Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #1

Looking For Recommendations on GPS Unit

My wife told me this morning that she wants a GPS unit for the vehicles.

Does anyone have a recommendation - I have used one a single time when my in-laws lent us the one they have.

I set the voice to a Celtic-sounding woman on the single time that I used one. I asked my wife if I could so with the one we are to get. She said fine, but I needed to realize she had already downloaded the Mike Rowe voice.

Ouch!
Old 05-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #2

If you've got a smart phone just use the Waze application. Free and a great GPS app!
SouthernKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #3

I use the Garmin RV760LMT and love it
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernKnight View Post
If you've got a smart phone just use the Waze application. Free and a great GPS app!
+1

Also there are several "free" apps as well that show dump stations, overnight rv parking locations, weigh stations, KOA campgrounds, even one called iExit that will show you restaurants etc. over the next few exits on the interstate.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Good Sam GPS 7" RVND7725 Powered by Rand McNally

We just purchased the 7" RVND7725 Powered by Rand McNally from Camping World, last week. Some pro’s and cons about the mounting bracket.

For the last 3 years we used a Garmin (non RV) GPS, that left a lot to be desired. I have no idea as to how the newer Garmin's are probably better. DW is in charge of the GPS and she spent the trip home from CW programming it. She also tested some routes near home, and said it performed (route wise) better than the old Garmin. She really liked how easy it was to program.

So, I guess we will find out how it really works at the end of the month, when we head out to Nashville for the CMA awards. I can't remember what voice she programmed in, not that it makes any difference to me.

We will keep you informed as we start using it..

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #6

Unless you're a pretty up to date person on tech, I wouldn't over buy. I wouldn't go for the basic unit, but most Garmin models are pretty easy to get use to and are very good. If you ever purchased a VCR back in the day with all kinds of bells and whisles and soon realized all you used it for was watching tapes, you'll know what I mean. I use my Garmin [actually my 2nd one] along with a paper map. Try to pick one up at the visitor center of each state we enter. A visual review of the map makes the GPS instructions easier to understand and will help you figure out when it is giving you dumb turns. You don't need a $1000 unit that gives you menus of local resturants or voice response features unless you're in to that kind of stuff. You probably already have that kind of info on you phone anyway.

Most smart phones do have excellent gps features, but I don't like to have to rely on something that ends up in someone elses pocket or is being used as a phone when you need directions as you blow thru Atlanta.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #7

I have a Garmin 465LMT which is a truck GPS. The advantages of Truck or RV GPS's are that they have many restrictions such as height and weight to help keep you out of trouble. They'll also not navigate you where trucks are not allowed. Here in NY, my pickup is registered commercial because of the weight. As such, it's not allowed on parkways. The truck GPS knows this and will not route me onto one. I also have it programmed at 13'5" and it won't route me near low bridges and set to 12T for weight restrictions.

Auto GPS's will route you where you might not be allowed. RV GPS's are probably best because of the propane restrictions at some tunnels (my truck GPS does not have that as an option)
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #8

Thanks, group.

Excellent points on the RV or truck GPS - I never even thought of.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernKnight View Post
Phone mapping apps are great until you no longer have cell coverage from your carrier. GPS units have far more coverage than any cell system.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #10

We have a Tom Tom that we like and a Garmin that is just ok. I carry a second Tom Tom in our truck just as a back up for the Garmin. Our phones are fairly basic.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Phone mapping apps are great until you no longer have cell coverage from your carrier. GPS units have far more coverage than any cell system.
This is an excellant point. Att has terrible service in many remote areas, verizen is better, Sprint etc are in my experience urban and interstate phones. When do you need GPS help? In the city they phone gps works great unless your wife is using it to call the kids. In the bush of Alaska or colorado, not so much. My Garmin works anywhere except hi rise buildings and tunnels. It gets it signal for the sats and does not rely on cell service to work.

Don't over think this. Listen to people you know and go with what they suggest. Basic GPS units are not expensive anymore. You can get a unit with great features for less than $200. Get one and work with it or better yet borrow a unit from a family member or friend who has upgraded. You'll be better prepared for your 2nd purchase based on your first experience.

Just get started.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #12

Bassdogs, I agree. The phones have dead spots but coverage in cities is good. The satelites work everywhere. When we first bought ours I even used it for trips to the grocery store just to get used to how it worked.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #13

Practice with anything before you have to depend on it. Amazing how much detail is in the maps these days. Mine tells me to turn into my own drive which use to be a county road [20 years ago]. Now its just a 300' drive to my front door.

Can't stress how important it is to have a basic visual [paper map] understanding of the layout of where you are going to be driving. That will help you avoid routes that take you on the interstate that runs thru a major urban area during rush hour instead of taking a slightly longer bypass around town. If you don't know that alternate highways or routes that friends have recommended, the GPS might take you into places that you would rather avoid.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
Here in NY, my pickup is registered commercial because of the weight.
When we had our truck built, the dealer clicked on commercial because of the weight. The nice thing about the Florida DOV, is that they allow you to change it from commercial (weight), to a normal truck classification if you can prove it is not going to be used as part of a business. It saved us a couple bucks...

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

I have a Garmin 560 truckers gps that has an RV mode. It will route you on some pretty ridiculous routes so I double check it on automobile mode. It has POIs for trucks and the national breakdown directory which comes in handy. I think some of the RV GPS units also have built in POIs for campground/RV parks.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #16

You really have to make sure that you have all the parameters set the way you want them. It's easy to get yourself routed onto a dirt road if you're not careful. I think the people lost in Nevada in the snow ended up on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.