Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #1

Light fixtures

I have a 2013 Eagle Premier 321 RLTS. The lights under the overhead cabinet are a flat, round disc type that are almost flush with the bottom of the cabinet. How does one get inside them to gain access to the bulb? I have tried unscrewing them and pulling them straight down with no success. Any help will certainly be appreciated. Also, are they halogen, incandescent, or LED?

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #2

Twist the lens clockwise. It should come off in your hand, I have the same lights in my trailer. They only turn an eighth of a turn. They are halogen bulbs. I think they are G4s. You may have to apply a slight upward pressure when you are turning.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #3

I exchanged the bulbs with LED's in all of our halogen fixtures (19 in total) and I'd guess 6 to 8 of them were tough to get off. csfaulk is correct, a short turn CCW and then pull down. I seem to recall that someone posted that they broke a lens getting it off. I used one of those rubber "pickle jar" lid removing pads that helped me get a better grip.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #4

How do you know which LEDs to replace the halogens with?

Benny & Gracie (Two Bearded Terriers)
ChiefChazFaz (My Sweetie of Almost 50 Years)
MissEllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:48 AM   #5

If they are a Halogen Bulbs with the 2 Pins, they are G4s, there is a G4 LED Replacement that looks like a round disk with the same 2 Pins.

http://www.hero-ledstore.com/side-pi...putobct3222hu3

Also, twist the lens CCW and them pull down to remove, they can be tough sometimes.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #6

Thanks Rob_,
I was looking online at so many pins and disks that were similar, my head was spinning. So does the little bar at the junction of the pins and disk matter? I've seen them with and without the bar.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #7

The little bar doesn't matter. We had 2 different sizes of halogen bulbs in our 5th the "big" ones were 20W and the "little" ones were 10W. I replaced then with round disk type LED's like Rob mentions. The pin spacing was different between the two sizes but the G4 worked for both with a little bending of the pins.
Once you decide on the basic shape (the disk or other) there's 2 other things to consider.
1) get the right color. It's called "Color Temperature" and is specified in Kelvin (K).In general, I've had good luck with about 3000K. It may be called "warm white" and is pretty close (IMHO) to the halogen color. I wouldn't buy based on the color description but on the color temp.
2) how bright? If you want to get LED's that will closely match the original bulb you need to know how bright the original bulb is. A google search of the bulb type ( Halogen T4 20W, 921 or whatever) will probably lead you to a brightness specification (measured in Lumens).
Find an LED with specs that pretty closely match the color and brightness and you should be good to go. I've bought quite a few from ebay this way and have had good results. They take a while (1 wk or so) to get here from China but the prices are pretty good. I always get a few extra for spares. Most camper supply stores will sell LEDs but they seem to be pricey.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 06-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #8

Wow! Thanks for all of the information. I ordered two lights from Arizona, from internet. One worked the other pulsed after it was on for about a minute, it was also hot to the touch. I did get the color right, whew.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #9

The ones I installed to replace the halogen bulbs to get hot, not as hot as the bulb tho. I think when you make light you will also get some heat. An incandescent bulb makes light because the filament gets so hot it glows, so the light is a by-product. The LED generates light due to the electrons (electricity) moving from atom to atom in the thing (anyway, that's how I understand it).
I've not had any problems with the replacements that I've installed but I did get some extras just in case. There is one set of our lights that interfere with our radio but it's a minor issue.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 06-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #10

Thanks RedHorse1
It was hot like an incandescent bulb . . . I emailed Roger at wired.com and he is sending me a new light. He thinks it was defective. We tried it several places and it pulsed. Being the wife of a fireman some things scare me, I like my Embark the way it is, not it flames. I am going to order more lights from Roger, good quick customer service.