Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #1

Need help with Jayco window shades/blinds

We got our new Jayco Eagle 30.5 BHLT yesterday. One of the 'pull-down' shades is VERY crooked when you pull it down. How do you staighten them up? I took the strings loose on each side at the bottom (where you can adjust) and it seems as though the bottom right side string was cut too short and making that side so much tighter. Is there a way to fix this? Anyone else have crooked shades?
PrellFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If the shade will stay up without coming down, then the string tension is ok. To adjust the levelness of the shade with both hands simply grasp the bottom cross bar of the shade at each end, then holding one end stationary move the other end up/down to level the shade.

If further adjustment is required (string tension, etc.) the following may be helpful:

Day-Night Shade Adjustment & Repair:
"Most late model coaches are equipped with pleated window shades, commonly known as “day-night blinds” with a shear section for daytime use and a solid section for nighttime use. They are pulled up and down on two to four strings woven through the blind material. The strings on each side are attached to one end of a spring contained within the metal section at the top. The other end of this spring is attached to a string that runs down the inside edge of the covering valance beside the blind to a spool located on the bottom of each side of the blind. The spool has a retaining screw through its center and a tooth on the back, which holds it in position and provides a method of adjusting the spring tension.

These blinds do require some adjustment to operate properly and the adjustment is quite easy to do. The first step is to determine what needs to be done. If the blind is very difficult to raise then the blind needs less spring tension. To decrease the spring tension carefully loosen the spool retaining screw on one side, while holding the spool firmly against the valence so that it does not twist free then rotate the spool counterclockwise 1/4 turn at a time. Tighten the screw and repeat for the other side. Move the blind completely up and down a few times then check to see if it operates correctly. If not repeat this procedure.

If the blind goes up in a zigzag fashion then one side of the blind has more tension than the other. In this case you may be able to see which side is loose and tighten the spool on that side. If you are unsure I suggest loosening both sides and apply an equal number of turns on the spool until the blind operates correctly. If the tension is too loose then the blind will not stay in position. Again adjust both sides one at a time to place the correct tension on the strings. My experience suggests adjusting the blind to have sufficient tension to stay in place and no more. This will give you the ability to increase tension should the spring weaken with age and it also places less tension on the strings".

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #3

RV-instructions blind restring.pdf Here is some instructions on day night shades I found. Hope you can see the attachment Ok as this is the first time I've tried to do this on this forum. Hope this helps.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #4

You guys are awesome. I'll see what I can do with both suggestions. These blinds are driving me CRAZY.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:26 AM   #5

Still puzzled by these shades. My shades are not DAY/NIGHT - same material from top to bottom. Also, the strings do not cross in the middle. The problem is with two of the larger shades in the camper. There are 2 strings coming out on each side at the bottom. Also, I cannot see how to take the entire shade down (off the mount). If it wasn't such a hassle, we'd just take it down to the dealer and let them deal with it.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrellFamily View Post
Still puzzled by these shades. My shades are not DAY/NIGHT - same material from top to bottom......snip
I adjusted my sister's single blinds the same way as my day/night blinds.

If all else fails, call Jayco Customer Service: 574-825-5861

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #7

With a new trailer I would take it back to the dealer if it isn't too far away.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:28 AM   #8

I needed to adjust one of my shades the other day. The string came off the spool. The installer took five stabs to put the spool on. I'm hoping that he/she was more successful on the rest of them. It is not that noticeable but it tells me that if they turn it into a pin cushion at one end, they must be a little finicky. Thanks for posting the instructions. With my wife holding the shade bar at the bottom it made it easier to get the tension right having two free hands.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #9

I think you've helped a lot of us, guys. Thanks.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrellFamily View Post
We got our new Jayco Eagle 30.5 BHLT yesterday. One of the 'pull-down' shades is VERY crooked when you pull it down. How do you staighten them up? I took the strings loose on each side at the bottom (where you can adjust) and it seems as though the bottom right side string was cut too short and making that side so much tighter. Is there a way to fix this? Anyone else have crooked shades?
I have the same problem with only one window shade facing the front, the other is fine. I have tried moving the strings so that they wind up on same side of spool, but they are still crooked. I too do not have day night shades, just one. Realize now that I think it's the placement of the spools on wall that are not even. Not going to move it and leave hole in wall. Just going to leave it alone and adjust it when I pull down so that it doesn't look as crooked from outside.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:56 PM   #11

Just bought a White Hawk Summit with sun roof in kitchen. Where do I go
to buy a pleated shade for the sun roof? Also would like to find plastic
pulls for all the other shades, cannot find the right size?
shuttdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #12

Camping World?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #13

Wife was set on getting the dealer to fix our sagging shade in our 2016 Feather 7 18RBM. My dealers "mechanics" leave a lot to be desired. Said to her, "Let me look on the Jayco Forum.

This was an easy fix, on my particular TT there is a white disc at the bottom of the valance. Loosen the Phillips head screw almost till it's out. Then wrap counter clockwise around the hub that is a part of the disc, tighten the screw. The hardest part was getting the line around the knot that secures the cord to the plastic piece

Thanks to the OP, and he has more detailed instructions, just wanted to help on a newer trailer.
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote