Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
Site Team

Lightning strike nearby

Last week we were camped in NC and a lightning storm came thru about 5pm. My 50a TRC surge protector was on the job.
We had a loud/ close lightning strike, power went out and I smelled burning electronics.
We heard a loud chattering sound from the Surge protector and the lights indicated power was on. I unplugged the unit and checked voltage on both 50a legs as ok.
Plugged back in w/o the 34750 and all was well, other than the microwave was fried.
I sent the unit to TRC today. Also priced a new MW.
More to come...
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #2

We just recently had the TRC 50amp surge protection installed in our Precept. Hope we don't have to try ours out this way. LOL
Newbie31UL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #3

TRC should be replacing the microwave too..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #4

We boondock 100% at our own campsite. The power is off when we aren't there. If we are there and a storm comes, naturally I would turn off and unplug the generator, but should i turn off the battery to the trailer as well?
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
We boondock 100% at our own campsite. The power is off when we aren't there. If we are there and a storm comes, naturally I would turn off and unplug the generator, but should i turn off the battery to the trailer as well?
In my opinion completely unplugging from shore power during a known severe electrical storm is the best response.

There is so much power in a lightning strike that when one actually hits the power system there is little technology that can completely suppress the voltage spikes. Power system design relies on grounded sky wires and other technology to help reduce the likelihood of a strike because designers realize that once the strike happens the available power can just be too great to handle.

It would be impractical (impossible?) for an in-line plug-in surge protector to be designed heavy enough to suppress a strike which hits close on a power system. The RV suppressor units can help to prevent reasonable voltage spikes and surges. It is naive to think that one will survive a powerful close strike let alone suppress it. It is best to unplug to isolate yourself from the shore power. Thinking that you get total protection from any in-line suppression system brings placebo effect to mind.

I would not be concerned at all with using the RV 12 VDC electrics during an electrical storm. It will do nothing to encourage or discourage a lightning strike. If your RV ever actually gets struck by lightning you will have much bigger issues than worrying about the 12 VDC system survival. The same applies to an on-board AC generator as relates to use when unplugged from the pedestal.

Personally I would disconnect from the shore power pedestal and just go into 12 VDC operation mode to maintain a relatively normal life.

FWIW. vic

P.S. - Physically disconnecting the plug is what I'm suggesting. Just turning off the main pedestal breaker still leaves a spark gap between the circuit breaker contacts which could be bridged with a close strike on the power system.
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #6

X2 on unplug from the grid if lightening is expected and don't mess with the 12VDC system. Keeping the battery connected will help damp out spikes in the 12V system from a nearby strike. Again, fried electrics will be the least of your worries if your RV suffers a hit strong enough to overload the battery.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Why? If you are on shore power lightening can hit a power line miles away and travel through the power lines to your rig .. if it hit your generator your rig would probably be fried anyway because that many volts that close would transfer to you..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Why? If you are on shore power lightening can hit a power line miles away and travel through the power lines to your rig .. if it hit your generator your rig would probably be fried anyway because that many volts that close would transfer to you..
No power poles. All I have is a genny.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #9

Quote:
No power poles. All I have is a genny.
If you are not connected to the grid then statistically there's no more danger to your trailer if you operate your generator and use your 12 vdc power system during a lightning storm.

The only real concern would be if there is a strike very close by which puts your trailer within a strong emf field. In that situation your equipment might be a little more susceptible to solid state component damage from gradient voltages, but that damage can happen even if the equipment is not energized at the time of an extremely close strike.

Operating your generator or 12 vdc system of itself will not attract lightning to your location. A high mounted solar array or high antenna might increase the risk, but those set up different conditions than just operating a stand alone trailer power system.

vic
Old 05-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
Site Team

Lightning and RV's (good read)

It is that time of the year again and here is National Lightning Safety Institute (NLSI) paper on RV's and Lightning. Well worth the read.

We always disconnect the shore power and pull up the TT's stabilizers (less metal on the ground), and our tongue jack is up about 10" on the plastic spacers.... but when you stop to think about it here is a bolt of lightning coming down 10K+ feet from the clouds and the 6" gap between the tire rims and the ground, and the 10" gap between the tongue jack and the ground do not seem like much...

Oh, as far as a generator goes if it is metal cased and sitting on the ground the TT/RV is also grounded... not good during the electrical storm

Just my thoughts,

Don
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LIGHTNING - ELECTRICAL & RV's.pdf (131.9 KB, 22 views)
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #11

OK, I'm scared enough. Who sells 1/10" copper screening? Gonna need just over 1,400 sqft.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #12

Not to be argumentative, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post

Oh, as far as a generator goes if it is metal cased and sitting on the ground the TT/RV is also grounded... not good during the electrical storm.
Why?

Quote:
... Just my thoughts,
Don
Please explain.

The PDF you highlighted has some good information, but much of it is opinion and backed by shallow "facts".

Eg. - If tires are not any good as protection, why bother to lift your stabilizing jacks?

He mentions insulating space, but with the tongue jack still resting on a support of some sort, what does lifting the stabilizing jacks really do? The tongue jack is likely in closest proximity to ground.

I can give my opinions too.

There are reasons that lightning reacts as it does, but there are no rules.

I was moored to a dock at Burnt Store Marina off Charlotte Harbor when one of the typically impressive lightning storms came in off the bay. As I was installing the hatch board (a type of boat door) I saw the mast of a boat just 120 - 150 feet away across the basin get struck by lightning. There was a big shower of sparks that cascaded onto the deck of that boat. My buddy in our boat with me claimed that he felt a surge of voltage. He was further forward in the boat so closer to our boat aluminum mast. I didn't notice anything like that.

Anyway, the next morning I walked around the docks over to the boat that I saw hit. All the instruments and antenna were mostly gone gone off the top of the mast. There were little burn marks all over the fiberglass deck from the shower of sparks which I observed the night before.

I have witnessed two other lightning strikes other than the Burnt Store Marina strike. As with the Burnt Store boat, each and every boat which I've seen struck was in a group of other sailboats. In each case the boat that was hit was by far not the tallest mast in the group. Who knows why the taller masts weren't hit? Who knows why the shorter ones were in the path? "... ,but there are no rules."

A structure being grounded is not necessarily a bad thing. Sailboat masts are most all electrically bonded and grounded to metal that is in contact with the water. A sailboat mast sticks up one heck of a lot higher than your RV. If masts being bonded was a bad thing the practice would have been changed.

Statistically there is a real danger in remaining connected to the power pedestal (grid) during a lightning storm.

Statistically the chances of your disconnected RV actually being struck by lightning are so small as to not be of concern to a reasonable person. That is true whether your leveling jacks are up or down. I submit that you likely place yourself in more danger while cranking up the jacks than by leaving them alone. Lightning storms usually include wind. You're more likely to be hit by a falling tree limb or other debris than your RV is likely to get hit by lightning with jacks down.

Sorry to go on.

vic
Old 05-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #13
Site Team

The paper on Lightning is just to make individuals aware of how lightning works and how it can affect you, your family and your TT. There is no sure fire solution to avoiding a lightning strike, but you can take some preventative measures to reduce your electrical footprint.

The best description I can give is, by removing the shore power, and eliminating any direct TT metal (power cords, stabilizers, tongue jacks) from directly contacting the ground the TT sits on, you have essentially changed your trailer from looking like a large grounding rod waiting to draw a lightning bolt to something more neutral. It becomes electrically more neutral, but that is not to say that the TT is not going to be in the line of fire. It lessens the chance of drawing a lightning strike (to what degree that is an unknown), and that is the name of the game.

Lightning that strikes the tree or ground a short distance from you or the TT will electrify the ground around you/TT, if your TT is not in contact with the ground (other than it tires) the TT is pretty much insulated from it.

So, granted there is no cure for lightning strikes, but I would much rather attempt to lessen the odds of drawing a lightning strike. I live 200 yards from the gulf and when the summer sea breezes (from the Gulf and Atlantic Ocean) collide, we have one heck of a lightning show each day. And yes if you are close enough to the lightning strike you do hear a sizzle, in my 18 years down here I have stupidly uncounted them. The dogs hightailed it toward the house before I realized what was going to happen. They know!

There are summer seasons down here when we go through 10 or more power transformers, and a zillion of those cartridge fuses on the poles which are 100 and 150 feet from my house. Really hate it when they blow in the middle of the night, I jump ready to yell incoming.

All I can say is take what you want out of the document but just be careful...

Just my thoughts,

Don

Florida lightning facts

On average, 73 people are killed each year by lightning in the U.S. About nine are killed in Florida on average each year.
Florida tops the national list for lightning deaths with 468 deaths between 1959 and 2013. No other state even comes close. Texas was second with 216.
Of those struck between 2006 and 2012, 82 percent were men.
Since 2006, 64 percent of lightning deaths nationwide (238) occurred when people were participating in leisure activities such as fishing, camping, boating, soccer and golf.
Florida averages about 1.4 million lightning strikes a year. Nationwide, it's more than 22 million strikes.
Lightning can generate heat up to 60,000 degrees Fahrenheit and several million volts of electricity.
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:25 PM   #14

Quote:
The paper on Lightning is just to make individuals aware of how lightning works and how it can affect you, your family and your TT. There is no sure fire solution to avoiding a lightning strike, but you can take some preventative measures to reduce your electrical footprint.

The best description I can give is, by removing the shore power, and eliminating any direct TT metal (power cords, stabilizers, tongue jacks) from directly contacting the ground the TT sits on, you have essentially changed your trailer from looking like a large grounding rod waiting to draw a lightning bolt to something more neutral. It becomes electrically more neutral, but that is not to say that the TT is not going to be in the line of fire. It lessens the chance of drawing a lightning strike (to what degree that is an unknown), and that is the name of the game.

Lightning that strikes the tree or ground a short distance from you or the TT will electrify the ground around you/TT, if your TT is not in contact with the ground (other than it tires) the TT is pretty much insulated from it.

So, granted there is no cure for lightning strikes, but I would much rather attempt to lessen the odds of drawing a lightning strike. I live 200 yards from the gulf and when the summer sea breezes (from the Gulf and Atlantic Ocean) collide, we have one heck of a lightning show each day. And yes if you are close enough to the lightning strike you do hear a sizzle, in my 18 years down here I have stupidly uncounted them. The dogs hightailed it toward the house before I realized what was going to happen. They know!

There are summer seasons down here when we go through 10 or more power transformers, and a zillion of those cartridge fuses on the poles which are 100 and 150 feet from my house. Really hate it when they blow in the middle of the night, I jump ready to yell incoming.

All I can say is take what you want out of the document but just be careful...

Just my thoughts,

Don

Florida lightning facts

On average, 73 people are killed each year by lightning in the U.S. About nine are killed in Florida on average each year.
Florida tops the national list for lightning deaths with 468 deaths between 1959 and 2013. No other state even comes close. Texas was second with 216.
Of those struck between 2006 and 2012, 82 percent were men.
Since 2006, 64 percent of lightning deaths nationwide (238) occurred when people were participating in leisure activities such as fishing, camping, boating, soccer and golf.
Florida averages about 1.4 million lightning strikes a year. Nationwide, it's more than 22 million strikes.
Lightning can generate heat up to 60,000 degrees Fahrenheit and several million volts of electricity.
Interesting comments, but very little that is documented or directly applies to a real life RV situation. "Camping" doesn't mean "Camping while in an RV vehicle". Many campers are struck while next to trees or in other unprotected camping situations.

First. I have said right along to completely disconnect your RV during a lightning storm.

The only true fact as I see it is that completely disconnecting your RV from the pedestal/grid is the single most effective thing that will work to improve your situation while camping during a lightning storm.

There is no study which has been revealed to show that raising the trailer jack pads will work to greatly help your safety. Nor have I seen any study as to leaving them down making it more risky. It is theory.

I don't like what amounts to scare tactics convincing people that they must do this or that to their RV in preparation for a statistically unlikely situation of a close proximity lightning strike. Following the general guidelines for lightning safety will give you more bang for your buck.

I agree that everyone should follow the general practices put forth as relates to lightning safety. I don't agree that RV's are susceptible to lightning to the point that special measures are worth the effort because it will likely do little or nothing to improve the safety.

This is a well populated board with many experienced campers. It would be interesting to hear from those who have knowledge of RV lightning related incidents for RV's THAT ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THE POWER PEDESTAL/GRID. If that reveals a high number of incidents then there is no reason to listen to me.

The 24/7 media creates enough angst in the world. I see no reason to add to the onslaught.

FWIW. vic
Old 05-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Live, Laugh and Love!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:25 AM   #16

Since I use wood blocks under my leveling stabilizing jacks, I guess that helps.

I had my TV hit by lightning under a small oak tree about 12' high in my driveway (which is 15' from my 2 story house ) that was completely unaffected. The truck looked unaffected, and I had no idea, until I tried to drive it. The battery was nearly kaput but cranked the engine, and then it did run but every idiot light on the dash came on and engine died a short time later. Turns out the battery, alternator, body control computer, abs computer, ECU, radio, blinker, etc were fried. Nearly $10k in parts to repair!

My daughter was just camping with scouts (primitive) this weekend and ran into storms that were heavy. She said lightning seemed to be close by but they were not scared, but the two closest vehicles had dead batteries and when tested were not able to hold a charge and needed replacing! I'm glad it didn't' hit her tent!

My BIL had a tree hit outside his house and the heavy strike vaporized some of the sap and the tree partially split open. He also lost every bit of electronic gear in his house despite any protection he had - and as a total geek with more than 1 computer network and tons of other stuff that was saying something!

I don't fear lightning, I do try to avoid it, but I am in awe of its power.

A lightning risk detector at a pool we go to in IL goes off way before you see visible signs of risk, perhaps I may look into one of those. I spend time at kids sports on open fields and yes, we live near the Gulf as well in S. Houston.

The OP has some crazy storms with that level of transformer and fuse replacement! Have they considered underground wires? seems like it would pay off.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
...snip

The 24/7 media creates enough angst in the world. I see no reason to add to the onslaught.
That's one statement where you'll get no argument from me. I watched the "news" last night for the first time in a very long time and I couldn't believe how they report things (complete with the music score in the background). Unreal....

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post

My daughter was just camping with scouts (primitive) this weekend and ran into storms that were heavy. She said lightning seemed to be close by but they were not scared, but the two closest vehicles had dead batteries and when tested were not able to hold a charge and needed replacing! I'm glad it didn't' hit her tent!

Another possibility unrelated to lightning.

Did they use those vehicles to charge cell phones, Ipads, or maybe camping related electronic devices? Many vehicle chargers are horribly inefficient as some rely upon what comes down to a simple voltage divider. They can easily kill a vehicle starting battery over a W/E of being used as a charging power source. Most continue to draw power even after the device is fully charged. Many adapters pull continuous current while just plugged in whether the device is connected or not.

We learned that from experience at a regatta. Killed two vehicle batteries over the W/E just charging phones. Ipads in particular are real power hogs as compared to many other rechargeable personal devices.

vic
Old 05-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #19

Well I can ask but seems coincidental. Many cars have a switched outlet, which is a pain when you want power.I wasn't there with them, but both cars were in the same big puddle she said, and both batteries wouldn't take a charge when the store tried to charge them. Of course it was women and Walmart doesn't mind selling batteries, so you never know, but given what happened to my truck I can believe it.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #20

Vic I am playing with two solar cells that put out about 1.5 amps @ 17volts to charge battery when just doing short term boon docking. Might help you out, they have some flexible ones that are very light and durable, you do need a diode to keep them from reversing when sun is not shining.