Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2017, 04:15 PM   #1

Lippert never fail BUSHINGS vs wet bolts

Anyone use the Lippert bearings instead of wet bolts? Any opinions, good or bad appreciated. When we get our new FW, plan on a few mods right off the bat thanks to all the info on this forum... Thanks for your input.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #2
Site Team

The wet bolts are a mod to the suspension. Not directly related to wheel bearing choice. If you mean never lube bearings, there is a long thread discussing the opinions on here. I'm sure someone will post the link.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #3

I run the MORryde wet bolts. I had thought of doing a test on the LCI never fail bushings, except on one of my other trailers. May still do it.

I'm assuming you are talking about the spring bushings??

I don't think lippert makes anything that doesn't fail.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I run the MORryde wet bolts. I had thought of doing a test on the LCI never fail bushings, except on one of my other trailers. May still do it.

I'm assuming you are talking about the spring bushings??

I don't think lippert makes anything that doesn't fail.
John do you remember which MORryde kit you bought? I want to do this but all the ones I find say they fit the MORryde LRE system which I don't have. I have the same trailer as you only a 16. I have Lippert Axles.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:11 PM   #5

I have been in engineering for bearings and bushings my whole life. Trust me, they fail.
Biggest Weber fan in the world.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #6

Marcm, let me dig and I'll post what I have, or send you a PM if need be. I have Dexter axles, but I'm pretty sure the specs are the same.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #7

Here you go. I got the kit UO12-016.

http://www.morryde.com/products/70-heavy-duty-shackle-upgrade-kit?return=/products
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5605.jpg  
Old 06-28-2017, 01:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Anyone use the Lippert bearings instead of wet bolts? Any opinions, good or bad appreciated. When we get our new FW, plan on a few mods right off the bat thanks to all the info on this forum... Thanks for your input.
I realize I typed bearings instead of bushings and I have worked on enough vehicles in my life to know nothing lasts forever. I am assuming our new FW will arrive with nylon suspension bushings. We want to be proactive and stop trouble before it starts. I have been reading about the mods people are doing to their rvs and just want to do the best mod for the long term. Some like wet bolts, some like never fail bushings. We are looking for the better choice..
Old 06-28-2017, 03:35 AM   #9
Site Team

Ruth: I apologize for the mis-understanding. Now that I understand what you meant and that you do know what you are quizzing us about, I will share my experience. I have had a fifth wheel with the original MorRyde suspension. It came with nylon bushings which was and is the industry standard (cheap). I ordered a wet bolt kit from Dexter and installed it myself. It was not as difficult as I thought. It was still in service when I traded it .
Now I have a Jayco with the 3000LRE MorRyde suspension and as all it came with Dexter axles and nylon bushings.

I purchased a set of the never fail bushings online and plan to install them someday soon I hope.

I have never heard of anything online about how they compare but IMO the never lube ones would be preferable if they work as performed. The wet bolt kit I had was sometimes difficult to take grease without jacking the weight off the springs and a couple of them would never take grease. When I took the originals off there was a good bit of wear on the bushings and hangers so I was glad to get it done but I never noticed any improvement in the way it pulled.

Mostly peace of mind knowing that the suspension was whole again.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 06-28-2017, 03:41 AM   #10

Thank you Norty1. We haven't gotten our FW yet, but hoping this week. My husband and I are quite handy and do most of our own repairs. It seems that bushings are one of the first things to go, so we will replace them before they cause problems. With proper maintenance, they should last far longer than nylon bushings..

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Old 06-28-2017, 04:08 AM   #11
Site Team

As with most OE equipment the nylon bearings are the worst ever. Most people never change the bushings or inspect the shackles for wear. and stand on the side of the road wondering what happened when a shackle fails.

For probably less that 10 bucks, the industry could at least use the never fail bushings as a new standard. But then all the suspension shops would have to close up?
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-28-2017, 06:46 AM   #12

MORryde told me the plastic bushings DO NOT last over 7K miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #13

I put the Never Fail bushings on two years ago and so far, so good...stay tuned.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #14

Lippert Bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
In my 16 Eagle 321 RSTS the nylon bushings in the 3000 suspension lasted about 1 1/2 years.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #15

I think that's like saying we hope they lasts two years and one day out of warranty!I doubt mine made it 1200 miles! Happy Trails
Old 07-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #16

My original bushings were replaced with about 20,000 miles on them and they were still in good shape.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 07-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #17

A buddy stores his non-Jayco TT at our house because his association doesn't like campers in their neighborhood. Not sure what year his camper is but I would guess 5 years or so. They do weekend trips here and there but being it is a TT who knows how many miles. Anyhow he kept chewing up tires on the camper and had the axle alignment done almost every year trying to fix this. Eventually he got X Chocks and noticed how the spacing from one side to the next was way off. He was going to take it in and pay someone to cut off the axles and reweld them. I mentioned the Lippert Correctrack system. It gave him the added benefit of about a 2" lift on the camper and then lets them dial in the axles. Then I offered my shop/tools/labor to help him install them. Where this applies is I also told him being his bushings, shackle bolts/nuts were 5 years or so old order up that never fail bushing set which comes with new bolts. It is better to not install the old nuts and bolts and not fighting with them will make things go faster.

His old nylon bushings were OK. Nothing critically failed so we could have probably reused them. I would say they were getting worn so it kind of falls under my belief of not reinstalling a "consumable" part. If I am doing some work on a vehicle and have to pull the brake pads, new brake pads are going on it if they were due or not. The new ones seemed to be made of good quality so it was worth it. On my new camper, I don't have any plans to jack it up and replace the bushings anytime soon. If I was messing with something were I had them taken apart I sure would. I don't know that he noticed any difference in pulling that can be attributed to the bushings but it isn't really for that. More to prevent issues than improve ride quality. I don't think it was really that expensive. I want to say the tandem axle kit was $80 or so. It just took a few hours to do. In his case likely saved time because we had new nuts and bolts.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I put the Never Fail bushings on two years ago and so far, so good...stay tuned.
Exactly the same here... had them (Never Fail bushings) installed 2 years ago and so far and all is well.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
O.K. so here's an update of sorts. Did the bushings fail? Maybe. Did the shackle straps that come with the "kit" fail? Yes! Whilst sitting outside on a beautiful sunny day, enjoying my favorite adult beverage, I noticed one of the straps had an elongated hole. Long story short, Coachnet arranged for a guy to come out and replace 4 of them. Come to find out, the bushings are warranted for lifetime but the shackle straps, only one year. So what's the point? I'll post more with pictures when I return from this trip.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #20

I know this is an old post but how many grease fittings are there per side. Getting my axles replaced under warranty to much toe in. Definitely do not want plastic bushings replaced also under warranty! Thanks