Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #1

LP system acts as if it's running out of gas?

I have a new 2011 Jayco Swift SLX 145RB that I've taken out for 2 times now.
This last time I went camping in some cooler weather (about 65* @ 7000')
Mind you, I'm in Arizona.
Anyhow, I have a problem with the LP system. When I am running the fridge alone on LP, no problems. However when I use the Furnace or Water heater, or Stove, it's as if the system clogs up & the flame dies. Kinda like running out of propane. If i turn stuff off & let it sit for 2 or 3 minutes & then light the stove, it lights & looks normal for a few seconds & then slowly dies. I can repeat this over & over. When it does this, the Fridge dies & I have to wait a few minutes & then restart it & it'll work fine. So some gas is certainly making it through, but when there is a high load, it cuts out.
Any ideas on what's up? Bad regulator?
The funny thing is, the next morning I lit the furnace & it ran just fine. It just seems to not work when I need it. Could it be ice in the regulator or something like that?

Thanks for any help...
MacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #2

If you have two tanks, try the other to see if you have the same problem. if you do, then you have a bad regulator. If you only have the problem with one tank, replace the pigtail that connects the tank to the regulator.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #3

Thanks Bob...

I've just got a single tank & thank goodness... A Warranty, which may come in handy here. Thanks so much for the reply, I kind of assumed this would be a problem a lot of people have seen. I'm new to the whole Travel Trailer thing so everything is a learning experience at this point. Thanks for the lead.
-Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
If you have two tanks, try the other to see if you have the same problem. if you do, then you have a bad regulator. If you only have the problem with one tank, replace the pigtail that connects the tank to the regulator.
MacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
I've just got a single tank & thank goodness... A Warranty, which may come in handy here. Thanks so much for the reply, I kind of assumed this would be a problem a lot of people have seen. I'm new to the whole Travel Trailer thing so everything is a learning experience at this point. Thanks for the lead.
-Sean
Sean you will learn real quick to have 2 tanks but only turn one on at a time. Propane always runs out at the most inconvenient time. Since you have a new TT take it back to the dealer and let him fix it... that is what warranty's are for
Seann
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #5

Sounds like a bad regulator but try closing the valve and than after half an hour slowly open the valve again and see if that makes a difference. Some regulators have a protection device that close the valve if it senses too much pressure.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote