Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #1

Microwave vs. Generator

I'm new. Just want to preface that.

I got a champion invertor generator. 1700 running watts, 2000 max.

It is a Honda clone, pure sine and all of that.

In my jayco 174bh, I have a 900 watt microwave. On generator it will start, then appear to brown out, continuing to run, but something just seems wrong.

I plugged a 1500watt space heater directly into the generator and it handles with no problems. Maybe this is just how it behaves?

Thoughts?
Episodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #2

your camper has other electrical loads running, mainly the converter, that would be in addition to the MW. it would be different if you plugged you MW directly into the generator.
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Episodic View Post

In my jayco 174bh, I have a 900 watt microwave. On generator it will start, then appear to brown out, continuing to run, but something just seems wrong.

I plugged a 1500watt space heater directly into the generator and it handles with no problems. Maybe this is just how it behaves?

Thoughts?
Check to make sure all your electrical connections to the circuit breakers/power distribution panel are tight.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson View Post
your camper has other electrical loads running, mainly the converter, that would be in addition to the MW. it would be different if you plugged you MW directly into the generator.
Interesting. I have a pretty basic trailer. No lights were on. Fridge was on propane. No electric hot water. Nothing plugged in.

Battery was recharging. How many watts does the convertor take to recharge the battery?

Thanks, I'm learning.
Episodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Episodic View Post

Thoughts?
The microwave will pull more than 900watts when running - according to the manual it will pull about 1350watts. I think I have the same Champion generator and probably the same microwave in my 195RB. It runs it but it does work pretty hard. With no other loads my Progressive EMS registers between 1400-1500 watts of load when the microwave is running. With the battery charging you may be on the edge. Do you get the same results when you know the battery is not charging?
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
The microwave will pull more than 900watts when running - according to the manual it will pull about 1350watts. I think I have the same Champion generator and probably the same microwave in my 195RB. It runs it but it does work pretty hard. With no other loads my Progressive EMS registers between 1400-1500 watts of load when the microwave is running. With the battery charging you may be on the edge. Do you get the same results when you know the battery is not charging?
One other thing I should have mentioned - when I first got my unit it actually wouldn't run the microwave and seemed to bog down under even fairly mild loads. After a couple of calls with Champion support I discovered that the adjustment cable on the choke was set too long which was causing it to run extremely rich as even in the full off position the choke was still somewhat engaged. This was also indicated by a strong fuel smell from the exhaust and a very quick build-up of a heavy and wet black soot on the muffler/spark arrestor. Adjusting the choke cable is easy and once I shortened it I got the results I was expecting.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #7
BCK

The other thing to check would be the economy mode switch is off on your generator before turning the MW on.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote