Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #1

My Thoughts on Generator Set Up

As specified in my signature below, I have (2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Gens. I have a plan of action I wanted to throw at some of you experienced ladies and gents. The Octane TH specified in my signature was ordered with the one standard 13.5K A/C unit which will require connecting the two Yamaha's together and most likely would have enough capacity for the fridge and inverter for battery charging when prompted however, maybe not the microwave. I ordered the 50 amp upgrade which includes prep. wiring for the second A/C unit which I'm told is located in the front bedroom. My plan was to install a Coleman Mach I Power Saver 11K A/C unit (draws only about 10 amps on high cool) as the second unit to where if I switch the refrigerator to gas along with shutting off the trailer's inverter, I may be able to get by with running a single Yamaha for sleeping on hot nights and even have a bit left for minimal switching on a light and or the water pump for the flushing and washing hands while boondocking. What do you all think?
(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #2

You should be ok doing exactly what you mentioned. Only thing will be fuel run time. I have a champion 4K on the back of our rig now, but also still have the Honda equivalents (2 - 2000 watt inverter gensets) in my shop previously used. I have the homemade version of the 6 gallon aux tank for the 2 units and can run well over 24 hours with that set up. Without the aux tank, about 4 hours with a 15k AC and everything else going. Not sure how long a 2k unit would run with the smaller AC as you've mentioned. Worth thinking about.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #3

Thanks John, Yes, I was wondering about the overall run time because even with the 11K A/C, the single Yamaha will have to be run in full power mode as opposed to the economy mode and therefore total run time will be limited. What I may have to do is eventually go with the aux. fuel tank system but in the meantime, I will wait for that elbow in the ribs from the DW telling me it's time to fuel up or switch the electrical plug to the second Yamaha and pull the cord.
(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote