Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #21

Everything you just said makes perfect sense to me.

I bought one of these - surges to 3000 watts, it's an inverter model. I have another non-inverter gen set at home that surges to 4500 watts, it isn't 'clean' but it runs everything in my camper without issue here at home. I'd just never take it on the road with us, hence the new purchase.

We don't have the upgraded AC unit, my bigger generator started it fine. I think the smaller one will too, but I won't be surprised if the EMS detects a surge and shuts all the power off. I guess the safe bet here is to get the more expensive internal unit with the cutoff, if I don't need it... fine, but if I do it will allow me to bypass if I need to. I guess the extra 70 bucks is worth it.

If I were to get the external EMS, I'd padlock it to the pedistal. Our new puppy is turning out to be quite the guard dog... 11 months old and 90 lbs of freakishness. Not worried about theft at this point, but it's a factor for people to consider.

Anyway, thanks for your input on this. Making the decision a little easier. Generator is a little dusty, I just finished the 5 hour break-in yesterday. My wife isn't very happy I have it parked in the house at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
20170413_133219.jpg  
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Question for you guys.

Why would plugging a generator into your camper require you to bypass the EMS?

I've seen this mentioned before, but it doesn't make sense to me. Generators can and do fail, I'd want the EMS protecting my camper regardless of the power source.

The only possible thing I can think of is that most do not ground their generators to a ground stake, and so it is usually just grounded to the frame of the generator. Does the EMS stop working if you are grounded this way? Can anyone confirm? I'm getting ready to buy one of these too and we plan to use our generator a lot that I just bought.

If this is an issue for the internal ones, I'm definitely getting the external one instead. I guess I just wouldn't use it when I'm on generator power... which is bothersome.
The EMS is looking for a Ground to Neutral connection. So to use both an inverter generator and a hardwired EMS is to purchase a 120V plug and put a 12AWG ground wire from the Neutral Spade to the Ground Spade in the plug. Then plug it in to one of the outlets on the generator. This topic is discussed in more detail in another post you could search for.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebra View Post
The EMS is looking for a Ground to Neutral connection. So to use both an inverter generator and a hardwired EMS is to purchase a 120V plug and put a 12AWG ground wire from the Neutral Spade to the Ground Spade in the plug. Then plug it in to one of the outlets on the generator. This topic is discussed in more detail in another post you could search for.
Hmm. That makes sense. I can see where it would do that check along with the other tests of is the outlet wired "right" for shore power and not realize it is on a generator. Once detected it would never turn on unless that bypass switch is thrown. I was looking at it as a too low of a voltage and possibly too low of a hz if the generator bogged down too much when a heavy load hit it. I guess that makes the decision to get the more expensive one with the remote display and bypass switch an easier choice. Now I just need to find a place to mount it.

I have a non-inverter generator for running the house (Yamaha EF6600) and if I don't bring my circuits online one at a time the compressors in the fridges, keggerators and freezer will stop it dead. Made that mistake once.

I have to shut down all my breakers. Flip the bypass to isolate from the power company. Then turn on the breakers one at a time or normally just the ones that I want to run like lights and those fridges, keggerators and freezer.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #24

Looks like they make an adapter if you don't want to make one.

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

Old 04-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #25

Just bookmarked this thread for future ref... thanks guys.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:16 AM   #26

I mounted our Progressive EMS with remote behind the power controller panel. I removed the screws on the cover, then the two internal screws holding the unit to the 1/8 inch paneling (not impressed Jayco!). Pulled the panel out a foot or so, as wires would allow. Removed shore power Black, Red, White and bare (L1, L2. Neutral and ground), and connected them to the L1, L2, Neutral and ground bar in the EMS. Bought a three foot piece of 4-3 with ground, and connected that back to the power controller panel where the shore power was connected before, then the other end to the load side of the EMS (Black and Red throught the current CTs). Then I remoted the display up next to my solar display controller in the kitchen cabinet wall directly above the power controller panel. I can see the status of the L1 and L2 voltage, current and polarity whenever I wish. Finished by mounting the Progressive EMT to the 2x2 firewood grade frame in the wall! I can easily remove it anytime!
2008 Ford F450
https://www.rvillage.com/group/2785/jayco-seismic-4113-5th-wheel-lif
kwithey is offline   Reply With Quote