Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #1

LP alarm

OK bought a new 2011 32 bhds back in April. Had it out 3 times so far. Came home from work today to here an intermittent beeping. Everytime I went to the TT it stopped. Took a while but I finally was able to observe when the alarm went off. It's the LP detector.

NO problems or alarms until today. I checked everything and have not been able to find a leak. Also no odor detected. I shut off the propane and opened up the camper just to be safe.

The "new camper"/paint smell is very strong. Is it possible that the high heat (over 105 heat index!), the "newness", and being closed up is causing the alarm?

I did read that a low battery charge can cause the detector to sound, but the TT is on shore power so I don't think that that is the problem.

I'm a little concerned because we are leaving for a long trip next week.

Oh, this is one of my 1st posts. If I've posted to the wrong place please feel free to move it.
Chazinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #2

You mention a paint smell. With paint being a VOC (volatile organic compound) and propane is also in that general category, I suppose it's possible for the sensor to be fooled with a paint smell. Propane has a tracer element in it for humans to smell it. The smell is like rotten eggs, quite distinctive. Do you smell anything like that? Also, here in Ontario, if a person suspects a flammable gas leak, they can call the fire dept, who will come out with a more accurate sensor to check it. Baring that, I would think a Jayco dealer would be equiped to check the propane lines for leaks.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #3

I would have done the same as you. You might be right why the alarm went off. But what if you were wrong. My last lp detector would be set off if mosquito repellent was sprayed too close to it. Hope you figure it out.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:31 AM   #4

Thank you, for your replies.

The house is heated with propane, so I’m pretty familiar with it. There is no rotten egg smell in the camper. I even got down on the floor and opened up the cabinets sniffing. Absolutely no hint of rotten eggs.

I recently modified the cabinets by adding some shelves. I stained and put polyurethane on them so that they’d match the existing woodwork. I’m almost certain that’s what it is. The polyurethane smell is/was quite pronounced.

I also checked all of the connections I could find. Everything is tight.

I really think that everything is all right, either the paint, the heat, or both being the cause. I think I may have the dealer check it out, just to be safe.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #5

Open the windows and let that new "formaldehyde" smell dissipate and you should be Ok.. if after airing out the camper you still get the alarm going off take it back to the dealer for a fix.. the RV is new and that is what warranty is for.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:40 AM   #6

Chazinn, I plan on doing the same to the drawers under the sink. I found it interesting that they didn't finish them at the factory. I guess it will give you a chance to customize them. If the detector goes off I won't be surprised. I have to remove my smoke alarm often when I cook. Toaster will set mine off quite easily. The campers next to me must have thought I was burning things when I noticed how sensitive it was.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
I have to remove my smoke alarm often when I cook. Toaster will set mine off quite easily. The campers next to me must have thought I was burning things when I noticed how sensitive it was.
Do you open the little vent flap outside before you start up the fan over the stove when cooking? We always remember to open that flap if we forget when that smoke alarm screams at us
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #8

The camper has been setting in the driveway for a couple of weeks. So no cooking has been done. We almost always cook over an open fire anyway, I don't recall every cooking in the 7 years we've been in an rv.

I did open everything up and air out the camper. So far no more alarms. We leave tomorrow for a 1600+ mile (round trip) to Virginia Beach.

I'm going to turn on the gas tomorrow and see what happens.

I really think it is/was some out gassing from the new shelves I built. I checked the polyurathane can and t was oil based. Next time I'll try a water based product.

I'll post when we get back on whether or not the LP alarm went off.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #9

Have a great time in Virginia!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #10

Mine goes off after a night of sleeping in it with the air on, wonder if it is just so tight and it is a build up of Co2?
If I'm not mistaken they are a dual alarm, LP and Co1?

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:48 AM   #11

In some ways CO2 is even scarier! You can't smell CO2 like you can LP.

Mine is a dual alarm, CO2 and LP. My alarm has 2 lights on it one for CO2 and one for LP. The LP side was flashing.

Well the gas has been on all night and no alarm. So far so good. Leaving today around 5 pm or so.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #12

If you are talking about the sensor next to the floor ours goes off about every third night. It beeps slowly and then faster and faster until it just stops. It will even do it when the propane is turned off. I suspect that a fuse removal will be in order shortly.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
If you are talking about the sensor next to the floor ours goes off about every third night. It beeps slowly and then faster and faster until it just stops. It will even do it when the propane is turned off. I suspect that a fuse removal will be in order shortly.
The one in my 2011 started to go off occasionally and I would reset it by pulling the fuse. There never was a propane leak that I could find. Then it started to going off more frequently until the last time when it went off at 1:30 AM and I could not reset it. The dealer is supposed to be sending me a new unit. I just have it unhooked at the moment since I had to put the fuse back in for the TV booster and the Jenson media unit.
rbrumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #14

Got back on Sunday, had a great time!

There were no alarms during the entire trip. I think that it was the newness and the sealer I used on the new shelves.

Thanks everyone.