Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #21

LP Tank Level Monitor

G man, you're welcome. :-)
Perhaps I should set up an Amazon store and start selling the things I post here LOL.

Rkresge. I'm a technology geek, why would I ever use a manual method when I can spend money on cool technology?

Blujay, how does it tell if it's on a 20 or 30 # tank? Any idea how long the watch batteries work?
And have you seen some of the mods where members have added a piano hinge and latch to screwed down compartment doors?

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #22

I got the LP Level Check a few months ago. So far, it's working OK.

One thing I've noticed is when the LP tank is empty, the display will not always show just the red LED, the yellow one will still be on.

The other problem is the sensor is thicker than the foot ring on the bottom of the tank (just by an 1/8" - 1/4" or so). The little rubber feet that go on the tank foot are useless, a 30 lb. tank cuts right through them and they won't stay on. I took a piece of 1/2" plywood and cut two 6" holes in it where the tanks sit and put that in the LP bay. Works pretty good.

Overall, I'm well satisfied with this gauge. It would be nice if you could calibrate the empty point, and if it had a "LOUD" alarm when the tank was empty. Also, if they could make the sensor thinner so a spacer under the tank wasn't required would be a good design change.

Rick

P.S. in the setup of the system, you tell the system what size tank you have - 20, 30, or 40 lb. tanks, or you can set the distance from the sensor to the full level of the LP.
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
Rjhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Blujay, how does it tell if it's on a 20 or 30 # tank? Any idea how long the watch batteries work?
And have you seen some of the mods where members have added a piano hinge and latch to screwed down compartment doors?
Have no idea on the batteries but I guess I will find out. I would hope they would last at least one season/year at least. I also would be interested to know what uses more battery, the app or the optional remote monitor.

As for the piano hinge mod, sounds intriguing but like you I am a tech geek (40+ yr. computer tech) and telling the DW about mods like that might not let me buy all the neat toys!

And as for it knowing what size tank you have, see Rj's response above.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjhuser View Post
The other problem is the sensor is thicker than the foot ring on the bottom of the tank (just by an 1/8" - 1/4" or so). The little rubber feet that go on the tank foot are useless, a 30 lb. tank cuts right through them and they won't stay on. I took a piece of 1/2" plywood and cut two 6" holes in it where the tanks sit and put that in the LP bay. Works pretty good.
Thanks for the heads up on that. Was wondering about those rubber feet and how they didn't want to stay on.

Quote:
Overall, I'm well satisfied with this gauge. It would be nice if you could calibrate the empty point, and if it had a "LOUD" alarm when the tank was empty.
Having a LOUD alarm go off in the middle of the night, or at any time for that matter, would NOT bode well for me OR the monitor panel!
Old 12-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #25
Site Team

After hearing this, before actually, I'm liking my old tried and true changeover indicator.

I have to much to fix already on the camper.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #26
M&A

A single tank sensor is $35 at CW for use with your phone. As for the numbers changing wildly in the video, my guess is that a simulator (like for a trade show booth) was used since the battery level was climbing as well.

I currently use a hook and lift type scale and it is a bit of a hassle to unbolt the tank to weigh it. I did think about some type of cotter pin or such for quick release but didn't want it to be quite so easily removed.

Thanks for the find as we have never been close with guessing how much is in the tank.
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #27
Site Team

Here is a pic of the Camco I added last year. It is very easy to see and determine when the tank is empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote