverters you have to know when to quit using the batteries and start recharging them as if they ever get below their 50% state of charge then they will start self destruction.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:27 PM   #10

Bummer, bummer, bummer.

I tried the bypass method today and wire nutted the black leads together, took the black copper line from house power and wired it directly to the outlet, started the rig, re-engaged the main power and nada. Still would not power the outlet. The safety switch has three wires running back into the molding, white, Black and Red. I am assuming they somehow have this all running back to the fuse panel in the back.

I understand logic behind the safety switch, but my intention was to watch a bit of news in peace without the generator whirring away. I'll keep trying and may have to break down and run the extension cord.

If anyone has worked with this safety switch a bit more, please let me know. Thanks for the help.

*******EDIT********

Cutting the RED wire tomorrow (I fell like McGyver). It pays to click through ALL the pages!!!!
Will post update in the AM. THANK HEAVES FOR YOU ALL!!! THANK YOU!!!
Old 03-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #11

I'm dying to know. Did it work?
Old 03-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #12

Well tried disconnecting the red (or purple - they are joined together), tried wire nutting the two blacks together tried removing the entire plug and replacing it with a new receptacle. Nothing works. The only way to get this outlet, as well as ANY OTHER outlet to work is to have the generator running.

It appears that the minute the generator is turned off the outlets go dark. You press generator off, then click and all outlets go offline.

Hind sight 20/20. But this is a major downside to this model line. Nothing can be plugged in like an iPad/phone and charging unless the noisy generator is running (while away from shore power). I sure would like to have a chat with the engineer on this line of RV's. They may want to actually use one before putting one together!

Deducting two points for the Envoy 100!
Old 03-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by khdlr View Post
Nothing works. The only way to get this outlet, as well as ANY OTHER outlet to work is to have the generator running.

It appears that the minute the generator is turned off the outlets go dark. You press generator off, then click and all outlets go offline.
If you have an inverter and you have no power ANYWHERE using the inverter (when generator and shore power off), it seems to me you have something wrong than can/should be corrected. Has your dealer been any help? You might even contact Jayco Customer Service and ask them to find out exactly what outlets SHOULD work on the inverter.

Most inverter-equipped units have a small transfer switch that switches the inverter-supplied circuits between the inverter output and the Generator/Shorepower side of your wiring. I am wondering if it isn't switching over.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
If you have an inverter and you have no power ANYWHERE using the inverter (when generator and shore power off), it seems to me you have something wrong than can/should be corrected. Has your dealer been any help? You might even contact Jayco Customer Service and ask them to find out exactly what outlets SHOULD work on the inverter.

Most inverter-equipped units have a small transfer switch that switches the inverter-supplied circuits between the inverter output and the Generator/Shorepower side of your wiring. I am wondering if it isn't switching over.
I have a 2016 Greyhawk. The ONLY thing the inverter operates in my rig is the living area television. That's it. It's the only outlet connected to it. In order to watch this television with the inverter, the truck MUST be off WITH THE PARKING BRAKE ENGAGED. Turn on the television and presto!
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #15

Which length/model did you get? I have the 26 and at least a few of my outlets are hot with the inverter on. Just not the one that the tv is plugged into.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe7924 View Post
Which length/model did you get? I have the 26 and at least a few of my outlets are hot with the inverter on. Just not the one that the tv is plugged into.
31FK. I haven't tried any other outlets with the inverter, because we were told during our PDI that the living room television was hooked up to the inverter outlet to prevent drivers from trying to watch tv while driving. I'm new to the generator/interter thing. I just know that we tested the television with the inverter and it wouldn't work unless we had the parking brake engaged.
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post

Transfer switch is built into the inverter.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #18

I called Jayco today, Really nice - I was pleasantly surprised (due to a number of other threads calling out manufacturers), and was told the TV should be operating on a plug that runs from the inverter. I went out again, pressed down hard on the parking break, pushed the button for the master power switch, then pressed the inverter button. Waited 10 minutes, no power. Proceed to turn on the generator and whalla the TV comes on.... Turn generator off, TV goes off.

Jayco stated if that the TV does not work that the service company should be able to assist in resolving the issue. So off to the service center I go.....
Old 03-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #19

Hopefully it is something simple when you get it looked at. Please post back when you get it fixed, your (unfortunate) experience may help another user also having trouble. That is what is so great about JOF, owners helping other owners!

As you may have seen by the other posts there is a way to "defeat" the interlock that keeps the TV off while driving. Many have done it to enable children/grandchildren to be entertained while traveling. It sure helps to keep them occupied as you travel, safely buckled in watching "Frozen" for the 100th time!

The driver just has to promise not to contort themselves and try to watch it too!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by khdlr View Post
Proceed to turn on the generator and whalla the TV comes on.... Turn generator off, TV goes off.

Jayco stated if that the TV does not work that the service company should be able to assist in resolving the issue. So off to the service center I go.....
At this point I'd guess a bad inverter, could also be mis-wired.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote